View Full Version : Any other alternative for jumping rope?

miraclegro
05-20-2005, 05:26 PM
o.k, heres one many women probably will relate to. I need to warm up at the rink, so i stretch out, practice spirals, jumps, etc. But, i know that jumping rope is a great idea for calves and thighs and aerobic warmup. But, guess what, if you're female, had kids, or anything close to that, you know jumping rope is a BAD idea (i will not disclose facts, -- you all know what i mean!),

So, are there any other good options in lieu of this? Thanks, Miraclegro

phoenix
05-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I just turn around so my back is to the majority of the people there, & have at it. I don't jump for very long, maybe 2 minutes, & I figure, hey, it's a rink, we're athletes, we use our bodies, so everyone can just deal.

jazzpants
05-20-2005, 06:41 PM
At my rink you have the choice of an elevator or going up a couple of flights of stairs to get to the rink. Guess which one I should choose and which one I DO end up choosing? :P :lol:

Me? I just skate around the rink for a good 5-10 minutes. That usually get my legs warmed up enough. (Good chance to practice stroking and crossovers too!) :P

aussieskater
05-20-2005, 10:50 PM
As a mother of a couple of kids, I don't *think* Jazzpants was worrying about her chest when jumping? (Correct me if I'm wrong Jazzpants and sincere apologies if I was.) Can you run gently but fast on the spot, making sure to keep soft knees? This works for me.

Tessa
05-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I am a jump rope queen! I've gained a few lbs since I was REALLY the jump rope queen and my solution is lots of lycra. I don't jump rope at the rink, stroking, edge pulls, etc. are enough of a warm up, but when I jump at home I use as much lycra as I can. Yes, two sports bras, yes, two pair bike shorts, bind it all up!

One of my fave workouts it jumping rope in my living room while watching DVDs. Makes the time pass, but as I said, tons of lycra. Lumps and all, I make sure nothing moves.

Mrs Redboots
05-21-2005, 04:48 AM
You don't have to - we call it "skip" - to warm up; I don't for just the reason you mention (MUCH too painful!). You can run on the spot (a discreetly placed arm helps here), or do various dance steps.

What worked for me is an exercise video which incorporates a 5-minute warm-up - get one, it doesn't really matter what, and learn the warm-up routine from it, so you can do it at the rink.

NCSkater02
05-21-2005, 06:01 AM
My rather extreme solution was surgery. :lol: I can now wear and do pretty much whatever I want without too much motion or pain. If only I had had him do the tummy tuck too!

skaternum
05-21-2005, 07:35 AM
I refuse to jump rope because of a history of knee problems, so I find brisk power walking to be an acceptable alternative. In the summertime, you could walk around the rink's parking lot. In the winter, you could just do laps around the lobby, rink & bleacher area, etc. for about 5 minutes. Obviously it's not as strenuous as jumping rope, but it's better for your joints and doesn't ... um ... shake things up as much. :)

Skate@Delaware
05-21-2005, 07:37 AM
I had certain things 'removed' from my life-took away the pain. But when I want a good warmup I either run in place or do a few laps of swizzles (fast and deep) with crossovers mixed in. I found that I warm up better off-ice than on.

Our rink is in the process of getting a workout room located next to the ice-I'm hoping we could use that to warm up-it would be ideal-hop on a bike or stair stepper for 5-10 then put on the skates and hit the ice.....

jazzpants
05-21-2005, 11:30 AM
As a mother of a couple of kids, I don't *think* Jazzpants was worrying about her chest when jumping? (Correct me if I'm wrong Jazzpants and sincere apologies if I was.) Can you run gently but fast on the spot, making sure to keep soft knees? This works for me.I was trying to get her to not do high impact aerobic exercises and aimed for low impact exercises where I don't have to worry about having to wear a sports bra for. :P (Also, I have a bad lower back -- high impact exercises will aggravate my lower back.) If running gently but fast on the same spot works for you, it's worth a try too. And I was thinking of suggesting brisk walking as well, but I also gave up walking b/c of the lower back problems too... (Plus I also remembered that I have to wear a sports bra for that too...) :P

But you're right! I don't have much of a problem in that area (am thankful for not having to worry about that area...though at the expense of not having my own beautiful children...) :( And for cases where I do have to worry about them, sports bras usually keeps them under control. I also found as I was losing weight all of last year that I was losing in that area too. If I had done pec flies Nautilus machines (http://www.nautilus.com/catalog/productdetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760 488&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026795&bmUID=1116692736390), it might actually help that muscle....ummm... hold itself even better.

aussieskater
05-22-2005, 03:33 AM
I was trying to get her to not do high impact aerobic exercises and aimed for low impact exercises where I don't have to worry about having to wear a sports bra for. :P (Also, I have a bad lower back -- high impact exercises will aggravate my lower back.) If running gently but fast on the same spot works for you, it's worth a try too. And I was thinking of suggesting brisk walking as well, but I also gave up walking b/c of the lower back problems too... (Plus I also remembered that I have to wear a sports bra for that too...) :P

But you're right! I don't have much of a problem in that area (am thankful for not having to worry about that area...though at the expense of not having my own beautiful children...) :( And for cases where I do have to worry about them, sports bras usually keeps them under control. I also found as I was losing weight all of last year that I was losing in that area too. If I had done pec flies Nautilus machines (http://www.nautilus.com/catalog/productdetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760 488&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026795&bmUID=1116692736390), it might actually help that muscle....ummm... hold itself even better.
Jazzpants - I'm really sorry - I didn't realise until I read your post that the post I was originally replying to was not yours but miraclegro's...so also sorry to miraclegro if my comments dodn't apply to you (as they do to me...)

Sincere apologies (and if I could make these d**ned smilies work, I'd attach a string of "blushing" ones!)

miraclegro
05-22-2005, 06:17 PM
As a mother of a couple of kids, I don't *think* Jazzpants was worrying about her chest when jumping? (Correct me if I'm wrong Jazzpants and sincere apologies if I was.) Can you run gently but fast on the spot, making sure to keep soft knees? This works for me.

Yes Aussie, you are the WINNER of the guessing game -- i am actually fairly small built, but as much as i can jog, or walk or anything else, jumping rope makes me need Depends! and it's frustrating! So, my little secret/problem is out -- Miraclegro! 8O

aussieskater
05-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes Aussie, you are the WINNER of the guessing game -- i am actually fairly small built, but as much as i can jog, or walk or anything else, jumping rope makes me need Depends! and it's frustrating! So, my little secret/problem is out -- Miraclegro! 8O
Miraclegro - I'm sorry - I wasn't trying to elicit the info - but I know exactly how you feel!!! (Takes one to know one, I guess - been there, done that, got the video. Sadly, I also have the other problem!).

Seriously, I do find that "running" with *very* soft knees and late weight transfer from one foot to the other (so that you're *almost* doing 2-foot squats with each step) really works - no need to go further, methinks! This would be especially true if you can jog - the action I'm describing is less "jiggly" than jogging, so takes any "bounce" strain off the ankle and knee. It's a terrific quad and calf workout, let me tell you! (Ooucch - did one this morning and am paying now.)