View Full Version : Ideas for embellishing skating dresses?

miraclegro
05-20-2005, 05:05 PM
I truly am skating on a budget, so, although i am creative, i am always looking for inexpensive ideas on adding to or embellishing dresses i already own.

Does anyone have any ideas to share, or pictures to share of what they've done :roll: ?

I am currently trying to figure out something for a creative program with a western/cowgirl look -- any ideas? Thanks!

sue123
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Never had any experience with skating dresses, but I know a few people used something callled a Bejeweler or Bedazzler, something like that. It's a handheld thing that lets you put on different rhinstones and things.

Mrs Redboots
05-21-2005, 04:36 AM
You can buy sticky-backed rhinestones, Swarovski crystals or even just stars to fix on your dress. Or buy plain flat-backed crystals and glue them on by hand. The sticky-backed ones can be fixed on with an iron, or there are tools you can buy - the Bejeweler is one, and there is also one called a Kandi Kane. Do a google search. Also search e-Bay for "flat-back rhinestones" - there are some good e-Bay shops.

What I have done on plain dresses is to wear very "bling bling" jewellery - that way, you can ring the changes. You can see the kind of thing I mean in this photo, dating from 2004:
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/photos/Tango2.jpg

I don't expect to wear that dress much this season, although I will if I'm going to compete a Tango in recreational matches, but I have bought some rhinestones and plan to decorate the bodice....

skaternum
05-21-2005, 07:43 AM
I've also done the "blilng" thing with off-the-rack dresses. Get a big, cheap rhinestone or colored stone pin and use it at the neckline. Or get multiple smaller pins and scatter them. The iron-on crystals are reasonable and cheap. I'd suggest getting a piece of similar stretch fabric at a fabric store and practicing on it before you work on your skating dress, though.

Mel On Ice
05-21-2005, 09:20 AM
I have used Tulip glitter spray on washable fabrics. I brought an old cocktail dress back to life, and added some dazzle to a top I wore for several competitions while I waited for my dress to be sewn. It will cost $3-$5 at Michael's, depending on sale and coupon.

The idea of dressing up a leotard or simple skate dress with a brooch pin is a great idea, and you can fasten it anywhere. MAke sure you dew it securely to the dress.

What else... perhaps a chiffon scarf in a complimentary color tied around the neck, wrist or waist?

dooobedooo
05-21-2005, 11:11 AM
For me a Western cowgirl look means:

- individual over-large coloured rhinestones in different shapes (oval, circular, octagonal) studded in a line along a strip (like a belt, or neck trim for example). If you can't get suitable rhinestones, you could probably break up cheap jewellry and stick it on VERY securely with super-glue.

- leather or suede fringes. You could get some strips from a fabric store, or chop up a very old coat or handbag, then cut strips about 2 to 4 inches wide and cut fringes into the strip from the side (about 1/4 inch wide). From a distance, nobody knows what the fabric is, so you may find some suitable brown felt in a fabric shop.

- a stetson, but you can't wear a hat in skating! You may be able to think of a suitable way to dress your hair ... a jaunty ponytail might be nice.

- cowgirl boots and spurs. These could be achieved using all-in-one pull on gaiters and boot covers, made out of lycra and painted. You may consider these are too much trouble, and you will make do with white skating boots.

- maybe a check shirt, and maybe a suede waistcoat.

- a very creative lady I know made a great miniskirt out of an old pair of jeans, by cutting off the bottoms, then along the crotch seam, and inserting a triangle of fabric at back and front to fill the gap. She then made it look really up to date, by sewing a denim blue lace trim along the hem, and similar pink trim on one of the pockets.. It is really pretty. If you have time, this would be nice, but remember you may need to sew in knickers, such as the bottom half of an old blue leotard, for modesty's sake. Alternatively, you could also use a blue lycra skirt, and paint on denim stitching lines using fabric paints.

- remember that if you are a small or medium dress size, you can probably find very cheap secondhand skating clothing at your local rink or club sale. (Also on ebay)

Mrs Redboots
05-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Alternatively, you could also use a blue lycra skirt, and paint on denim stitching lines using fabric paints.Or stick on crystals or sequins on where denim stitching lines would be - an elite dancer in this country did this for his free dance last year, and it was incredibly effective, looked just as though he was wearing black jeans.