View Full Version : GAM 400 Boot

luna_skater
05-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Does anyone here skate in these? How do you like them? How much, and what type of skating do you do? How long have you had them, and how long did they take to break in, and break down?

Thanks! :D

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2005, 06:34 AM
I don't know if yours are a higher-end or lower-end model than mine - I have 700s and love them. My 2nd pair (actually, the last pair were 650, but it is the same model, only upgraded). My last pair lasted me about 8 years, skating nearly every day (I would think averaging 3 x week over the years), being grossly overweight, but hardly ever jumping (ice dancer). So....

My first pair didn't have a break-in period. I just put them on and skated for 2 hours that day..... This pair took just under a week - I bought them on a Saturday, skated in them next day, and it was Friday before I really felt that they were my boots. I still (some 3 weeks later) need to be careful how I lace them.

I do think that is the secret with breaking in Gams - lace them very carefully! Take your time and don't let anybody rush you. They are far more comfortable that way, and you don't need to get off to undo them because you have cramp!

NickiT
05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
I have Gam 065's and I've had them for five years now. I find them very comfortable and had no real problems breaking them in.

Nicki

luna_skater
05-20-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't know if yours are a higher-end or lower-end model than mine - I have 700s and love them.

Unless the Canadian and UK models are different, the 400s would be higher. The 500s are the top of the line model, and the 400s are the boot right below them.

I haven't bought them yet, but have just started skate shopping (yay! first time in 8 years!). I actually got fitted in the 400s because I was considering the Gam synchro boot, and my shop doesn't stock them. But The 400s fit really well and I had no trouble bending in them, so now I'm worried that the synchro boot might not be stiff enough. Tried to get in touch with someone from their distribution center to ask some questions yesterday, but just got the machine.

Thanks for the responses!

luna_skater
05-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Surprisingly, I just checked out the Gam website, and perhaps the models do vary by country. I couldn't see a 650 or 700 model on my chart.

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure if they are 65 and 70 or 065 and 070 or even 650 and 700! I haven't mine with me to check the model number, and am not sure where I put the brochure I picked up. What I do remember is that they had a whole range of boots, from slippers to concrete, and mine were somewhere in the middle. Plus they had special coaches' boots with a sheepskin lining, for warmth! Given the amount of time my coach complains of cold feet - and he is such a peacock he won't adopt another male coach's solution of neoprene boot covers - I thought he might be interested. But he always wants more boot than he needs these days, anyway.....

luna_skater
05-25-2005, 07:18 PM
NEW SKATES! NEW SKATES!! I bought 'em! Tried on Jacksons and Edmonton Specials as well today, but I was sold on the Gams. They fit like a glove. Keeping my fingers crossed for when I get back on the ice next week!

It's the first pair of new skates I've had in eight years! They will need to be dyed beige for the synchro season, but I thought I'd keep them white for now till the novelty wears off. While I was in one of the skate shops today, a coach came in who hasn't had new skates in 24 years...since before the guy who was working there was BORN, LOL.

Mrs Redboots
05-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Brilliant! Yes, you'll find you have a minimal break-in period with the Gams, but a word of warning - lace them very carefully until they are fully broken-in! Otherwise they can grip your feet like a bulldog, and it can hurt! Make sure you leave the laces as loose as you can over the lower part of the foot, and gradually tighten them towards your ankle. I keep having to relace mine, as I don't get the ankle tight enough, and then it starts to get tight further up and compresses my feet. Grrr.....

Having said that, it took all of five sessions on the ice for them to feel like my boots!

luna_skater
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the tips! I had them on at home last night, bending and doing imaginary moves and whatnot, and they still felt great. Hopefully I'll get a chance to skate on some public ice tomorrow night or Monday morning, before June school starts next Wed!