View Full Version : 1st time custom dress! Help!

phoenix
05-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Okay, I'm going to suck it up & have a dress made, since the availability/variety of stock ice dance dresses is pathetic!

So, I found someone online whose work I liked, contacted her, & we discussed design, price, etc. I sent her a deposit on 5/6. The last time we had contact was 5/10, when she told me she'd send me a sketch of the design before getting started. She was also going to go shopping & send me either swatches or photos of fabric choices.

So, today's the 18th & I haven't heard from her again. My competition is in exactly 1 month, & I'm a little nervous! (and yes, She knows the competition date.)

So, how does this work--I don't want to hound her--how close does one cut it for getting a dress done by a certain deadline? I would have thought I'd have seen the fabric choices & maybe the sketch by now. Would I be being rude by sending her an email just to check in with her?

Or is this just how long it always takes? Can they throw a dress together really fast, so maybe she's not concerned?

Any stories from anyone who's been through this before will be much appreciated!

TashaKat
05-18-2005, 11:35 AM
I would be contacting her again. Not only does your dress need to be made you will also need to leave time for any alterations and also should skate in it before the comp so that you know that everything fits correctly. You should at least have seen the fabric and sketches by now.

Don't worry about hounding her, it's your money, your competition and your dress.

Good luck x

jenlyon60
05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Definitely contact the dressmaker.

The lady I use is very good with the follow-up, but then I have the fittings done in person (I drive 3 hours to her house) and by the time the fitting is done, the basic dress (without trim/stones) is complete. Then she finishes the trimming and stoning between the fitting and no later than about a week before my drop-dead date for when the dress is needed.

Mrs Redboots
05-18-2005, 01:46 PM
My new dress (I only got it today, so you have to forgive me bouncing around like Tigger about it) was semi-stock - they gave you a choice of colour & sleeves and bodice & skirt & stoning-patterns, but I think these were all stock choices, if that makes sense. And they let me know when it had been posted, and it took 2.5 weeks to arrive - I had just e-mailed them to ask if they had a reference number so we could try to trace it when I had a letter from Parcelforce (the branch of our Post Office that delivers parcels) that demanded money with menaces for customs duty, VAT, etc, which would explain the delay.

But it is gorgeous:

http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/New%20dress1.jpg

I was making a fearful face and looked just like my mother, so I cut my head off on purpose!

skaternum
05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Annabel, it's beautiful!! And you look great in it. I can't believe how slim you're getting! :bow:

Mrs Redboots
05-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks. It is gorgeous. As for slim - well, it's still coming off slowly.... but there's no hurry. Still want to lose another 10-15 lbs, but no rush.

samba
05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Wow Annable it's terrific, and my have you lost weight!! you look fantastic well done you!! Looking forward to seeing you at Bracknell, that is if I recognise you.

Cheers
Grace

NickiT
05-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Annabel, your new dress is gorgeous. I love the colour and the style is very pretty. You deserve a pretty dress after all the hard work of losing all that weight. You've done so well!

Nicki

TashaKat
05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread, Phoenix (but I have answered already :) ).

Wow! Annabel, you look fantastic :D You have lost so much weight, well done, you look absolutely stunning.

The dress is lovely, I like that colour and I love that shape of skirt.

Mrs Redboots
05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry, Phoenix - but I'm sure you can imagine how excited I am!

Yes, definitely contact your dressmaker and ask her what is happening.

jazzpants
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Phoenix, I definitely would contact the dressmaker! A month before the competition is cutting it too close for my comfort.

Annabel, as I already told you before, you're looking GREAT with your new dress and figure!!! It's nice to finally see the finish line, right? :mrgreen:

http://www.gifmania.ca/Disney/Winnie/Tigger/cart049.gif

(From a fellow dieter who lost 20 lb so far and could go another 3lbs...)

sk8pics
05-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Annabel --It's a gorgeous dress! Very pretty color and I like the stones, too.

Back on topic, I am also getting a custom dress for the first time for the Oberstdorf competition. I called my dressmaker (a college student nearby) yesterday because I was getting nervous and hadn't heard from her. She's measuring me tomorrow, so hopefully she is quick! I know I love all the dresses I've seen that she's made, so I think my dress will be nice, too.

Good luck, Phoenix!

Pat

aussieskater
05-18-2005, 07:04 PM
My new dress (I only got it today, so you have to forgive me bouncing around like Tigger about it) was semi-stock - they gave you a choice of colour & sleeves and bodice & skirt & stoning-patterns, but I think these were all stock choices, if that makes sense. And they let me know when it had been posted, and it took 2.5 weeks to arrive - I had just e-mailed them to ask if they had a reference number so we could try to trace it when I had a letter from Parcelforce (the branch of our Post Office that delivers parcels) that demanded money with menaces for customs duty, VAT, etc, which would explain the delay.

But it is gorgeous:

http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/New%20dress1.jpg

I was making a fearful face and looked just like my mother, so I cut my head off on purpose!
Annabel, that dress is beautiful! The colour is just to die for. And I know your skating will do justice to the dress. (Even if you don't have both the 1'40" and 2' prorams ready and you need them in 2 weeks...)

Terri C
05-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Annabel,
Is that dress from Six-O? I have a Six-O dress very simliar to yours! :)

Beccapoo2003
05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Annabel,
YOU'RE HOT!!! :D :D :D
Hugs,
Becca

Mrs Redboots
05-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Annabel,
Is that dress from Six-O? I have a Six-O dress very simliar to yours! :)No, it was from people called Images on Ice, based in Wells, Mi, who had a stall at Adult Nationals.

Arsenette
05-19-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm always amazed how well dress makers can get when you live soooooooooooo far away - Good luck to you!! And yes.. YOU LOOK GREAT ANNABEL!! (lol I cut off my head ALL the time in pics :twisted: )

Mrs Redboots
05-19-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm always amazed how well dress makers can get when you live soooooooooooo far away - Good luck to you!! And yes.. YOU LOOK GREAT ANNABEL!! (lol I cut off my head ALL the time in pics :twisted: )Don't forget, this dress was semi-stock - and I did try everything on when I was in the US. And the head-cut-off bit was on purpose!

dooobedooo
05-20-2005, 04:39 AM
That's a lovely dress, Mrs Redboots, and a gorgeous colour.

Don't I remember you saying that you usually make your own dresses?

Was this a special treat? Have you learned anything in particular from the way it's made?

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2005, 06:39 AM
That's a lovely dress, Mrs Redboots, and a gorgeous colour.

Don't I remember you saying that you usually make your own dresses?

Was this a special treat? Have you learned anything in particular from the way it's made?I make my own costumes for my Interpretive programmes, and have made a couple of skirts, including the one I wear for our free dance, but the only dresses I ever made weren't very successful. As in, didn't suit me very well! I'm better at knitting/crocheting than at dressmaking. My "good" dresses were made for me, but are now a touch on the big side.

This dress was a belated Christmas present, and a reward for losing weight.

Melzorina
05-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Hey Annabel, you look fantastic in your picture! Lovely dress aswell, I love the colour!

TashaKat
05-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Phoenix - any news on your dress yet?

phoenix
05-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Well.......I emailed her on the 18th, & asked if it was realistic to have the dress by the Monday before my comp. ..........she sent a note back that her computer had been down & she had some swatches to email me.........and I haven't heard from her since. *sigh* I guess this one's going to be a nail biter......I'm so excited to have my very own custom dress & I think it's going to be really beautiful. She does great work, so I guess I just have to trust that she knows what she's doing.

NCSkater02
05-21-2005, 06:16 AM
This dress was a belated Christmas present, and a reward for losing weight.

And, judging from the picture on the thread about embellishing dresses, quite a bit! You look great! As soon as I finish losing my extra weight (most of it's in the belly right now) I'm going to buy my first off-the-rack dress. Right now I make most of mine.

I've lost 35 so far, but put 5 back on while I was off ice for the last 2 1/2 months. I'm sure once I get back up to 3x a week it will come right back off....I hope.

skaternum
05-21-2005, 07:32 AM
I've lost 35 so far, but put 5 back on while I was off ice for the last 2 1/2 months. I'm sure once I get back up to 3x a week it will come right back off....I hope.Oh, it'll be back off in no time. That's the wonderful thing about skating. When my back flared up 3 years ago, I was off the ice for 6 months. I put on 16 pounds in no time -- before I figured out how to adjust for the lack of activity. I carried that weight for over a year, because it took that long for my back to allow full activity again. But once I got back to skating full out 4 times a week, poof! No extra weight, as long as I didn't eat everything in sight. I just love how skating burns so many calories. And I think that since I skate in the morning before work, my metabolism stays jacked up all day. It's great. You'll lose those 5 punds in NO TIME!!

Skate@Delaware
05-21-2005, 07:32 AM
I'm always amazed how well dress makers can get when you live soooooooooooo far away - Good luck to you!! And yes.. YOU LOOK GREAT ANNABEL!! (lol I cut off my head ALL the time in pics :twisted: )

That's why it's important to have lots of good measurements (honest measurements if they are done by a 2nd person)!! I am in the process of sewing a custom dress for someone far away, and there will be only one fitting in person. Her mother has experience in measuring the girl, so I can trust the measurements will be true. The 2 good things-the dress won't be needed until fall; the girl is almost 18 and has slowed down in her growth (I hope, but if not, it's a small 'fix').

Annabel, that is a beautiful dress!!! It is such a pretty color! You have lost so much weight!! I hope we will see more pictures, esp from your competition!

Mrs Redboots
05-21-2005, 01:20 PM
And, judging from the picture on the thread about embellishing dresses, quite a bit! You look great! As soon as I finish losing my extra weight (most of it's in the belly right now) I'm going to buy my first off-the-rack dress. Right now I make most of mine.

I've lost 35 so far, but put 5 back on while I was off ice for the last 2 1/2 months. I'm sure once I get back up to 3x a week it will come right back off....I hope.Well done only putting 5 lbs back on while you were injured! That's marvellous. I don't sew well enough to make good costumes - I have made a couple, but they weren't very successful, alas. Keep that dress in your mind as motivation - I did, and it worked! Difficulty is, I've got it now - and I'd still like to lose another 10-15 lbs.... oh well.....

NCSkater02
05-22-2005, 03:56 PM
. And I think that since I skate in the morning before work, my metabolism stays jacked up all day. It's great.

I used to get to skate one morning a week before work, and I loved it. (So did my supervisor--I was never cranky on those days. :roll: )

Over the summer, I'm going to switch my schedule around some so I can skate some mornings (Garner and Cary will be doing skate camps then) I'm starting with two days a week and hope to work up to three by the end of June. If it goes well, and no NHL next fall, I may just consider keeping it that way. I'm so looking forward to morning skates again--even if they will be at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am.

NCSkater02
05-22-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't sew well enough to make good costumes - I have made a couple, but they weren't very successful, alas.

Mine are nothing fancy, and by trial and error, I'm finding out what works and what doesn't. I'm not sure why so many dresses have the dropped waistline--all that does is really emphasize my belly. 8O

Mrs Redboots
05-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Mine are nothing fancy, and by trial and error, I'm finding out what works and what doesn't. I'm not sure why so many dresses have the dropped waistline--all that does is really emphasize my belly. 8OTell me about it! My Tango dress, which I posted a picture of me wearing on another thread, does that.... I saw myself on video last year and swore "Never again!"

jenlyon60
05-23-2005, 04:41 AM
The dropped waistline works very well on females who don't have much in the way of definition between waist and hips (and tummy).

On those of us well endowed with the latter, a slightly curved seam with the sides being at or just a tad below the waist seems to work best. Taking the seam almost straight across will actually emphasize the size of the hips.

NCSkater02
05-23-2005, 04:10 PM
The dropped waistline works very well on females who don't have much in the way of definition between waist and hips (and tummy).

On those of us well endowed with the latter, a slightly curved seam with the sides being at or just a tad below the waist seems to work best. Taking the seam almost straight across will actually emphasize the size of the hips.

I have no definition between my waist and hips. Measured, it's only about a 4 inch difference. However, I do have a belly.

I use a KwikSew for my straight skirt, and the waist sits at about my belly button. I never wear anything that high on my waist in normal clothes, but it looks a lot better on me than the curved waist. The curved seam fits around my belly and "frames" it. I've tried dropping the straight waist seam, and it doesn't look as nice, so I keep modifying the tops, and adding the same skirt/panty combination to the bottom.

I recently bought a Specialty Sportswear pattern--with the most straight waist seam they offered. I'll be trying that one some time later this year. I'll just have to wait and see how it fits.

phoenix
05-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Okay, now I kind of am starting to freak out. I STILL hadn't gotten the fabric samples (which she said she'd send last Wed.), and now the website doesn't come up but you get an error message that says it's exceeded its bandwidth. I sent her an email last night asking for a timeline, for when I could expect to see things (swatches, sketch, etc.) so I'd be aware of her intended schedule--& she hasn't answered that.

If she's having trouble w/ the site that's one thing, but her email is an aol account so I'm sure she's getting her messages. What do I do????? I'm kind of stuck now--probably too late to go to anyone else to have something made, plus I've already given her a deposit. I may have to pull an old test dress out of the closet, worst case, but then I don't want this dress at all, since it's specifically for this competition & program & I don't need a $200.00 test dress! I'd call her, but since the site is down I can't get a phone number.

don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic • don't panic •

jazzpants
05-23-2005, 04:41 PM
I'd call her, but since the site is down I can't get a phone number.
Did you call her from a cell phone? If so, you can get her number from the call logs... Just a thought...

TashaKat
05-23-2005, 04:47 PM
I feel really bad for you and wish that I could help. All I can say is keep on trying but start making alternative arrangements. If you don't get the dress for when you need it then I really think that you should get your deposit back. It might be a good idea to start getting some legal advice as well, you don't have to do anything just yet but it may help to get the wheels ready to get into motion! If you want I can try and get onto the website for her number as, if it is a traffic problem, I may be able to get in when things are quieter (I'm in the UK).

Skate@Delaware
05-24-2005, 08:03 AM
I have no definition between my waist and hips. Measured, it's only about a 4 inch difference. However, I do have a belly.

I use a KwikSew for my straight skirt, and the waist sits at about my belly button. I never wear anything that high on my waist in normal clothes, but it looks a lot better on me than the curved waist. The curved seam fits around my belly and "frames" it. I've tried dropping the straight waist seam, and it doesn't look as nice, so I keep modifying the tops, and adding the same skirt/panty combination to the bottom.

I recently bought a Specialty Sportswear pattern--with the most straight waist seam they offered. I'll be trying that one some time later this year. I'll just have to wait and see how it fits.

I really like KwikSew patterns and they are easy to modify. Haven't tried Specialty Sportswear. Just got some Jalie to try. I'm looking at some KwikSew either empire waisted or something with princess seams-that actually might be more attractive for us curvy women. I also prefer a flatter skirt and adjusting the length to an attractive level. And monochromatic schemes...

All I can say-keep practicing with sewing these things because you will get better. I've been sewing for a long time (ok, 20+ years) and most of it self-taught with lots of trial and error (boy, you should see some of my mistakes!). Lots of my beginning stuff was done with just a zig-zag machine.

NCSkater02
05-24-2005, 06:59 PM
I really like KwikSew patterns and they are easy to modify. Haven't tried Specialty Sportswear. Just got some Jalie to try. I'm looking at some KwikSew either empire waisted or something with princess seams-that actually might be more attractive for us curvy women. I also prefer a flatter skirt and adjusting the length to an attractive level. And monochromatic schemes...

All I can say-keep practicing with sewing these things because you will get better. I've been sewing for a long time (ok, 20+ years) and most of it self-taught with lots of trial and error (boy, you should see some of my mistakes!). Lots of my beginning stuff was done with just a zig-zag machine.

I also have a couple of Jalies--haven't tried them yet, either.

I have the KwikSew empire waist that isn't the camisole top. It's really comfortable, but not as flattering as I'd like to imagine. (nothing is, really) I used it for my competition dress last year. I'd love to find something with princess seaming.

I've also been sewing for a long time, since I was in elementary school--more years than I will admit to--at least off and on. I just got a serger last fall, so my first dresses were also zigzagged. I'm getting a new sewing machine this fall, so I can retire my 18-year old Singer that drops stitches.

Skate@Delaware
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
I made a dress for my daughter this past spring-stretch velvet (dark lavender) with matching meshy skirt with glitter flecks. I don't know how to put pictures up or I would...

This was my "test" dress-I was learning how to do an inset skirt. So I took lots of notes and learned lots! So for all my sewing experience, I still have a lot to learn!

By the way, I bought extra fabric and had to do 2 bodices because I screwed up..... :oops:

slusher
05-25-2005, 06:40 PM
I made a dress for a girl in 4 days because her custom dressmaker stopped answering emails and phone calls, and they had contracted with the dressmaker months in advance. I don't think it's the same one that you have, but it's very similar. I knew a couple of weeks beforehand that there were problems with the dressmaker and started talking up the skater about what she wanted, since I skated with her, so the construction itself was 4 days with three fittings and even some adjustments the day of the competition. I didn't charge extra for rush because they were so stressed and I was annoyed that the sort-of famous dressmaker gave all custom dressmakers a bad rep by disappearing.

About Kwik sew, the good news is that every pattern is based on the same sloper. If you're a M or L in one dress, it's the same for all and then you can mix and match pieces together quite easily. For those that like a princess line, look at KS swimsuit 2139, and think about putting a skirt on that, like the one from 3331 and sleeves of your choice from another pattern.

Enough about sewing! My fingers are crossed for phoenix!

Sk8pdx
05-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Phoenix -- How is the dress coming? Any news yet? :roll:

phoenix
05-31-2005, 06:51 PM
Thank you! I got photos of fabric to choose from on Saturday, which I very promptly did. I really like what she found........now we wait for sketches. On the website it says it takes about 5 business days to ship, which means she should be shipping it out on Monday--yeah, doubt that will happen. But maybe she'll FedEx it or something.

She's promised I'll have it in time to skate in before the competition--I asked to have it on the 13th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!! (What else can I do? Nothing!) Keep a good hope for me--if it truly does arrive I'll put a picture up so you can see what all the fuss was about! :giveup:

Bella
05-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Phoenix,
Do you know anyone in your local area that makes dresses? I'm just thinking for the next time round...in my old club, several skaters used to have their dresses custom made (I did this a few times too), and they were made by a few reputable people in town, where she would measure you herself and whatnot. I think there are too many risky things going on when someone over the 'net makes it.

Maybe you could ask around your club and find out if anyone knows of a person where you live that makes skating dresses for the future. Or even if you can find a basic skating pattern, do a dress sketch, and give it to someone who knows how to sew well, that is also an idea (I've done that before too). Good luck!

TashaKat
05-31-2005, 10:47 PM
One step closer!

I was just thinking of you and was going to as how things were. Nothing like taking it to the wire http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/a045.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/g025.gif

Fingers crossed that it moves a bit more quickly now http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a020.gif

Isk8NYC
06-01-2005, 09:07 AM
I once "automated" a bridal buying department for one of the major retail chains. It was more reorganizing their tickler file by wedding date than computerization, although we did introduce email between the buyer and the suppliers.

They told me that most brides lie about the wedding date by up to six weeks, to ensure they get the gown in time. I remember when I worked the phones as part of my analysis. One Thursday, a call came in from a store associate who said (in a very quiet, perky voice): "The bride is here, the wedding's on Saturday. She doesn't look too upset, but her lawyer looks pretty grumpy!"

I guess instead of telling them when you NEED it by, you have to tell them when you WANT the dress to be ready.

phoenix
06-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Okay, I can't stand it anymore--I'm going to call her. I need to hear from her own lips that it will be here in time to try it on, skate in it, and have it altered if necessary. :frus:

sk8pics
06-02-2005, 06:36 PM
My dress was ready and I skated in it today. It took this girl (a college student) about a week to make it from scratch in between whatever else she was doing. It feels great and my coach just suggested I have her take it in a little more so it's more fitted through the middle. I don't leave for oberstdorf until Tuesday evening, so that should be enough time, I hope! I can always skate in it the way it is, but it would be nice to make the changes.

Phoenix, I hope yours works out. Definitely skate in it beforehand to make sure everything feels good!

Pat

aussieskater
06-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi Phoenix - just bumping the thread up again to find out whether you got your dress yet?

phoenix
06-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Ahh, yes, the continuing saga! I was waiting to have the final final, but I can tell you so far...........

Dress arrived yesterday. It is very pretty! It doesn't fit! :frus: Very loose around the waist, the fabric actually sags. & the back stands away from the small of my back so I look fat...... So I (LUCKILY!!) found a seamstress & she's taking some big princess seamed darts in the front, which should take care of it. (crosses fingers.....) The lady who made it said mine & one other are the only dresses she's made that have had fit problems....... whatever. It will be finished in time for my competition (one week from today!!), and I like it a lot, so (still crossing fingers) all's well that ends well.

But I've 100% decided I'll never do this long distance again! This has been way too much stress & then to not have it right & have to pay for more alterations, which we would have had time for if the designer had jumped on the project more quickly.

How do I post a photo? I don't have a picture of me in it, but I have pics of it laid out flat.

Diana
07-01-2005, 07:09 AM
You can post pictures through this link:
http://www.imageshack.us/