View Full Version : Pairs Partners

OlympicDreams86
05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Is there anyone in the metro-detroit area that is considering doing pairs but has not yet participated in it?

phoenix
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
If you're looking for a partner, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding one. (I believe you're male, right?)

It would be helpful for you to list your: age, gender, height, highest test/level of competition, jump/spin direction. That will help people know if you'd be a prospective match.

jenlyon60
05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
USFSA has a partner search listing under Athlete Services and Augie Hill maintains a partner search database for both pairs and dance at www.icepartnersearch.com

Both places are good sources at which to list yourself.

OlympicDreams86
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for everything! We'll see on here though. . I'm male. . 18 years old. . .5'10. . .2 months into skating. . so far I've been jumping left. . but my new coach thinks I may need to change directions. . I have not taken any tests thus far, because I will not be able to until June, however I land my waltz, salchow, and walleye.

Blosmbubbs
05-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi, I guess I am in the same boat as you are. Only I have been skating a long time. Finding someone to test with me is gonna be hard. I am female by the way. Are you in college? :frus:

OlympicDreams86
05-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi, I guess I am in the same boat as you are. Only I have been skating a long time. Finding someone to test with me is gonna be hard. I am female by the way. Are you in college? :frus:

Yes, I am in college.

SkateFan123
05-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks for everything! We'll see on here though. . I'm male. . 18 years old. . .5'10. . .2 months into skating. . so far I've been jumping left. . but my new coach thinks I may need to change directions. . I have not taken any tests thus far, because I will not be able to until June, however I land my waltz, salchow, and walleye.

I'm real curious. You say you are "2 months into skating". What makes you think you can do pairs at this point? If you only have a waltz, salcow, and walley, what level will you be testing at?

Sweet16*skater
05-23-2005, 12:25 PM
I was kinda wondering the same question since you usually only go into pairs if you are too old for your categorie or your have good jumps (all your doubles) and your really strong...
Hope that the partner search is going well....
Sweet16*

jenlyon60
05-23-2005, 01:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with deciding almost from the start to go into pairs if possible rather than using pairs as the "I can't succeed in singles so I'll try pairs" approach.

OlympicDreams86
05-24-2005, 09:39 AM
What makes me think I can is the fact that I want to. . .but. . I'm more interested in finding someone else at my level to skate with. I never said I was going to go out and compete next month.

samba
05-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Just a personal opinion but I think its great to start with someone early that is at the same level as you, you both tend to develop with the same style and its much more fun with two, you find you sub consciously compete with each other in a friendly way for example if my partner got a jump before me I would work even harder to match it.

Dont be discouraged, if you can find someone who wants to skate with you then go for it, just dont risk the lifts on the ice just yet!!

Best of luck
Grace

Casey
05-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Just a personal opinion but I think its great to start with someone early that is at the same level as you, you both tend to develop with the same style and its much more fun with two, you find you sub consciously compete with each other in a friendly way for example if my partner got a jump before me I would work even harder to match it.

Dont be discouraged, if you can find someone who wants to skate with you then go for it, just dont risk the lifts on the ice just yet!!

Grace, you sum it up soooo well - how did you do that?!?!???! ;) This is exactly why I'm interested in finding a pairs partner sooner than later. I figure it's going to take a lot of time for any two people to learn to skate well as a pair, but while that first pairs competition, or even that first lift, may be quite a ways off, there's a LOT of fun skating and extra challenges to be had along the way.

Probably a good idea to mention it in this thread too - I'm 24 years old (soon 25), male, 5'11", and live in the pacific northwest. My skating is currently at an ISI Freestyle 2-3ish level - I hope to test for Adult Bronze and begin competing in freestyle this year.

Mrs Redboots
05-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Basically, what Grace said.

But it is a hard row to hoe - even in ice dance, where the beginning is very simple, and you do a couple of dances with a pro, and you think, "Hey, this is easy" - then you start to dance with a partner the same level as yourself, and you realise it isn't easy at all!

Be prepared to spend a lot of time (assuming you both find partners - and you will!) just stroking round together in the various holds.

I know a couple in their late 40s/early 50s who are beginner skaters (like so many of us, they took it up to have something to do while their children were on the ice), and they are about to compete their first pairs competition in a couple of weeks - only a local club competition, and I know that there is one other adult couple in it. I don't think we have any child pairs at our rink at the moment.....

samba
05-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks Casey :bow:
Like Annabel said "you will get a partner" its so much easier for a man to get a partner and there's lots of lovely ladies out there just waiting for someone to ask them, although I dont see why they dont just ask for themselves sometimes, but I guess it's a pride thing as with any partnership, it's almost a marriage if you stay together long enough and believe me you will have your disagreements once the honeymoon period is over just like husband and wife!!

Sweet16*skater
05-24-2005, 03:21 PM
I think that you guys read me wrong maybe i wasn't clear ...sorry... i really didn't mean to offend you and i didn't think that cause you can't do singles that you should go into pairs...it's just as hard as singles. I did write that sometimes you go into pairs (not always)... I am very sorry if you were offended by any of this.
---------------------------------------------------------
Sweet16*

Casey
05-25-2005, 01:43 AM
I am very sorry if you were offended by any of this.
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you - I seriously doubt anybody was really offended by your verbage, and you were after all just asking a question.

Only the skating gods know absolutely everything about skating... :mrgreen: