View Full Version : adult skaters

miraclegro
05-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Is this the correct place to post questions for adult skaters. It seems to be.

I am new to this site, am 44 year old, am striving to pass Silver Adult test, struggling with 8-step mohawk (i am not open hipped :), and skate abou 2x per week, having to drive about 1 1/2 hours to a rink, working all this around my mom life and work. Hoping to connect with a few like myself!

THanks, and have a blessed day!

NickiT
05-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the board. You certainly are in the right place as there are plenty of us adult skaters here.

Nicki

climbsk8
05-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the un-official site for un-officially crazy adult skaters.

About the mohawk -- I'm sure your knees and ankles bend, even if your hips aren't cooperating? That makes for a better mohawk, anyway, because opening the hips makes it more difficult to push and generate power from each step. Which you'll eventually need to do to pass moves.

dbny
05-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Welcome!

I have the same problem with FO Mohawks, as did my teenaged daughter. Nevertheless, she learned to do some of the best FO Mohawks I have ever seen in that pattern, and even I (I'm 58) can manage them. The trick, per our coach, is to strongly reverse your arms and shoulders on step 2 so that your back is to the circle. Lean into the circle and hold that lean for the turn. Do not break at the waist. Having your shoulders over the circle facing out of it makes is possible to do the Mohawk even without turnout.