View Full Version : Does anyone own a pair of Klingbeils?

miraclegro
05-16-2005, 07:37 AM
I recently purchased a pair of custom Klingbeils. I was told that I should skate at least 10 times before deciding on any fitting problems. I am concerned about my right boot not wrapping exactly right around my ankle, and although my foot looks right on the insert(if thats what its called), the toe box seems a tad larger than my Harlicks. I am told that is normal. \

Does anyone have any advice, etc. to give? Thanks so much.

miraclegro
05-16-2005, 07:41 AM
I'm new to this website, so i was wondering if this is the correct area to be posting questions about adult skating questions. Hoping to get to know a few others like me, i am 44, working toward adult silver, struggling with my 8-step mohawk (i am NOT open hipped :) and can only skate 2x per week, considering my job, my children, and my driving distance to the rink.

Thanks! MG

jenlyon60
05-16-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm on my 3rd pair of Klingbeils. Can't comment on the toe box, as I have very straight symmetric feet, and have found Klingbeils to be ideal for my foot type.

The first thing I do when I get a new pair is to change out the nylon laces that Don provides with the boots for a cotton blend pair, because I can't stand dealing with the nylon laces...I find them slippery and a nuisance to try and pull tight, especially when trying to lace a new pair of boots snug.

For me, doing lots of crossovers, especially back crossovers, help a lot with getting used to a new pair of boots. I usually end up going cold turkey because I change the blades over. Or if I don't, doing the swap back and forth becomes a fruitless endeavor in which I never feel comfortable in either pair.

--jsl

FWIW, I skate 3x to 4x per week, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours per time, working on dance. Just tested Tango for 2nd time and the judges liked it so well they want to see it a 3rd time! Also working on Paso and Starlight for competition.

phoenix
05-16-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm on my second pair of Klingbeils. They usually break in pretty fast--if you're skating twice a week, I'd give it a couple of weeks & then decide how they feel. If they aren't right, send them back & they'll fix it--their customer service is outstanding.

Also, what Jenlyon said about changing out the laces!!

nerd_on_ice
05-16-2005, 09:34 AM
I got my first pair of Klingbeils (customs) at the beginning of March. I was suspicious of the fit at first and thought I might have to send them back, but after about a week (I skate 5-6 times a week for 60-90 minutes at a time) they started to feel good. It probably takes that long for your foot to settle all the way down into the boot--my fitter said he wouldn't punch out the ankles till I'd skated in them for a week, for exactly that reason. I ended up not having them punched out at all.

Since I didn't have to send mine back, I can't speak directly about Klingbeil's customer service, but I've heard only good things about it.

skaternum
05-16-2005, 11:46 AM
I love my Klingbeils! They're the only boots that have ever come close to fitting my bizarre feet. I've had to send them back a couple of times for minor adjustments (due in part to the musculature of my foot and leg changing ... don't ask!) and had excellent service.

I agree that you should try to skate in them for about 10 hours before you make any decisions about whether they fit and where they need adjustements. I also agree that you should swap laces after a couple of hours of skating. Go for cotton or a cotton blend.

I think you'll wind up loving your boots. Good luck!

SkateBreck
05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
I have just switched to Klingbeil from Harlick and find the toe box larger as well - however this helps alieve the pain in my pinky toes!! I don't find the fit to be quite right and have skated at least 10 hours. For me it is that the arch is too high and causing blisters under my right foot. I am still going to try for awhile longer before sending them back because I need the support - but not the pain - so we'll see how it goes.

Sweet16*skater
05-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Ok maybe this is a stupid question :oops: ...you can all laugh if you would like to, but i don't know what Klingbeils are...are they a type of skate that i've never heard of?...thanks alot!!!
------------------------------------------
Giving up wasn't in the option book at the hospital i was born in....sorry
Sweet16*

jazzpants
05-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Ok maybe this is a stupid question :oops: ...you can all laugh if you would like to, but i don't know what Klingbeils are...are they a type of skate that i've never heard of?...thanks alot!!!
We won't laugh...here's their website:

http://www.klingbeilskatingboots.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home

FrankR
05-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Hello all,

I just picked up my very first pair of Klingbeils on Saturday and skated in them for the first time today. First, let me say that everything positive that has been said about the customer service at Klingbeil's is absolutely true. I was treated extremely well and they went out of their way to make sure I was satisfied with my new skates before leaving their shop. Regarding the skates themselves, they fit very comfortably around my feet. I was having problems with corns, arch pain and cramps in my old boots but these have been comfy from the first time I tried them on in the shop on Saturday and it felt equally comfy today. I asked for a very strong boot and that is precisely what I got. When you add in the fact that I also am trying out Pattern 99 blades for the very first time after having been using Ultima Protege blades for the last three years, I know I'm in for a lengthy adjustment period. :lol: Nevertheless, I'm sure that with some time these boots will be fine. Even if there is a problem, I was told by the good people at Klingbeil's that I could come in and have the boots looked at again and they would take care of it. So far, I'm a very happy customer! :D

Frank

skaternum
05-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Hooray, Frank! I was wondering how your Boot Quest turned out. I hope you love those babies. Can't wait to see them at Peach Classic. (hint, hint) ;)

skaternum

FrankR
05-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Hooray, Frank! I was wondering how your Boot Quest turned out. I hope you love those babies. Can't wait to see them at Peach Classic. (hint, hint) ;)

skaternum

Hey there Lori,

As of right now I am loving those babies. They're just not loving me back yet. :P As for Peach Classic, we'll have to see how long it takes me to adjust to the new footwear and then I'll have some decisions to make regarding whether or not I want to move up or stay silver. However, it would be great to see everyone at Peach. We'll see.

Hope everything is great where you are.

Frank

icecatepairs
05-17-2005, 10:39 PM
i have klingbiels. i had my forst pair for 4 years. i had a new oair made last year but didn't use them. they were not working for me so i toughed it out one more year in the old pair. this year they crumbled and i went back and had him re work the new ones. i put them on and did an axle the first day. the sencond day i did a full program with doubles. 5 days later i tested gold moves and free in them. talk about a crash course in breaking in!!!

the good thing is that you can alswys go back and they will fix them free of charge. so you are able to adjust as you go. :bow:

FrankR
05-18-2005, 09:39 AM
...5 days later i tested gold moves and free in them. talk about a crash course in breaking in!!!

Hey Tara,

Don't forget to mention that you also tested gold moves and free with a broken rib!! 8O I don't mean to de-rail or hijack the thread of discussion but I couldn't let this opportunity to praise your fierceness pass me by. :D :bow:

Take care,

Frank

Mrs Redboots
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
5 days later i tested gold moves and free in them. talk about a crash course in breaking in!!!Goodness, that puts my passing Level 1 Free Dance in 10-day-old boots and blades into perspective! Or were you on the same blades? We both had new blades, which in some ways are worse than new boots - I had both, but himself was able to keep his old boots.

skatingatty
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
I recently purchased a pair of custom Klingbeils. I was told that I should skate at least 10 times before deciding on any fitting problems. I am concerned about my right boot not wrapping exactly right around my ankle, and although my foot looks right on the insert(if thats what its called), the toe box seems a tad larger than my Harlicks. I am told that is normal. \

Does anyone have any advice, etc. to give? Thanks so much.

I have custom Klingbeils too, and the left heel area is a little loose. I'll need to get that fixed (though at the moment I'm not skating due to ankle surgery :( ). They felt great when I got them and overall I am still very happy with them compared to what I've worn in the past. I have bad bunions and have had pain on the bunions and on my ankle while wearing the Klingbeils, but since my feet are so messed up, it's probably not because of the boots. I plan on sticking with custom Klingbeils forever!