View Full Version : Does anyone have good luck thing they do before a competition

cutiesk8r43
05-15-2005, 02:43 PM
hey
just wondering if anybody has a good luck thing they do before a competition (that has worked :D ) cause I'm going to need one next saturday!
thanx in advance
~cutie ;)

luna_skater
05-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Not before a competition, but before tests...the only time I ever had to re-try any dance or skill was the ONE time that my mom forgot to wish me good luck before the test! After that, I always made sure to call her before my test (we live in different cities) so she could wish me good luck, and I never had to re-try again. :P

doubletoe
05-15-2005, 09:01 PM
It doesn't matter what it is. What matters is that you truly believe it will help. So come up with your own, something that makes you feel like you're getting help from the universe. :)

jazzpants
05-15-2005, 09:34 PM
I think on my next try at the Bronze Moves test, I'm gonna pray for mercy from the judges... cuz I'm gonna need it!!! :P :lol:

Maybe praying for a good skate is appropriate for a competition???

doubletoe
05-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Actually, let me offer an alternative to a "good luck" routine. . . "Luck" is something that just comes to you or doesn't; it isn't something that is in your control. I have learned that it is more effective to take control of a situation rather than relying on "luck," so here's what I do instead:

In the weeks before my competition, I identify my problem elements. I then figure out what techniques I need to remember in order to complete them cleanly. I come up with technique cue words that I say to myself as I practice those elements, and when I have found the cue words that get me to complete the element cleanly, I write them down.

In my practice on competition day, all I focus on is mentally saying and following my cue words. Then, before I take the ice for the actual competition, all I do is say my cue words for each problem element over and over in my mind. Not only does this remind me what I need to focus on once I get out there, but it keeps me from getting distracted by negative thoughts. And when I approach those difficult elements during the competition, I walk myself through them step by step instead of freaking out and messing them up. This really, really works! :)

Figureskates
05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
I never lace the top loop of my figure skates.

The two times I did I one, dislocated my shoulder, two, stepped out on the ice with my guards on with the predictable results.

sue123
05-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Not for competitions for skating because I've never done that, but before music competitions, I used to have to wear my lucky necklace that my grandma got me, which I also wear on exams. She got it for me a long time ago, and I used to wear it all the time. Once I didn't, and I completely blanked out on what I was going to be playing.

Mel On Ice
05-15-2005, 10:21 PM
D O R K A L E R T

Last year, I was getting frustrated with skating as I didn't have a loop, backspin, or a decent change foot spin, freestyle elements that kept me from passing ISI 3 and bronze free. And I was nervous about my upcoming MIF test.

I had just had a frustrating moves session when one of my skate kids came up to me with a McDonald's Dog toy, the series with the fish eye lens, where the dog's head is grossly out of proportion to the rest of his body. She found it at the rink, and wondered if I knew who it belonged to. Rink was empty, so I suggested she keep it since no one would claim a Happy Meal toy from lost and found. She cocked her head and said very seriously, "I think you should keep him."

That same day, I received in the mail AN 2004/Lake Placid souvenirs from my friend Denise. One of the presents was an Olympic Training Center zipper pull. I clipped the zipper pull around the dog's neck and dubbed him: "Lucky Pete (for St. Peters FSA), the Lake Placid Lab, who is going to Kansas City." He was then stuck in my skate bag.

In one lesson, I managed a great change foot, and my coach told me to go get my tape, I was ready to test. Ran to my bag, grabbed my tape, gave Pete a kiss on the nose. Passed FS3.

Kiss on the nose before Spring Show practice, landed a loop while screwing around. Also got the hang of backspin.

Kiss on the nose, passed Bronze MIF.

Kiss on the nose, won Adult Champs FS3.

Kiss on the nose, passed Bronze free.

Kiss on the nose, clean programs at AN.

Not really superstitious, but I can't stop kissing that stupid dog's nose NOW, can I? :D

NoVa Sk8r
05-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Not really superstitious, but I can't stop kissing that stupid dog's nose NOW, can I? :DHmm, are you willing to provide the dog on loan? Methinks I'll need that (and a rabbit's foot, a 4-leaf clover, and a lucky horseshoe!) to pass my gold moves test. :P

jp1andOnly
05-16-2005, 12:35 AM
ok..sounds silly but I have a lucky pair of undies I wear under my skating dress.

Casey
05-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Last year, I was getting frustrated with skating as I didn't have a loop, backspin, or a decent change foot spin, freestyle elements that kept me from passing ISI 3 and bronze free. And I was nervous about my upcoming MIF test.

Mel, I'm exactly where you were at now! I MUST HAVE THE DOGGIEEEEE!!! *pout*

Not really superstitious, but I can't stop kissing that stupid dog's nose NOW, can I? :D

I'd kiss anything on the nose for that kind of skating goodness! :)

Thin-Ice
05-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Hmm, are you willing to provide the dog on loan? Methinks I'll need that (and a rabbit's foot, a 4-leaf clover, and a lucky horseshoe!) to pass my gold moves test. :P

Hey Nova.. NO rabbits' feet.. they weren't all that lucky for the rabbit, right? What makes you think dead animal parts will bring YOU luck:?: :?: :?:

Mrs Redboots
05-16-2005, 06:10 AM
I do always put my left skate on first - before our recent test, I found I'd got my right skate out of my bag, so put it down to put my left one on first! Silly, isn't it....

Seriously, though - make sure you are thoroughly warmed-up and loose. Allow plenty of time to get to the rink, and ensure you are there at least 30 minutes before your class is due to start, and ideally an hour. Warm-up, then go and change into your dress, do your hair and make-up, and warm-up again. I like to listen to my music on headphones, and step through my programme off-ice this stage. Then warm-up again, and by now, it's probably time to put your boots on. If you are very nervous, focus on your breathing, taking it right down into you. The more deeply & slowly you can breathe, the less nervous you will feel. And maybe now's the time to talk about something else.....

When you are called for your warm-up, don't forget to take your guards off! And after you've warmed-up, if you aren't the first to skate, just keep moving gently until it's your turn. No need to watch the others if you don't want to - you may be better not watching!

Good luck - and let us know how you get on!

NoVa Sk8r
05-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey Nova.. NO rabbits' feet.. they weren't all that lucky for the rabbit, right? What makes you think dead animal parts will bring YOU luck:?: :?: :?:(Steve shrugs his shoulders and hopes to dear God that you are kidding ...)

Mel On Ice
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/melissag915@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/fd5a&.dnm=e477.jpg&.src=ph

I can't send Pete to you, but here's his pic tso I can share the good luck vibe

cutiesk8r43
05-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Good luck - and let us know how you get on!

ok you wanted to know what I got
well.............I got 8th place(last place) :cry:
better luck next time I guess :)
the reason why(I think) is because I two- footed my axel and lutz
~sad cutie :(

jazzpants
05-21-2005, 11:42 AM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/melissag915@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/fd5a&.dnm=e477.jpg&.src=ph

I can't send Pete to you, but here's his pic tso I can share the good luck vibeAWWWW!!! So cute!!! I wanna kiss his nose!!! LOL!!! :mrgreen: :lol:

Sorry about the last place finish, cutie, but you didn't forget your program!!! Take pride in that!!! :) Get back in there and work on those lutzes and axels for the next competition. Make this a learning experience!

Mrs Redboots
05-21-2005, 03:02 PM
ok you wanted to know what I got
well.............I got 8th place(last place) :cry:
better luck next time I guess :)
the reason why(I think) is because I two- footed my axel and lutz
~sad cutie :(Ah yes, my favourite place, finishing last.... at least, it seems to be the judges' favourite place for me! Do you know, in all the years I've been competing, I've never come other than last at my own rink, and I don't expect to break that record this year, either!

TimDavidSkate
05-22-2005, 02:09 PM
RED BULL!!!! :halo: