View Full Version : 1980's Theme Exhibition - Hackettstown, NJ

TimDavidSkate
05-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Hello all, its me Tim David.

This Saturday - 5/14, The New Jersey Figure Skating Club is holding a 1980's theme exhibition.

300 Stiger St.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
908-684-1161

If you guys around the area have any time, please come and watch.

Skaters:
NJFSC club members, Adult National competitors and medalists. (Richard Bretweiser, Angelo Watler, Tim David, and many more)

Take care,
Tim David

mantysk8er
05-11-2005, 07:34 PM
That sounds awesome! Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin and won't be visiting New Jersey this Saturday...

Sounds like a fun show, good luck with it!

What is some of the music you are using?

TimDavidSkate
05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Desperado - by Eagles :roll:

Geek Skater
05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Bummer I don't live in the area. 80s music - my favorite era. Let us know how it goes!

Arsenette
05-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Desperado - by Eagles :roll:

LOL did Bibi pick out that music for ya? :D

TimDavidSkate
05-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Nahs, I did. I personally don't like the 80's, the music themes are so depressing. I cringe and almost vomit whenever I hear 80's music.

jazzpants
05-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Nahs, I did. I personally don't like the 80's, the music themes are so depressing. I cringe and almost vomit whenever I hear 80's music.Too bad for you! A lot of us LOVE 80's music!!! (And don't tell me that you didn't like Michael Jackson Thriller album -- before he went from black to white?) :lol:

"Hungry Like the Wolf," anyone (besides daisies... who we know LOVES Duran Duran!!!) :P :lol: Anybody wanna "Wang Chung" tonight? :P

dcden
05-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Desperado was released in 1973:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002GYW/ref=ase_rockonthenet-20/002-9796029-0808831?v=glance&s=music

Not that I think anyone will mind. My chorus once did a "60's show" which included "Bridge Over Troubled Water", a song from 1970.

And actually while I think it's impossible to characterize any decade of music with just a few words, I would say that 70's music is more depressing and sappy than the 80's. Consider the 70's hits such as "Without You" by Nilson, "Alone Again Naturally", "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen, etc. Then there were all those love songs, the likes of which have been made into large CD collections advertised on cable in the wee hours of the morning.

80's hits I think were in general much peppier and made extensive use of synthesizers. Plus with the music video revolution that began in the 80's, it made more sense for the artists of the day to release singles that lent themselves to lively videos. "You Light Up My Life" was a big hit in the 70's but probably would not have had half the success had it been released in the 80's. Conversely, "Up In a Puff Of Smoke" was a minor hit in the 70's but sounds more like an 80's hit in some ways. It's all about timing and the musical trends of the day. While 80's music is many things, I personally don't think 'depressing' is one of them.

dcden
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
jazzpants, I'm SO with you on 80's music. So many gems from that era, both from the big names and the one hit wonders... Too many to mention, but I'll close for now with some lyrics from some of my favorite 80's songs:

"Here close to our feelings we touch again
We love again"

"You looked at me and you see your past
Is that the reason why you're running so fast?"

"Hook, line and sinker baby, that's how you caught me
My second verse might be a bit old hat"

Terri C
05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
"Hungry Like the Wolf," anyone (besides daisies... who we know LOVES Duran Duran!!!) :P :lol: Anybody wanna "Wang Chung" tonight? :P

Speaking of which, Duran Duran will be on tour this summer!
My personal favorite 80's music is anything from Foreigner, Styx and some of the 80's new wave, such as the Tom Tom Club!

sk8er1964
05-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Nahs, I did. I personally don't like the 80's, the music themes are so depressing. I cringe and almost vomit whenever I hear 80's music.

Ahhh, Tim. You haven't listened to the right 80's music! The 80's were all about dancing, having fun, and being silly. At least the music that I listened to was! 8-)

TimDavidSkate
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Can you give me a few 80's good music. I was just told that my music selection, Desperado was from the 70's not 80's. :halo:

jazzpants
05-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Desperado was released in 1973:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002GYW/ref=ase_rockonthenet-20/002-9796029-0808831?v=glance&s=music
I skated to Desperado...back during the days when I was a little kid on rentals and no coaching! I admit it's kind of boring... Should have done "Hotel California!!!" (More tolerable version for you would be the concert acoustic version... there's a slighty Latin guitar part that would be great with some footwork... AUGH!!! I wish I had the skating skills for this...)

And actually while I think it's impossible to characterize any decade of music with just a few words, I would say that 70's music is more depressing and sappy than the 80's. Consider the 70's hits such as "Without You" by Nilson, "Alone Again Naturally", "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen, etc. Then there were all those love songs, the likes of which have been made into large CD collections advertised on cable in the wee hours of the morning.Are you kidding??? 70's has more depressing song??? Hello??? Disco??? (Given me some KC and the Sunshire Band!!! "Get down tonight!!!") What about Donna Summer and Bee Gees?

80's hits I think were in general much peppier and made extensive use of synthesizers. Plus with the music video revolution that began in the 80's, it made more sense for the artists of the day to release singles that lent themselves to lively videos. "You Light Up My Life" was a big hit in the 70's but probably would not have had half the success had it been released in the 80's. Conversely, "Up In a Puff Of Smoke" was a minor hit in the 70's but sounds more like an 80's hit in some ways. It's all about timing and the musical trends of the day. While 80's music is many things, I personally don't think 'depressing' is one of them.Well, actually people started experimenting with synthesizer back in the late 60's (using the Moog synthesizers and all...) However they were analog synthesizers. They are HUGE and harder to play with the sound envelopes to get the exact voice they need. (Patching cords into the circuits is quite cumbersome and confusing at times...trust me, I been thru THAT!!!)

The 80's is when people started playing around with digital synthesizers. (The big one being the Yamaha DX-7. EVERY music studio has them back in the early 80's!!!) With the computer age, it was easier to do different things with sounds and save/reload those voices into the memory banks again.

Cheers,
jazzpants (who proudly also has a BA degree in Electronic Music/Composition...and sadly NEVER put it to use since...:cry: )

jazzpants
05-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Can you give me a few 80's good music. I was just told that my music selection, Desperado was from the 70's not 80's. :halo:
Here's a couple of 80's CD's to choose from:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JWN0/qid=1115959851/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-6216212-8025704

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004S5GO/qid=1115959851/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-6216212-8025704

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005LZVD/102-6216212-8025704?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples#disc_1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000068ZVP/102-6216212-8025704?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples#disc_1

If you want slow and floaty:

Hands to Heaven - Breathe
Sailing - Chistopher Cross (I think I might do that one someday...)
Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler (Good dramatic piece)
Any love ballad by Luther Vandross
Of course, if you want something more LIVELY... then EVERYTHING ELSE is GREAT!!! :lol:

Man, what a great show theme!!! I wish I was skating in that show... :P

jazzpants
05-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Re: Luther Vandross....

Oops!!! Actually he's a cross over into the 90's and did some stuff in 2003 and 2004 before his stroke/heart attack(?)... aim for his earlier stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005MKE0/qid=1115965690/sr=1-24/ref=sr_1_24/102-6216212-8025704?v=glance&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005MKDZ/qid=1115965690/sr=1-26/ref=sr_1_26/102-6216212-8025704?v=glance&s=music

(I should know to be careful about this one. :oops: Luther is one of my favorite artists of all times!!! Same with Sting and Phil Collins... top honor goes to my Senior Thesis topic: STEVIE WONDER!!!) :P

dcden
05-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Jazzy, my point was only that 70's music, when compared to 80's, had more tragic/depressing songs (a few more: "Angie Baby", "Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia", "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"), but like I said, it's impossible to sum up a decade of music in one word. I definitely hear ya on disco... while it seemed that the depressing songs were more frequent in the 70's than in the 80's, that doesn't mean there were no peppy songs either.

Love disco though...some lesser known (but no less stellar) hits I can toss out: Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes "The Love I Lost", Donna Summer "Could it be Magic", France Joli "Come to Me", etc.

I also bow down in reverent honor for your clarification of the synth issue.

Tim Fisher (Silver III) did an interpretive to "Sailing" a few years ago... lovely piece of music to skate to. Samantha Peele did a wonderful interpretive to "Jump" by Van Halen at AN 2004.

TimDavidSkate
05-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks jazzpants for the huge selections link :-)

jazzpants
05-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Jazzy, my point was only that 70's music, when compared to 80's, had more tragic/depressing songs (a few more: "Angie Baby", "Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia", "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"), but like I said, it's impossible to sum up a decade of music in one word. I definitely hear ya on disco... while it seemed that the depressing songs were more frequent in the 70's than in the 80's, that doesn't mean there were no peppy songs either.That would depend on which part of the 70's too! I admit the early 70's is more depressing. It's when disco came out that it became "less serious."

Love disco though...some lesser known (but no less stellar) hits I can toss out: Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes "The Love I Lost", Donna Summer "Could it be Magic", France Joli "Come to Me", etc.Love all of those and many more that I don't have time to name....

I also bow down in reverent honor for your clarification of the synth issue.Thank you. It's a "love thing" for me. It's when I had the most creativity in my life! Imagine a young mind full of ideas and finally having the toys and the instructors patient enough to help you "put it down" on tape and paper/computer.

And don't get me started on patching reel tapes and playing tape backwards... Or playing with sound mixers. It was... ummm... interesting for me. Man, NOW you got me thinking about doing sound engineering and recording studio stuff... :P (The best I could do short of being a musician myself. Which at my age and given the timbre of my voice, it would not be wise to break out as a pop artist.)

Tim Fisher (Silver III) did an interpretive to "Sailing" a few years ago... lovely piece of music to skate to. Samantha Peele did a wonderful interpretive to "Jump" by Van Halen at AN 2004.I wanted to do Sailing... but I really wanted to get a lot better with my form before I feel I could do that piece of music justice. :) Same with "Jump", but it's more an issue with speed and a good split jump with that one. (Much like Eddie Van Helen's split jump in the video.) :mrgreen: 8-)

Isk8NYC
05-13-2005, 02:11 PM
I didn't know they had figure skating. I only see generals and hockey on their website. Do they have freestyles at that rink?

TimDavidSkate
05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
nada... North Jersey Figure Skating Club is only using this arena for the show.

Arsenette
05-17-2005, 12:20 AM
btw how did it go? ;)

jazzpants
05-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Read your journal Tim!

"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell!?!?!? 8O I don't blame you for not liking that song. That's song is about the most OVERPLAYED song on the radio back in the day... So I admire you for trying with that song...

TimDavidSkate
05-17-2005, 10:28 AM

I could have done something else though. Some skaters had tango, classical, and broadway tune. Well, I was not in shape to do a competition program anyways. ;)

sk8er1964
05-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Read your journal Tim!

"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell!?!?!? 8O I don't blame you for not liking that song. That's song is about the most OVERPLAYED song on the radio back in the day... So I admire you for trying with that song...

Hey! I LIKE that song! :lol: ;)

Is that what you skated to?

jazzpants
05-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey! I LIKE that song! :lol: ;)BLEECH!!! Sorry, but I heard it too much!!! :P :lol:

NYCskater choose a good one with "Sweet Dream" though. Then again, it reminds me of doing abs exercises b/c that's the song played in my old aerobics class for doing crunches... :lol:

Is that what you skated to?http://www.timdavid.org/JOURNAL.html (See 5/15/2005 entry...)

Arsenette
05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
LOL Tim I crack up how you do things completely on the fly :lol:

Hope everall you liked the experience :D

TimDavidSkate
05-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I do learn a lot of stuff in every show, test, & competition. :D