View Full Version : skating drama

batikat
05-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I've just spent a good many hours on the ice as an extra in a new Granada TV drama (actually a murder mystery). I think the entire ice rink section, including the on-ice bit and afterwards in the bar (for which sadly I didnt' get picked -wrong clothes and had the kids with me) will last all of 2 and half minutes on screen. Never mind I shall be watching to see if I make it onscreen even for a millisecond! I'd be watching it anyway since it stars David Tennant (who will be the new Dr Who). There's an awful lot of retakes and standing around in filming but it was worth it to get to speak to David!

Anyway for anyone in the UK it will be called Secret Smile and will probably be out in a few months time.

NickiT
05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Glad it went well. I didn't stay since I had to dive out for half an hour to collect the kids from school and I know they wanted people who would be able to stay the whole time. It put me off that there was so much hanging around to be honest, but I hope that those who did take part, get to see themselves on the TV!

Nicki

Melzorina
05-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I had a chance to e an ice extra in a film being made once, and I got all excited about it until the producers changed their minds and had a club scene instead, which you had to be 16 for, and I was 15, turning 16 in about 2 months time.

I was really looking forward to free ice time, all day aswell... :(

sue123
05-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I might be the focus of my friends video journalism project. It should be fun if she and her partner decide to go with the ice skating "story".

I hope you do wind up on TV, it's always fun when that happens. And then you can tell people you're famous. My own personal claim to fame is once, they were filiming a movie at the train station by my house, and I'm getting off the stop, and there's a camera practically in my face, and if you look hard, you'll see me.

batikat
05-09-2005, 04:25 PM
I was really looking forward to free ice time, all day aswell... :(

To be honest I doubt you missed much - there was an awful lot of waiting about and then they reshoot and reshoot the same scene over and over so you are forever going back to 'first positions' and skating the same bit again. Plus they wanted it to look like a public session so you couldn't really do much and when they were rehearsing the actors you just had to stand still on ice and wait. It was only getting the chance to speak to David Tennant that made it worthwhile! :D

As far as being on TV goes, I reckon about a millisecond of the back of my head is the most I can hope for but I can have fun trying to spot the other club members.

Mrs Redboots
05-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Yeah, they filmed a couple of skaters at our rink a few years ago when they were doing a feature on John Curry. They spent hours, literally, filming - and when push came to shove, all you saw of the small boy who played Curry as a child was about 2 seconds, and the other skater was cut completely except for a shot of his skates spinning which they used as a link between scenes!