View Full Version : Proposed Adult MITF Requirement changes at GC...

jazzpants
05-08-2005, 12:01 PM
This blog (http://www.marie.org/rink/) didn't mentioned anything about the Proposed Adult MITF changes. Does this mean it quietly passed with no changes?

Enquiring minds wanna know... :P TIA!

jazzpants
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
AH!!! Just read the other skating boards from another GC delegate. (Ironically the same person the blog mentioned suggested the age limit be lower to 18. LOL!!!)

Yeap! It quietly passed! No discussions! Nada!!! That was quick... :P

Any comments?

icedancer2
05-08-2005, 04:27 PM
My only comment is that if they ever decided to take the Power 3s out of the Bronze Moves, I would take it TOMORROW!!

With that move still in there, I will probably take it NADA!

Oh well, glad they passed anyway. Could never see myself doing that Novice Move that was in the Gold test at any time, EVER!! :roll:

InsideAxel
05-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Could someone post what the revised tests will consist of and when the changes go in effect?

Thanks,

Kelton

Terri C
05-08-2005, 05:19 PM
My only comment is that if they ever decided to take the Power 3s out of the Bronze Moves, I would take it TOMORROW:

I really, really wish that they would give a free move out of the Bronze MIF for those of us that had to suffer through the Alternating 3's on Pre Bronze!

Debbie S
05-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I really, really wish that they would give a free move out of the Bronze MIF for those of us that had to suffer through the Alternating 3's on Pre Bronze!

Like maybe exemption from the power 3's? Or maybe reimbursement for all the ice time and lessons that were solely focused on that move? :twisted:

Could someone post what the revised tests will consist of and when the changes go in effect?

I believe the changes consist of the following:

Pre-Bronze - no alt 3's, replaced with waltz 8
Bronze - no changes
Silver - no slide chasses, replaced with power pulls
Gold - no Novice move, replaced with slide chasses

There is also a change, supposedly, in the evaluation of the moves where power is a focus. Instead of power, it is now defined as "flow and strength of edge." Of course, that doesn't mean that the judges will actualy change their criteria for passing on those moves.

jenlyon60
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
there's also a new MIF added to Pre-Bronze that has a combination of FI3s and FO3s.

froggy
05-08-2005, 08:46 PM
hi fellow skaters!!! is there a place where all the details for the new MITF are listed (esp the pre-bronze). Pleas post the link.

thanks so much and happy skating!!

slusher
05-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Look here:

http://www.usfsa.org/content/Adult3sDiagrams.pdf

icedancer2
05-08-2005, 08:58 PM
You know, I tried this "new" move last summer when I first saw it on the USFS site, and I really don't think it's any "easier" than the alternating 3s.

Anyone else try it?

What WERE they thinking??????? :roll:

dbny
05-08-2005, 09:16 PM
You know, I tried this "new" move last summer when I first saw it on the USFS site, and I really don't think it's any "easier" than the alternating 3s.

Anyone else try it?

What WERE they thinking??????? :roll:

I haven't tried it yet, but checking the FO three sufficiently to hold the BI edge to the axis and then getting the Choctaw without regression seems a lot harder to me than the BO Mohawk to a FO three and stroking to a BI edge at the axis. Will try it tomorrow afternoon.

sk8er1964
05-08-2005, 09:32 PM
I am really glad they took the novice move off the Gold test. There was really nothing in the adult testing system that prepared you for that particular move, and it was very hard to learn properly.

The intermediate power threes around the end are a good prep for that move, but the adults never saw that one on their tests.

TimDavidSkate
05-08-2005, 09:56 PM
:P Yes!!!!!

MissIndigo
05-09-2005, 12:32 AM
*whew*

Having practiced those power pulls will pay off now! Man, do I hope I don't have the trouble passing Silver that I did Bronze!

phoenix
05-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Was anything passed re. crossing over from std. to adult track, so you wouldn't have to start all over w/ adult pre-bronze?

phillyskater
05-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Please see my later post with information from the Adult Skating Committee regarding changes to the Adult MIF tests.

Debbie S
05-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi philly! I hope you're doing well.

The new Adult MIF requirements/changes were passed by the USFSA's Board of Directors last October (or was it November? the press release is in the News archives section of the USFSA website). I think approval at GC was just a formality, which is maybe why there was no discussion of it and why it wasn't listed in the proposals. Jazzpants seems to have found info that suggests the changes passed - I would think an official rundown wil be posted on the USFSA website soon, so we'll wait and see.

phillyskater
05-09-2005, 11:21 AM
The new Adult MIF requirements/changes were passed by the USFSA's Board of Directors last October (or was it November? the press release is in the News archives section of the USFSA website). I think approval at GC was just a formality, which is maybe why there was no discussion of it and why it wasn't listed in the proposals. Jazzpants seems to have found info that suggests the changes passed - I would think an official rundown wil be posted on the USFSA website soon, so we'll wait and see.

Anything that was passed by the Board of Directors throughout the year still has to be ratified by the GC (at least that's my understanding after having attended the meeting - a large portion of our time on Saturday was spent voting on items that had been passed by the Board of Directors already). Delegates were sent a large package of information on everything that was up for vote (and not everything is put up for discussion - there has to be a motion made). Maybe someone out there with more information about the process can shed some light for us....

philly

vesperholly
05-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Anything that was passed by the Board of Directors throughout the year still has to be ratified by the GC (at least that's my understanding after having attended the meeting - a large portion of our time on Saturday was spent voting on items that had been passed by the Board of Directors already). Delegates were sent a large package of information on everything that was up for vote (and not everything is put up for discussion - there has to be a motion made) and I didn't see anything in there about the Adult MIF changes. Maybe someone out there with more information about the process can shed some light for us....
I went to GC in 2003. As far as I know you're correct, but someone must isolate an item from the proposal for discussion/amending and voting. If no one isolates the item, it's considered that no one has objections and the item is considered passed. Perhaps some of the things you voted on Saturday were contingent on vote passing due to a by-law or something?

BTW - I'd have loved to go to GC this year, especially since I've been affected by the AN rules, but I'm no longer on my club's board of directors and they'll only send people on the board. So don't think that just because some people couldn't go doesn't mean they wouldn't want to go. You only get a vote if your club sends you, so what would be the point otherwise?

jazzpants
05-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Jazzpants seems to have found info that suggests the changes passed - I would think an official rundown wil be posted on the USFSA website soon, so we'll wait and see.I found out thru unofficial sources. (One of the delegates who went to GC posted on another board and mentioned in passing "Oh, BTW, the Adult MIF changes has passed.")

You know, I was expecting this topic to raise more noise at GC (and here on skatingforums.com) than the Age Group stuff. Weird... :P (Not that it matters to me anyway... I'm still training for the Bronze Moves test the same as before.)

coskater64
05-09-2005, 01:19 PM
The changes for the moves were not isolated, they were passed by the board and therefore they passed.

la

jazzpants
05-09-2005, 01:26 PM
The changes for the moves were not isolated, they were passed by the board and therefore they passed.Yeap! Just read it on Marie's Blog too! :mrgreen:

Better get a new USFSA rulebook guys!

phillyskater
05-09-2005, 01:32 PM
The Adult Skating Committee (i.e. Maggie Harding) has spoken (and the other delegate was correct)....the new Adult MITF requirements were ratified by the GC last weekend. They were included in a report from the Fall Board of Directors meeting (a.k.a. the "pink pages"), not the report from the most recent Board of Directors meeting (a.k.a the "green pages") or the Committee's most recent requests for action. So there you have it, straight from the Committee Chair. It's a done deal to become effective September 1.

philly

Debbie S
05-09-2005, 01:41 PM
The only thing I have seen is a note on Marie's blog (see jazzpants's link). You need to scroll down, b/c she added a note about it in the comments area.

You're right, we should wait for official confirmation from someone. As I said in the other thread, the USFSA has not done a good job of getting the info out - maybe everybody there took a vacation today?

Keep us posted on Maggie Harding's response. :)

vesperholly
05-09-2005, 03:49 PM
I found out thru unofficial sources. (One of the delegates who went to GC posted on another board and mentioned in passing "Oh, BTW, the Adult MIF changes has passed.")
Woo hoo! I don't have to take adult moves! 8-) I've told my coach to sign me up for Pre-Bronze and Bronze freestyle for the next test session. I'm hoping to compete Silver at next year's ANs. After failing my Novice moves test twice now, I'm ready for a few easy passes. :)

ETA: Oh, wait, if nothing was marked urgent then I have to wait until after my 25th birthday at the end of July. :( I was kind of excited for Pre-Bronze.

jazzpants
05-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Edit posting...Never mind... I just read that it's official... Go celebrate your b-day first, vesperholly... then go take that pre-Bronze and Bronze moves test. Should be an easy pass for you. :D

phoenix
05-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Actually, don't these changes take effect Sept. 1? In which case FS tests can't be taken yet w/o adult moves since the crossover isn't in effect yet.....

btw, what are the crossover rules? what standard MIF field test exempts you from what adult MIF test?

icedancer2
05-09-2005, 05:50 PM
We were talking about this issue again today at my rink -- in the Pre-Bronze Move, are the alternating 3s replaced by a Waltz 8? Or that new Forward 3-turn pattern?

Inquiring minds, you know...

PattyP
05-09-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm still PO'd about the time and effort I put in to learn that *%#*Novice move to pass my Gold test! :evil: I learned the slide chasse pattern very quickly. I spent over a YEAR getting that Novice move passable. I guess if I hadn't yet passed, I would have been celebrating the rule change. :roll:

coskater64
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Yes but know you are better prepared for the novice, once you've past the intermediate moves.

Debbie S
05-09-2005, 10:11 PM
We were talking about this issue again today at my rink -- in the Pre-Bronze Move, are the alternating 3s replaced by a Waltz 8? Or that new Forward 3-turn pattern?

Inquiring minds, you know...

Both. There are now 5 moves in the Pre-Bronze test. Still marked as pass/retry.

icedancer2
05-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Both. There are now 5 moves in the Pre-Bronze test. Still marked as pass/retry.

thanks -- I will pass that along -- I wonder when this will go into effect??

jazzpants
05-10-2005, 12:37 AM
thanks -- I will pass that along -- I wonder when this will go into effect??It starts in Sept this year, which marks the start of the new skating year. I highly recommend your coach (or you) getting a USFSA rulebook for the 2005-2006 year, so you can get the patten for the new move (and all the other moves) neatly organized in a binder.

Thin-Ice
05-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Better get a new USFSA rulebook guys!

Everyone should actually get a new rulebook every year... there's more in there than you know.. not to mention, it saves having to ask people who PROBABLY know what elements are on what tests no matter when you take them!

vesperholly
05-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Yes but know you are better prepared for the novice, once you've past the intermediate moves.
If you thought the Novice consecutive 3-turns pattern was difficult, welcome to the hell that is rocker choctaws. I could do the 3-turn pattern immediately (*do*, it took me two years to get that move *passable*) but the rocker choctaws are HELL. Practice lots and lots of back inside rockers with your free foot held tight to your skating foot (toe to heel).

I am excited though, now I can create a fun 1:30 Bronze program and not have to worry about where to put jumps/spins because I can do all of them consistently. Too bad I've already passed PJ and must compete Silver (really, I should anyway even though my axel sucks) because a 1:40 program in Bronze would be fun.

PattyP
05-10-2005, 10:11 AM
If you thought the Novice consecutive 3-turns pattern was difficult, welcome to the hell that is rocker choctaws. I could do the 3-turn pattern immediately (*do*, it took me two years to get that move *passable*) but the rocker choctaws are HELL. Practice lots and lots of back inside rockers with your free foot held tight to your skating foot (toe to heel).

I agree. I was taught this move a couple of years ago when I was working with a dance coach, but found it extremely difficult and finally gave up. Someday I may try again. It looks really cool when its done properly.

doubletoe
05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm still PO'd about the time and effort I put in to learn that *%#*Novice move to pass my Gold test! :evil: I learned the slide chasse pattern very quickly. I spent over a YEAR getting that Novice move passable. I guess if I hadn't yet passed, I would have been celebrating the rule change. :roll:

I'm sorry, Patty. . . :cry:

But I hope you don't mind if *I* celebrate!
YIPPEE!!! :lol: Bwaahaahaahaa--! :twisted:

There, had to get that out of my system. ;)

PattyP
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry, Patty. . . :cry:

But I hope you don't mind if *I* celebrate!
YIPPEE!!! :lol: Bwaahaahaahaa--! :twisted:

There, had to get that out of my system. ;)

Bitc*! ;)

momskates
05-11-2005, 10:24 AM
AH!!! Just read the other skating boards from another GC delegate. (Ironically the same person the blog mentioned suggested the age limit be lower to 18. LOL!!!)

Yeap! It quietly passed! No discussions! Nada!!! That was quick... :P

Any comments?

Can you post a link to the blog you mentioned?

climbsk8
05-11-2005, 11:03 AM
A lot of these moves are hard. I offered to repaint the boards at my rink after clipping them so many times learning the gold/novice pattern (the one they just did away with.)

To all of those frustrated adult skaters out there .... BE GLAD that the USFSA is listening and making adjustments to these moves tests. They DIDN'T do it because we whined ... the changes are based on test results and percentages.

If you have a move that is challenging for you, and we all do, get to work. Don't wait around for the USFSA to dumb down the rules. If skating was easy, everybody would be doing it. Take all of this rampant frustration and channel it towards something positive for a change.

jazzpants
05-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Can you post a link to the blog you mentioned?The blog that I mentioned about is this one...

http://www.marie.org/rink

But the original source of info I got it from was thru the Competitive Adult Skaters Yahoo Groups.

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/compadultsk8s/

jazzpants
05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know which of the moves' grandfathering proposals got passed. (A, B or C?) The three listed are listed under 7. of this link:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=27717

TIA.

pennybeagle
05-11-2005, 09:23 PM

Hi Patty--

If it makes you feel any better, I've been working on that novice move for my gold MITF test for about 18 months, and now my coach wants me to test it this summer--BEFORE the rule change. I, of course, am prepared to take it in the summer, fail on account of crashing into the boards on the CW novice 3's, and then re-take it in September at Peach!

I'm probably the odd one out, but I find the rocker choctaws easier than the inside 3 pattern--somehow, I never feel like I'm spinning out of control when I do them. That said, they're still wicked hard.

vesperholly
05-11-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm probably the odd one out, but I find the rocker choctaws easier than the inside 3 pattern--somehow, I never feel like I'm spinning out of control when I do them. That said, they're still wicked hard.
If you have any tips on how to maintain speed through the end patterns, I'm all ears. I am practically crawling on the ends, and it's not like I don't do the side pattern with speed. Grr!

My tip for the 3-turns is to find a cadence with the turns. If you get into a steady rhythm, there's no need to spin these around super fast. The quickness from the test actually refers to how quick the 3-turn goes from one edge to the other, not the rapidity of the end pattern as a whole.

coskater64
05-12-2005, 02:09 PM
I used to do 5 lovely quick rockers across the end, nice easy cadence, but because I am tall I had issues w/ looking slow. I doubled my foot speed and the cadence over the course of 6 months, it was not easy especially the CW but I finally managed to pass and the quickness was noted so if I can do it, anyone can. The strange thing is a did 6 which is the max and I had an even cadence but the rocker choc was really quick. I don't know that the wall has ever recovered. :lol:

Now I have fun w/ the choctaws, I am just getting solid edges but they are still weak.

saras
05-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know which of the moves' grandfathering proposals got passed. (A, B or C?) The three listed are listed under 7. of this link:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=27717

TIA.

I dont' think they were an either/or thing - I think they all passed. I didn't read closely though. My read was that they each listed slightly different ways of crossing over (different starting conditions).

Don't quote me though ;)

Sara

pennybeagle
05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
If you have any tips on how to maintain speed through the end patterns, I'm all ears. I am practically crawling on the ends, and it's not like I don't do the side pattern with speed. Grr!

My tip for the 3-turns is to find a cadence with the turns. If you get into a steady rhythm, there's no need to spin these around super fast. The quickness from the test actually refers to how quick the 3-turn goes from one edge to the other, not the rapidity of the end pattern as a whole.

With both the inside 3s and the rocker choctaws, my coach is always after me to make sure I get a good cross-under (before the BI3 or the rocker). I haven't been told I have a problem with speed on the end patterns yet, but then again, I doubt I'm doing the moves at novice-test quality yet.

Thanks for the advice on the 3-turns--I have a pretty good sense of cadence on my CCW turns, but my problem with the CW inside 3's is that I tend to panic, hold my breath, and then get very shallow in my knees towards the end of the pattern. Of course, this means that I start jumping turns, skidding turns, or just lose control of them altogether. It's a total mental thing, and I know it--I just can't seem to get over the "impending train wreck" moment of panic-stricken terror as I do the final crossover going into the end pattern. :giveup:

vesperholly
05-12-2005, 08:39 PM
It's a total mental thing, and I know it--I just can't seem to get over the "impending train wreck" moment of panic-stricken terror as I do the final crossover going into the end pattern. :giveup:
To quote Bridget Jones, Doooooooooooom. :)

I used to be hesitant of that first turn, too. Top speed back crossover directly into a 3-turn is difficult. I practiced doing a big, deep crossover with a lot of push, holding the BI edge with my free foot tucked under, then BI 3-turn, over and over again. Getting this step right sets you up for the entire end pattern, and when you have it down it will give you a nice amount of speed, too. It should have a sweepy quality.

The problem with the quick rockers is that there is FW crossover into a rocker turn before the end pattern. It's so hard to maintain any speed out of a rocker turn. I'm paranoid about my edges so I do a true rocker, but I can't do one at top speed so I slow down before it and end up crawling.

It also doesn't help that I sprained my left ankle very badly last summer on this exact move (did RFO rocker, step down, and went to do the BI rocker and my blade got caught in the ice while my body kept going. OW).

PattyP
05-13-2005, 10:26 AM
It's a total mental thing, and I know it--I just can't seem to get over the "impending train wreck" moment of panic-stricken terror as I do the final crossover going into the end pattern. :giveup:

I'm cracking up as I read this because it describes EXACTLY how I felt when I worked on this move!

jazzpants
05-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Here's the official stuff:

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2005CombinedROA.pdf

(For the competitive adults skaters... page 30-34 is relevant to you.) :D