View Full Version : what style are you?

windsor
05-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Okay, fellow skaters, just for fun...

While flipping through a book on skating last night, certain skaters' styles were characterized in specific ways and I was wondering what other skaters thought about their own styles....

So, are you..
1) the caring cutup
2) the charismatic dancer
3) the majestic presence
4) the sex symbol
5) the steel magnolia
6) or....the rebel warrior On the Ice?

Which of these best characterizes you? Or, how do you think a writer would describe your style - or a reporter in a sound bite?

Is that what you WANT to be? Or would you rather be another type, it just isn't quite in you (yet)?

jazzpants
05-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I want to be the either the "charismatic dancer" or the "sex symbol." But *sigh* I AM the "caring cutup" right now! Just ask anyone who has watched me take lessons with my coaches!!! It's a comedy sketch on its own at times! LOL!!! :lol:

The "charismatic dancer" can be done in a few years once I get some dance (ice or off-ice) background. The "sex symbol" part...ummm....I just don't have it in me to be a sex symbol. I just have this "too cute" type of an appearance to be a "sex symbol." but I love the appeal of being a sex symbol. (But between being a "sex symbol" and being a "chrismatic dancer", I'd take the latter, no question about it.) I wouldn't be surprised if a reporter says that I'll grow up to be a "rebel warrior" though.

nerd_on_ice
05-06-2005, 10:02 AM
I am definitely a "caring cutup" in lessons but hope to be a "charismatic dancer" when performing/competing. My dance background seems to stand me in good stead most of the time; hopefully that will continue.

Every skater is probably a "steel magnolia" to some extent, don't you think? Looking beautiful but being strong & tough underneath.

BTW, windsor, I loooooooove the quote in your sig. :bow:

windsor
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the compliment on my quote. I tend to change my signature very frequently, but I'll leave this one up for a while - just in case you don't like my next choice and your post won't be accurate!

The skater the writer was referring to as a Steel Magnolia was Katia Gordeeva. So delicate, gentle, and beautiful, yet amazing strength at the same time, just hidden beneath that fragile exterior. I don't think I really qualify for that description myself - not in my skating nor in life.....

The pathological chicken, however - that fits pretty darn well!! :lol:

Mel On Ice
05-06-2005, 11:58 AM
I want to be the majestic presence, and gave sex symbol a try, but given my humble placements at AN coupled with what I hope was percieved as cheerful goodsportsmanship, I think I am the caring cutup.

TashaKat
05-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd like to be a Steel Magnolia but there's no way that I could ever have been described as appearing delicate and gentle even when I was teensy. I fear that I'm more Rebel Warrior.

Mrs Redboots
05-06-2005, 01:08 PM
I'd like to be a Majestic Presence, too - but, alas, I could best be described as an arthritic snail, I suspect.

skaternum
05-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Oh, definitely The Sex Symbol. With a description like this:

With her dark chestnut hair and hazel eyes that seem to change color with her every move, skaternum is the type of woman who practically melts the ice with her sex appeal. The graceful curves of her body are echoed by the curves she traces skillfully on the ice, and both have become the stuff of legends...

:lol: <wipes tears from eyes> Ooh, now that I'm back to reality, I'm afraid I'd have to choose Caring Cutup from your list. However, I suspect that any article about me would offer the following description:

At 5'6" and 127 pounds, skaternum is every male skater's nightmare. She's never let her size ("I swear, normal women really are this size!") or lack of talent dissuade her from skating pairs. She's invented a whole new vocabulary for pair skating, that includes such Faux Pair moves as a catch-as-catch-can pair spin, a Lingering Illness/Death Spiral, the S*it Spin, the De-Press lift, and the category 2 Poop Lift. Said Coach Scott of a recent catch camel attempt, "I've seen that same position in the Joy of Sex, volume II." Partner David had no comment for this article.

In her singles skating, Drum prefers to let her multiple-personality lead her to the next program. So far, she's skated to a medly of TV theme songs, a ballet score, a Barry White funk instrumental, a mandolin concerto, a Patsy Cline tune (wearing a straightjacket!), and most recently, an Argentine Tango. Drum hopes her growing shock of gray hair ("They're highlights, Becca!") will prompt the judges into giving her sympathy points.

NoVa Sk8r
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I think (depending on the phase of the moon!), I exhibit a little bit of all of those characteristics, but I'd surely like to be "the majestic presence" in full force. I'm hopefully getting there, one crossover (um, make that back crossovers, please!) at a time. ...

Skaternum, once again with your risible writing, you have caused me to nearly spit out my Diet Pepsi. Kudos! 8-)

FrankR
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I'd like to put in a write-in option for myself.

I consider myself a jolly jumping bean! :D

Essentially I jump like crazy with not much else in between. :lol:

Truthfully, I don't know if I have a particular style. I've had people tell me I have a nice line but I don't really think that is indicative of any particular style. I don't really have a particular style in mind that I'm trying to project to the audience either. I guess I'll add that to the growing things to work on for next season. :P

Frank

TimDavidSkate
05-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I define myself as:

2) the charismatic/classical Dancer
3) the majestic presence
6) A rebel warrior On the Ice?

:D :D :D :D
:halo: :halo: :halo:

mdvask8r
05-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Which skater did the article cite as a majestic presence?

Terri C
05-06-2005, 07:01 PM
I'd like to think that I can be a combination between rebel warrior and sex symbol. But the competitions this year, I've been more of a cute cutup! At 40, I'm tired of being cute! :roll:

CanAmSk8ter
05-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Is there a "tomboy who will try anything the boys do and work on it until she can do it so that they can't tease her" category? Or maybe a "fearless bordering on stupid"? Either of those would suit me.

MusicSkateFan
05-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Let's see....."Jumping Fool" "Mack Truck" I really dont know...I have not ever had myself on video to know what I look like. Maybe "Ice Spaz"!

Sometimes I feel I have speed until NoVa skates around on his skis and then I realize how slow I am! 8O

CoolbugSuz
05-06-2005, 08:16 PM
What? Bumbling Idiot is not an option? :lol: OK, I guess caring cutup. Cutup because I'm constantly laughing at myself during my lessons, and caring because I take the time to ask people how they're doing. I'm a people person. ;)

As to what I'd like to be? Perhaps a cross between charismatic dancer, majestic presence, and sex symbol.

Suz

NoVa Sk8r
05-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Sometimes I feel I have speed until NoVa skates around on his skis and then I realize how slow I am! 8OHaha (my poor size 14 feet)! But I can only get speed in the back crossovers ... forward crossovers---well then I am in drunken sailor mode! :roll: :P

Chico
05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I guess silly old fart fits me best. =-) I'd like to be a graceful presence.

jazzpants
05-06-2005, 10:22 PM
well then I am in drunken sailor mode! :roll: :POh, that's ME skating FS sessions in the morning!!! :P http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/chika/chirolp_gurug.gif

Shinn-Reika
05-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Most Definately Rebel. I think I'm skating my fullest when I'm the most chaotic.

Tessie
05-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Caring cut up. At 40 plus I wonder how I ever learned to walk! There are certain things I can do really well then there are tests of coordination or sobriety such as back inside edges and back ccw crossovers!

kittie067
05-07-2005, 08:40 PM
I'd love to be a majestic presence.
But alas the only positive( i think) comment I've been called is......( drum roll please):
A graceful faller!

~kittie(sigh)

The Ice Demon
05-08-2005, 04:34 AM
Well, as you can see I am The Ice Demon!!! :P

So I guess of the 6 rebel warrior on the ice fits best. I'd love to be the steel magnolia or the sex symbol.... but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

Some people caress the ice with their blades, I guess you could say I try and kill the ice. ;)

Good topic for discussion.

Skate@Delaware
05-08-2005, 08:12 AM
I've been told recently (while trying to be 'artistic' on the ice) that i resembled a crippled crow.... 8O

so maybe graceful moves aren't for me, and I should go for bolder stuff that would make me at least a charismatic skater.

windsor
05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Which skater did the article cite as a majestic presence?

Brian Boitano

PattyP
05-10-2005, 03:42 PM
As I have skated as....

A girl scout chasing a butterfly
An old lady boogyin' down
and Miss Piggy dancing with a 4 ft frog

...I would have to say "Caring Cutup"

Now if I could just figure out how to bring comedy in to my FS program....oh, I did that at AN this year :roll: with my flying camel turned flop, drop and roll move.

Scarlett
05-10-2005, 03:47 PM
I would have to say a caring cut-up. Any one who watches me skate usually has a laugh or two and usually not for good reasons. I think once I get better I would probably be described as a rebel warrier. I have played many sports in my life (haven't met one I didn't like with the exception of basketball and volleyball--yep I'm short) and none of them required any grace just athleticism. Unfortunately, skating requires both.

sue123
05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Hmmm.... not sure what I'd like to be, but I would write my bio about myself (in a completley unbiased and imaginative way) like this:

Sue is the most comanding of female skaters. When she takes the ice, all eyes turn to her. With her combination of grace and charm, she is sure to captivate an audience. The crowd can't help but fall in love with this spunky skater. Her jumps are miles high, her spins, so fast you can't even see her! She skates with fluidity, always a smile on her face. When her music comes on, it seems to radiate from her. Her 15 years of music training have not gone unnoticed in the skating world. She brings out nuances in the music through her use of artistry and athleticism. She has learned the art of not making the music work for the skating, but rather make the skating work for the music. Be sure to keep your eyes out for this smart talking young skater,

Basically, the only part of that that's true is the 15 years of music training. Everything else, is all in my dreams. Well, maybe being a smart talker is true too, I'm known in the chem dept. for being the one who will always tell the truth, and apparently, i come up with quips that I didn't think were all that great, just something I'd usually say, but everyone else thinks it's great. But yea, everything else, I wish.

Casey
05-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Well I like to think of myself as the rebel warrior, because usually I'm just silent and minding my own game - the friends I talk to are infrequent. Plus for some reason all of the parents at public sessions feel a need to come up and yell at me about how I need to watch out for their kids because I'm not careful enough. I am careful, and I did see them, I just only leave a margin of error of about 6 inches sometimes ;-)

In my dreams I'm more of a steel magnolia, and in reality I suppose I'm more of the caring cutup.

doubletoe
05-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the compliment on my quote. I tend to change my signature very frequently, but I'll leave this one up for a while - just in case you don't like my next choice and your post won't be accurate!

The skater the writer was referring to as a Steel Magnolia was Katia Gordeeva. So delicate, gentle, and beautiful, yet amazing strength at the same time, just hidden beneath that fragile exterior. I don't think I really qualify for that description myself - not in my skating nor in life.....

The pathological chicken, however - that fits pretty darn well!! :lol:

I think Steel Magnolia fits. . . At least I hope it does! :)

doubletoe
05-12-2005, 12:16 AM
As I have skated as....

A girl scout chasing a butterfly
An old lady boogyin' down
and Miss Piggy dancing with a 4 ft frog

...I would have to say "Caring Cutup"

Now if I could just figure out how to bring comedy in to my FS program....oh, I did that at AN this year :roll: with my flying camel turned flop, drop and roll move.

I think you have a bit of Rebel in you, too! :) The Survivor program rocked!

Figureskates
05-12-2005, 06:05 AM
My style?

AARP Member and it Shows!!