View Full Version : Anybody had the tongues replaced on their skates?

phoenix
05-05-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm going to send mine in to have the tongues replaced, as mine are all compressed & shredding.

If you've had this done, how long did it take to "break in" the rebuilt boots? No time at all, or is there a break in period like with all new boots? They're Klingbeils, btw.

I'm just wondering how I should time this--as far as giving myself time to readust before competing or testing.

windsor
05-05-2005, 02:49 PM
I haven't, but I wanted to say that you are the second person I've heard of who wears Klingbeils and the tongues wore out. Now, I'm not sure if that means the tongues on Klingbeils wear out faster than other brands or if other types of boots wear out faster overall, therefore the tongues never get shredded enough before the whole boot wears out...hmmmm...... :??

jenlyon60
05-05-2005, 03:02 PM
I have the gray foam tongues in my Klingbeils (which are 3 years old) plus the black foam widget that's supposed to help with lace bite.

The only part of the tongues that have shredded or frayed or otherwise fallen apart is part of the black foam widget on one boot. The foam separated from the backing (the gray part) and it shredded like all well-used foam tends to do.

phoenix
05-05-2005, 03:17 PM
It's mainly the black stuff that's doing the shredding, though both tongues have tears along the edges that are starting to roll under & hurt! The big problem is that the tongues slip so far to the side that I don't get the benefit of most of the padding & by now they're so worn in to do that there's no stopping them & there are "lace grooves" in the leather.

When they replace the tongues Don's also going to put in a hook or something so they won't slip anymore.

ETA they're 2 1/2 years old.

SkateBreck
05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
The Harlick website has great suggestions for tongues that slip to the side.

Mel On Ice
05-05-2005, 10:26 PM
I had the tongues replaced on my SP Teris free of charge since upon inspecting them after I wore them for a year and a half, Aaron didn't like the way they laid in the boot.

phoenix
05-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Mel, how long did it take you to "break in" the new tongues?

Mel On Ice
05-06-2005, 11:59 AM
not long at all. But I ordered the lambswool lined tongue, so it was comfy from the get-go.

Isk8NYC
05-06-2005, 02:58 PM
When they replace the tongues Don's also going to put in a hook or something so they won't slip anymore.

If the tongue is still okay, they can just add/replace the foam on the back. That's what Don did last week when I went for an adjustment, although I didn't ask him to do it. My skates are about the same age as yours, and the black foam had also shredded. Next time, I'm going with the lambswool!

I did have the tongues replaced on my older Klingbeils. I gave him the skates and Don took them in the back. In less than an hour, I had them back, good as new. (The outside boot stitching is heavier.) They used the old tongue as a pattern of sorts for the new one. I don't remember having any break-in time.

I have that hook on my new Klingbeils. It is attached to the tongue sideways and it "catches" the tongue against the boot edge so it doesn't slip. It works really well, you just have to be a little careful not to catch the laces on the hook or the laces won't be even. Not a big deal - just a little care.

You are going there with both boots and feet right? When Don did the hook, he had me put on the skates, then he marked where he wanted to put the hook.

Isk8NYC
05-06-2005, 03:15 PM
I haven't, but I wanted to say that you are the second person I've heard of who wears Klingbeils and the tongues wore out. Now, I'm not sure if that means the tongues on Klingbeils wear out faster than other brands or if other types of boots wear out faster overall, therefore the tongues never get shredded enough before the whole boot wears out...hmmmm...... :??

Given the customer service Klingbeil provides, and the care of the owners, Klingbeils are long-lasting. Maybe the cost of them and the pleasant service provided make people hang onto them longer and take really good care of the skates. Klingbeil can and will rebuild the skates, change the tongues, and generally keep the skates in use until they're well-worn. (I've never had another custom boot other than the Klingbeil brand, but I assume they provide similar services.

Also, while a few pro shops here and there still do rebuilds for other brands, it's not common. Without that option, when stock skates break down people just buy new skates! Most people probably replace the skates long before the tongues wear out. I remember owning a pair of white Reidell Gold Stars that had hideous tongues - frayed and torn. I never thought to ask if the tongue could be replaced. I just bought new skates, too!

vesperholly
05-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I have Klingbeils. They will be 3 in October (aww). A year ago I got the boots rebuilt and the tongue replaced. The tongue was folding too far forward and wasn't supporting my ankle enough, and the outside corners were starting to tear. I think I could've even delayed the rebuild if I'd gotten the tongues done first.

I have lambswool on the tongue both times, which I love. I had Harlicks with foam and I'll never go back. :shudder: I'm so glad I did it and it was totally worth it. I think they cut the tongue a little shorter than before, so that it didn't push the laces down as much. It took no time at all to break them in - maybe a few days. I lurve Klingbeils. :bow: