View Full Version : Selling Skates

figurebabe
08-13-2002, 07:52 AM
HI, I have posted this thread up on Figureskate UK FORUM. Please can anyone help?
I found some skates..and dont know what to do with them:

Please visit this thread if you can: http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=205269&messageid=1029177922&lp=1029177922

Elsy2
08-13-2002, 09:56 PM
I sort of feel sorry for the poor sole who lost their skates. Many a person has put their skatebag down and thought they put them in the trunk and then drove off without them.......I think I'd post notices in the local rink " FOUND...figure skates"........I'd ask the coaches if they knew a student who lost their skates. If nobody claims them, then I'd consider posting a for sale notice at the rink. Somebody should be able to identify the kind of boot to help judge their value.

figurebabe
08-14-2002, 03:40 AM
JUST TO state very clearly:

They were dumped in an ooldd shopping bag, dirty and old, thrown out!

I WOULD NEVER ever pick up someone elses skate bag!! Thats crazy!

They were dumped along with a few other bags of rubbish you see... I would always hand in any skates or skate bags if I ever found them at the rink, (or anywhere else for that matter) and this was near my house where someone was clearly throwing out 'old' rubbish from their home.

..sorry didn't mean to mislead some of you.

RoaringSkates
08-14-2002, 09:45 AM
If these skates really were in the trash, then I think you can sell them. However, if you have any doubt (which it doesn't sound like you do!) you should only sell them after first trying to find their owner by posting flyers in the area in which the skates were found, and at the rink closest to the skates. If no one claims them, you can definately sell them.

I've seen lots of people selling old skates on EBay here in the US, so I'm sure that you could sell them on EBay UK. Another option is to post flyers at your local rink (ask first) and try to sell them locally.

Elsy2
08-15-2002, 08:41 AM
Sorry Figurebabe! It just sounded like they were "lost" skates, not skates found in the trash. When I've sold skates I've gotten around 25% of their original value. So....$100 to $125 for skates that were worth $400-$500 new. Assuming these skates you found were a beginner outfit, they may have cost about $100 new perhaps? So I'd put a price of about $20 maybe....just a guess. I always consider that the buyer will probably have to spend an extra $10 for sharpening.

Hope that helps!

quarkiki2
08-15-2002, 10:05 AM
You may want to try skatebazaar.com

figurebabe
08-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Thanks Elsy. I thought the same as you exactly. I thought maybe a good 15-20 pounds is great, especially for someone starting off. I thought that selling them would do someone good instead of having them thrown out. I must say though I spent a lot of hard work cleaning them up, and im trying to get some shpae back into them (stuffed them with newspaper!!) But the lucky thing is that the actual boot and blade, (after some acetone cleaning) looked in great condition. I think this person either quit, or threw them away because they are brandless, and for very beginner people. I would suspect they only skated in them for a couple of months 'til they needed some more highly skilled skates ;)

-figs-