View Full Version : Figure Skating at 18. . .

OlympicDreams86
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I was just wondering if there was anything anyone could share with me about figure skating. I mean I know lots about it, but as far as participating. I am 18 years old, live in Macomb, Mi, about 30 minutes North of Detroit. I am a guy. My name's Justin. I just decided to get into skating about a month ago beause of a friend. I take to it naturally. After two sessions with my coach, I am starting my waltz jumps and other small jumps. I really want to accomplish something with my skating. I train hard, skate 12-15 hours a week, and do off ice training. I just bought my new skates that I should get soon, Jackson 3500 series. I am training at the St Clair Shores Figure Skating Club in St Clair Shores Michigan, and have an excellent coach. Anything you want to tell me, or anyone that wants to become a pen-pal with me and talk to me about stuff, that'd be great! Thanks!! :D

sue123
05-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, what do you want to accomplish? I gotta say, for an 18 year old, it's doubtful you'll go to the olys, but hey, you never know. Could you be competetive? Probably. Only problem is, you'll have to wait awhile. I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm 19, just got back into skating recently, after forgetting everything, and there is no young adult circuit. So while I'm not good enough to skate with my age group in teh standard track (far from it actually), I'm too young to skate in the adult track which starts at age 25. But if you want to compete, keep your eyes out for young adult comps. Several adult comps may include a young adult division, only I don't think it will count as a qualifier for anything. There is also always ISI, which I don't think has age restrictions, but then you may end up skating against a 7 year old.

But good luck with your skating. It's a lot of fun, gives you a great sense of accomplishment. And get ready to watch the metamorphosis of your feet. Before skating, my feet were all nice and smooth. Now, I'm starting to get a callus on my pinky toe, one of my toenails is turning black. Ah, the fun.

OlympicDreams86
05-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Well, what do you want to accomplish? I gotta say, for an 18 year old, it's doubtful you'll go to the olys, but hey, you never know. Could you be competetive? Probably. Only problem is, you'll have to wait awhile. I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm 19, just got back into skating recently, after forgetting everything, and there is no young adult circuit. So while I'm not good enough to skate with my age group in teh standard track (far from it actually), I'm too young to skate in the adult track which starts at age 25. But if you want to compete, keep your eyes out for young adult comps. Several adult comps may include a young adult division, only I don't think it will count as a qualifier for anything. There is also always ISI, which I don't think has age restrictions, but then you may end up skating against a 7 year old.

But good luck with your skating. It's a lot of fun, gives you a great sense of accomplishment. And get ready to watch the metamorphosis of your feet. Before skating, my feet were all nice and smooth. Now, I'm starting to get a callus on my pinky toe, one of my toenails is turning black. Ah, the fun.

Thanks a lot! I am very competitive. IT's what I want to do. I want to at least make it to National's sometime during my career, and NOT in the adult circuit. There are no age restrictions on levels Novice and up in the USFSA. With the speed I learn, I have been told I show great promise to achieve these goals. I am also working with the top coach at my arena, so that will help me a lot. I also get to work around people like Lindsey Weber, and I skate with two of the top placing Junior National competitors from last season. I dedicate a lot of my time, effort, and funds into my training, and am very determined to succeed. I appreciate your interest!! If you return to competition, be sure to let me know! Keep me updated on your progress as well!

JessicaLynn
05-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi Justin, I also skate at St Clair Shores!! I am not in the club, but I do the Learn to Skate group classes. I wish I had more time to put into skating, but unfortunately I don't. I love it, though. I started when I was 21 and now I am 22. I am in Freestyle 4 and working on my flip and loop jumps. That is so great that after only two lessons you feel comfortable doing waltz jumps! Who is your coach? Also, when do you skate?

Jacksons are the kind of skates I have, too. Do you like them so far?

As far as getting to nationals, it sounds to me that you have great confidence in your skating. That right there is a benefit. Since I don't skate often and don't have a private coach, I don't have much advice. But I know what it is like to start skating as a young adult instead of a kid, and I give you credit for going for it!

Good luck and maybe I will see you compete sometime soon!

coskater64
05-01-2005, 07:34 PM
We have a young man in colorado who started in his late teen's a five/six years later he skates as a Jr man. He also is a pre-gold dancer, so it is possible to do it and it really does depend on your determination. You also have to do the field moves as well as the jumps. It's important to remember that a good skater is a balanced skater, good jumps, good spins and ease of flow, ie effortlessness and good edge quality. So I wish you well, but be realistic, you might have success on the adult circuit, and they are considering lowering the age to 22 or there abouts at the governing council. As an adult skater you might truly be surprised at the competition, but if you want to give it a go on the standard track do it.

la

icedancer2
05-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I haven't seen it much in skating, but I know that in dance (ballet, etc.) it is not uncommon for young men to start dancing at your age.

So, I say, go for it!! Train very well, work hard, and most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

Stormy
05-01-2005, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=sue123]Only problem is, you'll have to wait awhile. I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm 19, just got back into skating recently, after forgetting everything, and there is no young adult circuit.[QUOTE]

It's not true that there's no young adult circut! I competed YA for YEARS in many comps and loved it! Non Qualifying Sectionals have YA events, Peach Classic has YA and so do many other Adult comps. They are definitely out there. Plus, even if an event dosen't have YA, request to skate with the standard Adult events. A lot of comps have been lenient and let YA skaters skate with the "big kids", probably because they want the entry fees! :)
However, if you don't want to skate YA or even Adult, go for it! Dream big! Just don't rule out Adult entirely. When I was your age, I didn't want to skate adult either, but as soon as I started, I just loved it. GOOD LUCK!! :)

mskater
05-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I agree with Stormy, don't rule out adult skating completely; it's a lot of fun and can be very competitive. I too started skating at 18 and almost made it to the Novice level before deciding to focus my efforts on adult skating.

Anything is possible in skating so set lofty goals but just remember there's an arena out there to enjoy skating regardless of what level you reach. Also try and enjoy the learning process, especially if you're picking up skills at a rapid pace.

Happy skating and keep us posted on your progress:]

sue123
05-01-2005, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=sue123]Only problem is, you'll have to wait awhile. I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm 19, just got back into skating recently, after forgetting everything, and there is no young adult circuit.[QUOTE]

It's not true that there's no young adult circut! I competed YA for YEARS in many comps and loved it! Non Qualifying Sectionals have YA events, Peach Classic has YA and so do many other Adult comps. They are definitely out there. Plus, even if an event dosen't have YA, request to skate with the standard Adult events. A lot of comps have been lenient and let YA skaters skate with the "big kids", probably because they want the entry fees! :)
However, if you don't want to skate YA or even Adult, go for it! Dream big! Just don't rule out Adult entirely. When I was your age, I didn't want to skate adult either, but as soon as I started, I just loved it. GOOD LUCK!! :)

But I thought they weren't official events in the way that you can qualify for nationals or something. I could be wrong, and if I am, I apologize. I haven't really started competing yet, time adn money stand in the way. Too much work and finas are coming up, and I'm generally busy, so I probably haven't progressed as fast as I could've, so I haven't done too much research into the comps, just some general curiosity stuff.

Shinn-Reika
05-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Man you're lucky to have so much available to you. I'm in pretty much exactly the same boat (18 yr old male that just started),except I definately don't have the resources you do. I've been skating for less than a year and can do a toe loop, loop, waltz and flip. I've had an on and off coach, but she was teaching me purely because she wanted to. Anyway if you have high dreams I'd say go for it, if you have the means and nothing is stopping you. There definately aren't enough male skaters out there.