View Full Version : Questions on Testing

CoolbugSuz
04-28-2005, 08:04 AM
OK, I just started taking private lessons, and I think it would be nice to set a goal, such as passing the pre-bronze test or something like that. For pre-bronze, is it actually two tests? A Moves and a Freestyle? Or is it just all one test? And do you have to take both at the same time, or can you just do one or the other?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice you can give. :)

Suz

phoenix
04-28-2005, 08:57 AM
There are 2 tests, you're right. You have to pass the moves test before you can take the freestyle one. You don't have to take them at the same time.

nja
04-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Since you are thinking of testing, it would really be a good idea to invest in a USFSA rulebook. The rulebook has all the different tests and their requirements and is updated yearly. This year in particular since there are proposed changes to the Adult Moves tests on the agenda at Governing Council, it would make sense to have the most current rule book. I think the updated versions usually come out sometime in the September time frame.

Each level has its own moves and freestyle test. They don't need to be taken together, but you must past the moves (MIF) test before you can take the corresponding freestyle test. You also must take the tests in their designated order (Pre-bronze, Bronze, Silver and Gold). You do not have to wait to take a MIF test if your freestyle is not ready to test at the same level. For example, there have been people who have only passed the Bronze freestyle test, but have passed the Gold MIF test.

CoolbugSuz
04-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Cool, thanks for the advice! I'll start to work with my coach on stuff for the pre-bronze MIF. :)

Well, it's off to the rink to do some on-my-own practice for the ice show. Dress rehearsal is tonight. :)

Suz

skaternum
04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes, yes, yes to the rulebook advice! This is one of my pet peeves in skating. Asking questions here is a great place to start, but why would you trust a bunch of people over the web to direct your skating plans? BTW, I'm using "you" in the general sense, not to mean CoolbugSuz in particular. For the most part, you'll get correct answers from people, but I'm constantly amazed at how many people will just guess at an answer or give a wrong answer. I've seen some doozies here and on other boards.

Excellent resource #2: your coach. One of the things you pay him/her for is professional knowledge about the sport and how it's run. Take advantage of that! If your coach doesn't know how things work, I'd be a little concerned that he's not keeping up.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :) Good luck with your pre-bronze moves!

blue111moon
04-28-2005, 01:39 PM
And if you don't have a rulebook, please make sure that your coach does - and that it's the current one.

I'm amazed at the number of coaches who don't bother investing in a rulebook every year. It's a business expense, for Pete's sake.

CanAmSk8ter
04-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Amen! I always bought my own every other year, unless I knew of rule changes that were going to affect me. The last few years I've been bumming my coach's copy. I mainly use the dance patterns, and those rarely change. But now that I'm coaching more, I know I'm going to have to start buying one every year. The most recent one I have is a 2002-2003, and while it was fine just for me (since my coach has national competitors at my level, he's always up to date on stuff for us) I wouldn't want to risk messing up a student just because I didn't buy the newest book.