View Full Version : How to start pairs skating?

Casey
04-28-2005, 01:59 AM
So at my old home rink, one of my favorite things to observe was when an older (in their 40's or 50's) couple came from time to time and did pair skating.

Now that I've moved across town, and started skating at the new rink, I've noticed there's a younger pair that skate at the 6am freestyle session. They're not as good as the other pair in spins and jumps, but they seem to work much better as a team, and their lifts and throws are better. I've found that pair skating is by far my favorite thing to watch.

I think it would be really good to skate in pairs/dance because you've got somebody else you have to keep up and work with, and I would greatly prefer pairs to dance because I like too many things you aren't allowed to do in dance.

However I have no idea how or at what level people get involved with pair skating. I've seen dance classes at some rinks, but never pairs, and I've only seen the two pairs between the three rinks I've skated at.

I would like to find a partner to learn pair dancing with, but have no idea how to go about this. Any advice from the pair skaters on this board?

My new home rink has a 5-week ice dancing class for $55 - would it be worthwhile to take the class in hopes of finding someone interested in pair skating? I'm not sure how many young adults there would be in the class, or whether any would be interested. It might be fun to take the class for the fun of it anyways, but I think I'd really like to pursue pair skating in addition to freestyle.

I'm currently working towards Freestyle 3 - my coach tell me it's only the change foot spin that's holding me back, but Freestyle 4 looks pretty hard - I'll be really happy if I make it there this year. Is this too early to start thinking about pair skating, or is it better to start at this point with someone of similar skill level and grow together?

Any advice is appreciated!

skaternum
04-28-2005, 04:52 AM
Finding a pairs partner is tough. You could ask your coach if he/she knows any males who might be interested, and have your coach ask other coaches. You could advertise on some of the partner search websites. Or you could put up a flyer at the local rinks with your contact info (be careful and use "neutral" contact info). You might have luck in an ice dance class, but not necessarily -- in spite of the fact that ...

My partner and I took up pairs after he and his ice dance partner split up. (He skated freestyle when he was younger, but as an adult had done mostly dance and moves in the field.) We just started playing around, then decided to do a holiday exhibition together, so we started lessons with a pairs coach at the rink. Most adult skaters tend to find partners from among the pool of skaters they already know, rather than through partner search sites.

If you find a male who might be inerested, you might want to "ease" into it to avoid scaring him off. :) Maybe just get together to do a show or exhibition, then see if you're both still interested after that.

You're correct -- there generally aren't pairs classes.

Pairs is so much fun, though. I hope you'll get to try it, because it's a blast! We totally suck, but we have a lot of fun together. It's a lot more fun to compete, for example, with a partner. I'm much less nervous that way.

PM me if you'd like a couple of URLs so you can laugh at pictures of us. ;)

NoVa Sk8r
04-28-2005, 07:35 AM
We just started playing around, then decided to do a holiday exhibition together, so we started lessons with a pairs coach at the rink. Most adult skaters tend to find partners from among the pool of skaters they already know, rather than through partner search sites.Ah, yes, the dreaded holiday show ... that's how we males get tricked into tskating pairs! ;) ("Oh, it's just a small little holiday show ... no commitments, you know, it's just for *FUN*!!!" :P )

Pairs is so much fun, though. I hope you'll get to try it, because it's a blast! We totally suck, but we have a lot of fun together.No no no! I love you guys. You rock! And you were Loops and my mentors!

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Casey, do bear in mind that ice dance and pairs skating are two quite different disciplines! Both difficult, of course.... in my experience, pairs is dead scary and ice dancing great fun! You might find you disagree.....

Having said that, do sign up for the ice-dance course - at your level of skating, it will help you almost more than anything else could to improve your edges and turns and your presentation on the ice. Absolutely what you need right now, whether you find a partner or not.

jazzpants
04-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Casey, do bear in mind that ice dance and pairs skating are two quite different disciplines! Both difficult, of course.... in my experience, pairs is dead scary and ice dancing great fun! You might find you disagree.....

Having said that, do sign up for the ice-dance course - at your level of skating, it will help you almost more than anything else could to improve your edges and turns and your presentation on the ice. Absolutely what you need right now, whether you find a partner or not.Yeap! I whole-heartedly agree! I know of one skating coaches that insists that all their pairs client also take up ice dancing as well... it gets their stroking and other things looking more like a pair... rather than just learn stuff like throw jumps, pair spins, death spirals, that type of thing...

skaternum
04-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey, I just discovered that Casey is a guy. Is that right, Casey? If so, sorry. :lol: It'll be much easier for you to find a partner. I'd still suggest asking your coach/other coaches. I guarentee, if you mention to a couple of coaches, skaters, or skate moms that you're interested in trying pairs, you'll have women coming out of the woodwork!

phoenix
04-28-2005, 11:17 AM
You can start at any point skating w/ a partner to learn how to do basic stroking/crossovers, etc. together. Pairs or dance lessons will accomplish this for you.

Before you start flinging anyone around, or hoisting them over your head, obviously you must be an extremely solid skater yourself, or it could be very dangerous.

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2005, 03:16 PM
If you have a partner who skates at roughly the same level as yourself, you can learn together, progressing from basic stroking side-by-side, through to thrown double axels and overhead lifts!

There is a middle-aged couple at our rink (not us, slightly younger!) who are beginning skaters, and they have great fun doing "pairs" together - at their level it is mostly stroking in hold, and side-by-side manoeuvres. But they will improve, and they do have enormous fun with it!

dooobedooo
04-28-2005, 03:33 PM
I'd have a word with (a) the coach who teaches the young pair couple, and (b) your coach. They will probably be able to find you a suitable partner - either someone who has already done some pairs, or someone who does free to a slightly better standard.

For the first year or so, you will probably just do side my side stroking, crossovers etc., getting positions correct, and a very basic lift and spin. Probably a good idea to keep the pair skating in the background, relative to your free skating: maybe a ratio of 1:2. As you are a man, you may need to do some weight training to build up strength for lifts etc.

You will probably be in much greater demand for shows etc., as a pair, than as a free skater of the same standard.

Make sure that your time and finances will cover both disciplines!

Good luck!

icedancer2
04-28-2005, 03:43 PM
I would go ahead and take the dance class (yes, I am biased, but...)

It will give you idea of what it is like skating right next to someone while you are touching them. In pairs skating you will have to be in even closer body contact than in dance so it's time to get used to it now while you are still learning.

I say this because a lot of people who skate singles are absolutely terrified of skating with someone -- they are so used to just being in "their own space" so to speak and really fall apart when asked to skate in close proximity to another person. There is a tendency to skate with your feet as far from the other person's as possible, which, as we all know, is actually more dangerous than when you are skating in unison!

Good luck and have fun! :)

sk8joyful
04-28-2005, 09:56 PM

Casey
04-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Hey, I just discovered that Casey is a guy. Is that right, Casey? If so, sorry. :lol: It'll be much easier for you to find a partner. I'd still suggest asking your coach/other coaches. I guarentee, if you mention to a couple of coaches, skaters, or skate moms that you're interested in trying pairs, you'll have women coming out of the woodwork!

Yep, I am a guy. I actually don't have a coach right at the moment because I just moved and want to get a feel for the new rink and the people there before I commit to a coach. The other half of the equation is my finances at the moment - I'm lucky to be able to skate at all, and it will be another 5 weeks before I can afford getting a coach again. I am continuing to drive an hour to see my old coach once a month.

(Do send those URLs - I can always use more entertainment, I mean encouragement. ;) )

It will give you idea of what it is like skating right next to someone while you are touching them. In pairs skating you will have to be in even closer body contact than in dance so it's time to get used to it now while you are still learning.

I think I might. It will certainly take time to get used to the idea of skating with someone. I'm generally a solitary type of person, but pair skating looks so lovely I want to give it a shot. :)

Before you start flinging anyone around, or hoisting them over your head, obviously you must be an extremely solid skater yourself, or it could be very dangerous.

Don't worry, I'm not looking to rush into things THAT fast ;-) .

luna_skater
04-30-2005, 10:06 AM

I would actually say it's the opposite. In the compulsory dances, the judges want to see the skaters as close together as possible at all times...no space between the hips in the Kilian hold, and little space between bodies in the waltz hold. In pairs, many moves involve stroking that is just hand-to-hand, with a full arm's length between bodies. The skaters are also separate from each other far more than in dance.

wondering
05-26-2006, 10:19 AM
i know this is kind of a late reply, but i just happened to see your post. (:
haha most women would LOVE to find a male skater who is willing to do pairs with them. i mean, at my rink the ratio of female to male is like 6:1 or maybe 7:1 . And then you have to eliminate all the males who are too young , or too lousy lol. i think you should be able to find loads of girls who would love to do pairs with you ;) good luck then!

Skate@Delaware
05-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Casey, take the dance class. Even though ice dancing requires closer skating than pair skating, you are still moving in unison and in time with your partner, as well as learning better stroking and edge control.

My husband and I take ice dance, with the understanding that eventually we will branch into pair skating when he becomes a better skater. I don't see us moving beyond the most basic of pair skating, but the ice dance will help anyway with the skating skills both of us needs (it has helped a lot already as far as the comfort level of skating together).

pairman2
05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Casey

First a comment to the Dancers....no offence, but while dance instruction may ultimately be beneficial all the other skating disciplines, this assumes that Casey and future partner has unlimited time and resources. In reality, there is enough to learn just within the pairs context that will keep the new pair team busy for a long time. There are very different techniques to the foundation of skating between pairs and dance. If you learn dance stroking, extention, technique, at a certain point, you will have to unlearn some of it in pairs. Dancers...I think you are just trying to recruit Casey !:lol:

In all seriousness...DO!!! find a coach that has experience in standard track competitive pairs and that coach can help guide you through everything from partner selection and whether or not you should tinker with cross discipline training. That coach will certainly help you focus on skating, synchronization and basic skills first and then gradually guide you into the "scary" stuff...which in reality, is not nearly as scary as one would think after being taught proper technique by a qualified pairs coach. Also, be sure to stop by and visit www.adultpairskating.com

Good luck!!! You will love pair skating!!
Pairman2

pairman2
05-26-2006, 11:03 AM
P.S.

There are a lot of hot new teams coming out of the Washington State area. I'd like to know what's in the water out there!

TripleTwist
05-27-2006, 02:01 PM
www.icepartnersearch.com

Go to it. you might find someone..

twokidsskatemom
05-27-2006, 02:29 PM
www.icepartnersearch.com

Go to it. you might find someone..

I think that most of the skaters listed on that page are jr or Senior level skaters.
I think asking the coach you have seen would be your best bet.
Where did you move to? We have a coach from Seattle guest visting us this week.

Sk8pdx
05-27-2006, 03:51 PM
.... Also, be sure to stop by and visit www.adultpairskating.com

Good luck!!! You will love pair skating!!
Pairman2

Hi Casey,
Pairman 2 is right, if you email them, they are very helpful in giving you a few contacts and starting points in your pairs journey. Check your PM. there is some more details there. :)

lovepairs
05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Excuse me, but I happen to be the "Pairs Yenta," meaning that I am in the business of putting teams together--ever watch Fiddler on the Roof? Yap, that's me Yenta Telaventa! I have several young ladies on the Adult Pairs Database waiting and wishing for a pairs partner, just like you! Please go to the Adult Pairs Website and contact me: my email address is all over the website...I'll fix you up in .2 seconds!

"Matchmaker, matchmaker make me a match, find me a find, catch me a catch...Lalalala...go to:"

www.adultpairskating.com

Best,

Lovepairs :P

Justine_R
05-28-2006, 09:35 AM
I've always wanted to do a partnered sport, preferable ice dance though.
I would suggest talking to your coach about it first.

lovepairs
05-28-2006, 01:21 PM
When I had my first tryout with Pairsman2, my coach really tried to talk me out of it, and I almost lost the opportunity to partner. I've never been happier skating, and if I had listened to my coach I would never have found such happiness on the ice.

If you want to skate pairs, just go for it...it's your decision not anyone else's. It's a very personal thing...if you have a passion to skate pairs...tell your coach, but don't be surprised at all if he/she tries to discourage you from pursuing your skating dreams

Casey
05-28-2006, 06:41 PM
::blushes sheepishly and grins at the attention::

Well first off, my this is an old post! Not even a half-year after I started skating...I can't believe I was trying to think about doing pairs then! Nonetheless, it has remained an interest for me, and I feel significantly closer to being ready to give it a go these days. :)

To answer a few questions - I've had a post on icepartnersearch.com since shortly after I originally posted this to no avail. A couple people contacted me but either wanted me to relocate or were of too much of an age difference. Haven't done any dance or pairs at all. I have a friend who said she'd like to do pairs, but she hasn't been skating much at all and I don't think she's really interested since on the rare occasions that we do skate, we just work on freestyle stuff.

On the upside, there's a now pairs couple that are individually teaching freestyle at one of my old rinks. I'm going to hit them up for pairs+freestyle lessons as soon as I start getting paychecks from my new job that I started last week. I suspect that will be a good setup if they're willing - I'll be able to practice mostly pair stuff with the woman, mostly freestyle stuff with the man, and get pairs insights from BOTH sides of the fence. :D