View Full Version : Would you Train if you had a Broken wrist in plaster, Footwork Only

rf3ray
04-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey guys Would you Train if you had a Broken wrist in plaster, Footwork Only for the next 4 - 6 Weeks? 8O

Its not a complete fracture just 3/4 through the wrist bone

dbny
04-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear you are hurt. How did it happen?

Up until the time it happened to me, I would have said "yes!" However, when my arm was in plaster almost up to the shoulder, and any little movement of my hand hurt like H*ll, I had no urge to get on the ice at all. In general I don't think it's a good idea to skate with a broken bone - just asking for a worse injury.

windsor
04-25-2005, 08:09 PM
No. Same thing happened to a friend and it is absolutely not a good idea to skate that way. What happens if you fall? If you try to catch yourself, as is liable to happen, think about how bad that could be?! Better to work your lower half in the gym or something else to keep in shape. I know it is frustrating, but it is better to heal properly than to end up making your time off the ice longer.

skaternum
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Absolutely not. Obvious reasons: falling, almost falling (where you jerk your body involuntarily to avoid falling), etc. Less obvious reasons: the extra weight screws up your balance, so any "progress" you think you're making will have to be unlearned and relearned once the cast is off.

Terri C
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
When I broke my wrist about 7 years ago- I was off the ice for about 6 weeks. That being said, I totally agree with Skaternum about staying off the ice until the cast comes off. Even then, you orthopedist may not want you back on the ice right away. Think about it, if you did fall, it would be that much longer off the ice!

TashaKat
04-25-2005, 10:10 PM
No, I broke my wrist a couple of years ago (Colles fracture) and my doctor said to me that if I fell again I could displace the fracture which could possibly make it a lot worse than it was. Also, as others have said, there is the change in balance problem due to the weight of the cast (even though they're not that heavy these days) which would make it more likely that you would fall.

rf3ray
04-25-2005, 10:34 PM
The fracture is 3/4 through the Ulna bone... My coach said that he trained when he had one... Hmmm the cast also is just my lower arm from below the elbow... 8O :?:

Sorry to hear you are hurt. How did it happen?

Up until the time it happened to me, I would have said "yes!" However, when my arm was in plaster almost up to the shoulder, and any little movement of my hand hurt like H*ll, I had no urge to get on the ice at all. In general I don't think it's a good idea to skate with a broken bone - just asking for a worse injury.

luna_skater
04-25-2005, 11:15 PM
I would go ahead ahead and skate. Plenty of people I know have skated with a cast on.

rf3ray
04-26-2005, 03:01 AM
But Have any of them stacked it on the same wrist?

I would go ahead ahead and skate. Plenty of people I know have skated with a cast on.
:giveup:

Mrs Redboots
04-26-2005, 06:36 AM
If you want to skate, skate - only you can know! I have known people who've trained with a wrist in plaster, and others who've left it until they were healed. At that, I know a skater who refused point-blank to let them put a cast on her wrist, and insisted on a removable cast, and she never did stop skating, not for one single session, including dancing with a partner!

But only you can decide!

Casey
04-26-2005, 06:48 AM
I landed on my wrist about 3 weeks ago and did something nasty to it. I suspected from the start that it's a small fracture. I can't say it's any better now than then, probably because I haven't given it proper rest time to recover. I think you should take some time off the ice to heal, but I don't follow my own advice - so, make your own choice!

As for the "footwork only" part...I've said that one to myself before and not been able to fulfill the promise ;-). I find that falling isn't a problem, as others have worried - one generally has enough sense to deliberately not land on a sore wrist though it's not entirely unavoidable - but the bigger problems are just little things that you don't think about, like coasting to the boards and catching yourself, stretching things a way they no longer appreciate, etc. I suppose those are easier to remember with a cast than without though.

Of course you "should" stay off the ice. But how can one endure staying away from one's true love for so long??? ;)

Good luck, and best wishes.

Casey
04-26-2005, 09:26 AM
I find that falling isn't a problem, as others have worried - one generally has enough sense to deliberately not land on a sore wrist though it's not entirely unavoidable...

*red face*...*cough*...Make that "isn't" a "wasn't". Guess what happened at this morning's session?

*sigh* Ah well... :oops:

Melzorina
04-26-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't know whether I would advise you to, but I know that I definetly would. I'd hate to let that get to me, but then again, ignore me and go with what sensible people tell you to do!

luna_skater
04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
But Have any of them stacked it on the same wrist?

:giveup:

Sorry, I don't know what that means?

TashaKat
04-26-2005, 02:00 PM
I find that falling isn't a problem, as others have worried - one generally has enough sense to deliberately not land on a sore wrist though it's not entirely unavoidable

It's not about sense or choice, it's called Sod's Law. How many times have you landed on your knee only to land on it again and again and again?

I perhaps should have said in my first post that I actually broke my wrist doing footwork!!! Prior to that (half an hour before) I had been working on axels and doubles without incident :roll: In fact my worst falls have been from Ice Dance (skull fracture) and footwork (concussion and broken wrist - different accidents I hasten to add) oh, and a whiplash injury from a 'dying camel' spin.

TashaKat
04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Sorry, I don't know what that means?

It means that you fall over onto the same wrist :) Oh, and yes, it happens!

NickiT
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Personally I wouldn't take the risk, however tempting it may be. I've been injured before (the latest I cracked my elbow) and I found it very hard to relax on the ice for fear of falling on it again. The thing is, it's easy saying you want to skate in this state, but once out there on the ice things feel different and you become terrified of doing more damage. I think it's always best to let these things heal properly then get back when you are fit.

Nicki

dooobedooo
04-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I agree with everybody who said "Stay off the ice".

If you want to keep up your general fitness, you could perhaps have a go on a stationary bike for half an hour, a few times a week (obviously, gently, without being too agressive, and only if you can do it without jolting your cast!) Concentrate on even cycles, with good ankle flex; equal pull and push on each foot.

Hope you heal well and are back skating soon!!

NCSkater02
04-26-2005, 03:16 PM
But how can one endure staying away from one's true love for so long??? ;)

With great difficulty. Today is 13 weeks off ice for me. I go back to the doc next week. Maybe he'll let me start skating again. :roll:

Casey
04-26-2005, 05:49 PM
With great difficulty. Today is 13 weeks off ice for me. I go back to the doc next week. Maybe he'll let me start skating again. :roll:

Hey NCSkater02...I've been wondering how you're doing. 13 weeks!! Oh no! Well, an ankle is a different story than a wrist, at least when it comes to skating. Get well soon, and good luck when you hit the ice again!

rf3ray
04-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Woah what happened did you break ya wrist?

*red face*...*cough*...Make that "isn't" a "wasn't". Guess what happened at this morning's session?

*sigh* Ah well... :oops:
:?: :?:

coskater64
04-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I would think a lot of it depends on your overall ability as a skater. I crushed my big toe and was told not to skate for 4-8 weeks. After 4 weeks I was doing better w/ walking and I had managed to avoid surgery through sheer luck. I talked to my doctor and they said I could skate, so I got on about 4 weeks earlier than I planned but they told me to be careful and avoid toe jumps w/ that foot. So I'd think you should be pragmatic listen to your doctor but keep them appraised and go in for check ups as needed.

You might be a quick healer and be able to get back on the ice sooner, but as always be careful and good luck.

la

rf3ray
04-26-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm 28 turning 29 in a coupla months do you think bones will heal quicker?? than younger people or is it all the same?

I would think a lot of it depends on your overall ability as a skater. I crushed my big toe and was told not to skate for 4-8 weeks. After 4 weeks I was doing better w/ walking and I had managed to avoid surgery through sheer luck. I talked to my doctor and they said I could skate, so I got on about 4 weeks earlier than I planned but they told me to be careful and avoid toe jumps w/ that foot. So I'd think you should be pragmatic listen to your doctor but keep them appraised and go in for check ups as needed.

You might be a quick healer and be able to get back on the ice sooner, but as always be careful and good luck.

la

pinkjellybean
04-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I skated with a broken wrist, it sounds very similar to yours. However, I took 2 weeks off and did not skate with the plaster cast on, it was way to bulky and wouldn't have protected my wrist if I had fallen.

Once I got my fiber glass cast on I was allowed to skate for the rest of the time I was in a cast. I was not allowed to jump (and gave everyone heart attacks doing waltz jumps in run through as we were choreographing new programs)... so I'd say if you're having your plaster cast replaced and you want to go ahead and do it... but just know that if you fall on it again you could really affect your recovery... I wouldn't jump, spin or try moves you're not comfortable with but ultimately it's up to you.

After I got my cast off I skated with a brace on my wrist from the doctor, similar to what you would wear if you were roller blading... I would definately advise doing that, your wrist will still be weak after they take the cast off.

TreSk8sAZ
04-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Skated with a broken wrist (fully broken) and plaster cast. Did only small jumps, though those were rare. Had dance lessons, moves lessons, and even did spinning.

You should only do what's comfortable though. Doing too much can set you back.

icecatepairs
04-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Hell yeah. i had wrist surgery and skated that week without a problem. couldn't grab my leg in spirals and had to hold my arm instead of my hands together in a spin. although i did alot of spins and moves, i did skate programs with jumps. but didn't do any jumps i was not stable with . i trained my brain to put the other hand down on falls. i was somewhat cautious and didn't try to learn any new jumps ,. i was a gymnast w. we used to do uneven bars with a cast on our leg. i learned no handed back flips on the beam with a cast on my arm. our motto was don't stop training just change your workout. good luck

Casey
04-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Woah what happened did you break ya wrist?

Nah, the wrist was already fractured from 3 weeks ago (my pelvic bone along with all of my weight landed on it). I took a week off skating shortly after the injury, but have otherwise been skating regardless. Up until yesterday morning, I had been lucky in avoiding landing on that hand, but yesterday I fell and my hands caught a lot of the weight, so then my wrist felt like it did when I first hurt it again :/ . It's okay now though, still sore to move around but not really painful in general. Of course it only happens after you say on a message board like skatingforums that it won't :P .

Anyways I skated again today, and will be going again tonight...so I guess that proves that I'm pretty s...stubborn? stupid? Hehehe, oh well. :mrgreen:

rf3ray
04-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Its like my 5th day with this cast on and I am hanging to go skating aaarhg this sucks :-( :frus: :frus: :frus: :cry: :cry: :cry: :frus: :frus: :frus:

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Its like my 5th day with this cast on and I am hanging to go skating aaarhg this sucks :-( :frus: :frus: :frus: :cry: :cry: :cry: :frus: :frus: :frus:If you need to go that badly, then go! Your body will soon tell you if you're trying to do more than it can handle just now - and hanging about at the rink seeing your friends there will do you far more good than sitting at home being bored, even if you don't skate.

NickiT
04-28-2005, 08:55 AM
and hanging about at the rink seeing your friends there will do you far more good than sitting at home being bored, even if you don't skate.

I agree with that! When I broke my ankle my friends took it in turns to pick me up on their way to the rink. That way I still felt a part of it even though I couldn't skate, and it was lovely to get out of the house!

Nicki

rf3ray
04-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Ok tomorrow will be 7 Days ago that I broke my wrist, and I have finally given in to go to the rink tomorrow to do some training (hope i dont land on any of my wrists) wish me luck guys :giveup: :frus: :D 8O

aussieskater
04-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Ok tomorrow will be 7 Days ago that I broke my wrist, and I have finally given in to go to the rink tomorrow to do some training (hope i dont land on any of my wrists) wish me luck guys :giveup: :frus: :D 8O

Best of good luck - and be careful!!! Maybe first skate slowly around to check for hockey skids, jump holes etc, and make a mental note to stay well away from them? PS - I love the "any of my wrists" comment - sound like you have spares - or maybe wish you did!

rf3ray
05-01-2005, 04:01 AM
Hey just got back from the session today its fun trying to do one foot spins with one hand tucked in :-), especially with the added momentum, I managed to nearly centre a spin on the first go, but some looked more oblique :-)...

Had also to get one of the skaters there to lace me boots up as I have no muscle strength in the arm with the cast, even one of the ladies that works there said she would help me :-) how cool hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :roll: :D :D :D 8O :mrgreen: