View Full Version : Discomfort or delight: 24-30 April 2005

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2005, 06:42 AM
The thread in honour of my new boots and blades!

Discomfort: I think I'll change my screen name to "Mrs RedFEET"! Actually, although the boots are uncomfortable, they are no worse than that, and that will soon pass. But my socks (thin nylon Pop-sox) had no heels in them when I took my boots off! Lucky they're quasi-disposable....

As for the blades - wow. Scary..... If you don't get on an edge, they skid! I am going to love them, but I don't yet!

Delight: Husband took all of 30 minutes to adjust to his new blades, but then, he didn't have new boots as well. His edges are infinitely better (wouldn't be difficult!), as are his turns, even his outside Mohawks are looking better. We did a lot of work in waltz hold in our lesson, and it was great - my back edges were fantastic, too! I am too scared to do very much on my own as yet (it's coming!), but we managed to walk through all our dances except the Riverside Rhumba (ran out of time, and my feet ran out of comfort!). Give us another week of hard work, and we'll be back to speed and up to it again....

We did try the spin that starts our free dance - eeek!!!!! Seriously fast...... I didn't dare try a solo spin, but I noticed himself doing one before we got off!

phoenix
04-24-2005, 09:02 AM
What kind of boots/blades did you end up with?

Discomfort: Well, one lesson got cancelled this week due to a test session going on, so I was disappointed. And I'm starting to wind down to the next test session myself & I'm seriously wondering whether this dance has improved at all since the last one!

Delight: Coach started helping me w/ choreography for new program & although it's so hard I can barely walk through it, it looks really good when he does it! :lol: My favorite part was when he was just letting the music play & skating around playing around w/ steps, & went into a FO twizzle series/change feet FI twizzles/change feet FO twizzles--which took him a full 1/2 way down the ice & never lost any speed! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: That'll never be me, but it was very cool to watch.

Also, since test is looming I've seriously buckled down & am tackling my dance with much more gusto than of late, & am working on it harder & for longer parts of my practice--let's hope it pays off!

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2005, 12:27 PM
What kind of boots/blades did you end up with?Gam 700s and John Watts Dance blades.

Melzorina
04-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Delight: I landed a loop...

Discomfort: In my group lesson, we had to stand still, facing one way, and just jump one full revolution. Very weird, I could feel death creeping up on me. We didn't have an entry or anything, it was just a jump, landing in the same stop, facing the same way...Weird!

Tessie
04-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Delight - Empty ice after my edge class. The synchro team that usually follows the edge class was on braek or away. Could have stayed another two hours. One was sufficient, started to get tired and do stupid things.
Mrs. Redboots, I started a dance class - truly a test of coordination and memory! kudos to you and all you dancers!

Discomfort - Back edges. :giveup:

windsor
04-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Delight: A consistent camel spin

Discomfort: Any back spin

jenlyon60
04-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Discomfort: Not much. Coach now has me do the same "dreaded 8's" exercise as his kid students... today was forwards only, CCW and CW. Basically it's a series of progressives, starting out with 2 repeats where each edge is held for 8 counts, then 4 repeats, holding each edge for 4 counts, then 8 repeats holding each edge for 2 counts, then 16 repeats holding each edge for 1 count. It was interesting to notice how different issues arose at each of the different tempos. The 8-counts showed me how I need to work harder on effective power generation from a single stroke. The 4's and 2's were sort of okay, but that's where I tend to break a bit at the waist and not maintain the twist enough also. Then on the single-count runs, I definitely wasn't quick enough (I knew going in about that one and the infamous chicken took over my brain also, somewhat.)

Delight: Probably the best Tango work I've done in a long time. Not sure if going back to the building blocks is starting to pay off or what. I am still "falling" onto my back foot in the forwards cross-behind just after the lady's step forward and before the forwards cross-back chasse & LFO 4-beat edge. But overall, the dance is much improved over the past couple weeks.

Wednesday is Starlight Waltz day...

jazzpants
04-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Discomfort:

Forward Power 3's!!! (What else?) LFO3 - Still working on power and RFO3 on getting the edge correct but still have a RFO3 that's in control and a back crossovers that's actually a real back crossover while trying to step onto the next RFO edge nicely for the next RFO3.
Loop and flip jumps - Not there!
FI mohawks on the second half of the 5 step mohawk pattern. I'm hopping the mohawk there. Not good... :(
Delight:

First and most important... kids are out playing somewhere else!!! YAAAAAY!!! :mrgreen:
Scratch and sit spins - check!
Camel made an appearance or two! YAAAAY!!!
Rest of moves are okay...

aussieskater
04-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Delight - the LFO (more correctly read LF flat!) closed mohawk appeared and stuck (so far). Wheee!

Discomfort - the RFI open mohawk disappeared when the LF closed one appeared. Are they allergic to each other or something?? Any suggestions?

Also, the opposite number of the mohawks I had/have aren't progressing, despite my efforts to keep both sides to the same standard - again, any suggestions?

Mrs Redboots
04-26-2005, 06:33 AM
Discomfort: First five minutes were desperately skiddy - to the point where Husband and I actually wondered if the left blade needed adjusting. By the time I'd skated a bit, though, I was finding the edge most of the time, and not skidding quite so badly. Would have asked my coach, but he wasn't in.

After Husband left, I did try to run through my Interpretive/Artistic. Oh dear... AWFUL! Slow, wobbly, the 3-turns didn't happen, the spiral didn't happen, the spins didn't happen.... if things don't improve VERY FAST I shall have to withdraw from that class at the MC, and not skate it in this country, either (which I'm already half-thinking I won't do, anyway).

Delight: Once I was warmed up, the boots were no longer uncomfortable. I wouldn't exactly call them comfortable, not yet, but they weren't uncomfortable, either.

Walked through all our dances with Husband - still a bit tentative (he is, too), but not too bad. The new blades are transforming our Willow - the step to forward while he does his Mohawk isn't half so scary! And our Swing Dance is almost okay now, too. Fiesta still dire, but it improves, and there wasn't all that much wrong with our Canasta, anyway.

We also walked through the end of our Free Dance, which we are still choreographing. Maybe tomorrow we will run through the whole thing, with place-holders where we want the lifts to be. We'll see how tentative we are, still!

blue111moon
04-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Annabel, you CANNOT withdraw from MC Interp. No, No, NO!!!!

If nothing else you and I can compete for who gets the most laughs - Sunday morning I managed to hit myself on the head with my baseball. It would be really neat if I could say that it's part of the choreography but I can only do it by accident. And I tripped myself with the bat twice.

Laurel and Hardy On Ice!!!

Mrs Redboots
04-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Annabel, you CANNOT withdraw from MC Interp. No, No, NO!!!!

If nothing else you and I can compete for who gets the most laughsTrouble is, I'm so pathetic at the moment it isn't even funny..... I'm not planning to withdraw unless I really have to (dammit, I can't afford to waste €60!), but unless I get used to these blades PDQ, I will have to!

Melzorina
04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Pdq?......

luna_skater
04-26-2005, 12:32 PM
No discomfort here, just delight today...I passed my gold skills! It was my first try testing them, and I've been working on them for about 6 months. This means that in two years, I have gone from having never taken a test in my life, to being a double gold medalist! (dance and skills - finished gold dances last June) I'm quite pleased with myself right now!

Melzorina
04-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Nice one Luna! Well done!!!

2loop2loop
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Pdq?......

Pretty darned quick!

John

Melzorina
04-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Oh right, thanks John!

Isk8NYC
04-26-2005, 04:45 PM
DISCOMFORT:
I'm not quick to memorize, so I have to practice things over and over before I get it down. Unfortunately, I'm in a group show routine where the choreographers keep changing the program. Every time we do a run-through, which is giving me flashbacks to bad shows of the past. I had planned to do a sit spin as my "step out", but the latest arrangement doesn't leave me enough time. The choreographers (who are also skating) really don't care whether I do something well or not, so it's up to me to make it work. Other than one step that I feel off-balance on, I'm keeping up.

DELIGHT:
I'm skating for myself more than I have since last summer. It's wonderful, and I'm going to try once more to get through some footwork classes and tests. My last blade adjustment was perfect. I have to go to Klingbeil's and get my right boot checked, but everything else seems to be okay. Even my crackly knees!

WAY TO GO LUNA!

Terri C
04-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Delight:
My lesson today was awesome! I managed (actually forced myself) to do the entire power threes pattern around the rink. Coaches and I are aiming for a test the week of July 4th! Jumps were good today too!

Discomfort:
Even though moves were good today, I had to do some side stepping around some of the kids. There is one little girl who gets in my way every week when I'm out there and today, she almost got a blade in the face when I was doing back crossover to back extension! 8O :evil: :giveup:

cutiesk8r43
04-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Discomfort:my program's still alittle shaky and my footwork needs to spread out more :giveup:

Delight:landed TWO Axels by MYSELF yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! :D
camels are looking good

~cutie ;)

Mrs Redboots
04-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Lunaskater - congratulations! That's fabulous news.

Discomfort: My boots! Largely because I think I did them up too tight first time of trying, but my feet did hurt.... still, they don't rub, which is the main thing. My left blade still skidded dreadfully - my coach made a tiny adjustment which has helped, but he says that my old blade was probably out of alignment, and that once I can bend more, things should improve. I think he's right, actually, as things do seem to improve during a session.

Delight: Had my lesson today, and we agreed not to work on my Interp as yet - coach says next week is time enough! So we worked on basic skating - edges, cross-rolls, changes-of-edge, turns.... Also a new exercise which is very easy, but really good - you skate across the rink, a couple of pushes, then stand up on both feet, making sure you are balanced and controlled, and then, simply by bending the knees, no other movement allowed, you curve round to face the opposite direction, come upright again, push a couple of times to get across the rink, repeat in the other direction. Properly done, you should feel it in your lower abs, I gather! Yes, I think that by the end I was doing it properly.....

Anyway, that was fun, and it's a good "graceful" exercise; I gather that eventually you do it with spirals and all sorts....

Oh, and we are probably going to test our free dance (finally!) on 5 May.... need to discuss this with Husband first, but don't see why not....

Mrs Redboots
04-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Also a new exercise which is very easy, but really good - you skate across the rink, a couple of pushes, then stand up on both feet, making sure you are balanced and controlled, and then, simply by bending the knees, no other movement allowed, you curve round to face the opposite direction, come upright again, push a couple of times to get across the rink, repeat in the other direction. Properly done, you should feel it in your lower abs, I gather! Yes, I think that by the end I was doing it properly..... Yes, I was definitely doing it properly - my lower abs are just so-o-o sore! Sheesh.....

aussieskater
04-27-2005, 07:54 AM
No discomfort here, just delight today...I passed my gold skills! It was my first try testing them, and I've been working on them for about 6 months. This means that in two years, I have gone from having never taken a test in my life, to being a double gold medalist! (dance and skills - finished gold dances last June) I'm quite pleased with myself right now!
Congratulations Luna - fabulous news! Should I ask what's next on the testing agenda??

luna_skater
04-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks Melzorina and aussieskater! I probably won't be testing anything for a while. I'm going to learn some freeskate this summer, but I don't know if I'll actually test any of it. I'd just like to learn all my singles and basic spins. I would like to get around to testing a few diamond dances one of these days!

dbny
04-27-2005, 04:38 PM
No discomfort here, just delight today...I passed my gold skills! It was my first try testing them, and I've been working on them for about 6 months.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Discomfort:
Since the public schools here have the week off, today's public session on which I have my lesson was a real zoo. I decided right away not to do any moves that require the long axis, so we focussed on three turns for most of the lesson, doing the power threes on one of the lines. I still cannot do the RBI Choctaw without a little touchdown of the L foot first.

Delight:
I managed one LBI Choctaw correctly, which proves to me that I can do them when I get everything right! I also managed to do a LFI three other than the first one in the alt FI three pattern. In fact, I saw two ankle biters heading my way, but everything felt right and I wasn't going to give ground to them. After, my coach said she saw them and thought I would stop. Those moments are too few and far between for me to back off!

Discomfort & Delight:
After missing the notification of the group coach participation in the skating school show, and thinking I had been deliberately left out because I'm not good enough, I got that notion corrected and stayed to watch a rehearsal. If they can still get me a costume in time, I will do it. My coach gave me a doubtful look when I told her today - she obviously knows I don't jump and my spins have gone to H*ll. Then she rallied and tipped me off to some of the things I need to start working on, such as entering a spin from wind up, even if I do just two foot the spin itself. I finally was able to watch a DVD of last year's show, and know that I won't be the "worst" all around skater out there. Also, there will be about fifteen skaters in that number, and everyone will not be looking at me. The costume will not be flattering to my figure, but I won't be alone there either.

Tessa
04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Luna -- YOU ROCK! I'm so jealous!

Discomfort -- dbny, my rink was the same. Usually the Wed. afternoon public session has about 10-15 skaters, as my coach says, "the best kept secret on Staten Island." I was dismayed to arrive and see all the children. Ribcage and abs hurt from 8-step mohawk pattern. Coach says soon no more three turns into loop, MUST do it from back crossover. Sheesh. Won't be able to skate again until next Wednesday as have business trip. Coach not happy about that.

Delight: Actually did back inside threes on both feet. Sure they suck but it's the first time EVER I didn't have to put my free leg down to help. You would've thought I won the gold medal at the OOOOOs. I have officially been instructed to take the patterns into the field instead of on the blue line. Now onto the other 3's.

phoenix
04-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Discomfort: Well, I skated one good pattern at the very beginning of my lesson, and one good one at the very end, and spent the other 28 minutes stinking up the ice! Plus I was on a session w/ 4 high level freestylers, & it's always the dancer who has to bail out when there's a looming collision. I just about took out a guy who was working w/ Susie Wynne on choreography. :oops: (I was going around him & he suddenly darted into my path--it wasn't intentional)

Capped the whole thing off by sitting in my car in the parking lot, sobbing, for about 10 minutes before I could get a grip on myself enough to drive home. I think I need a serious attitude adjustment. :evil:

NoVa Sk8r
04-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Discomfort:
This week--and after spending the past 12 days of drinking (thanks Becca for all those nip!!! :P )--I returned to the ice in full form, though skating has not felt very good; in fact, I've felt quite rusty. And where has my lutz gone? I mean, I landed 2 in my AN program, and now I can barely do one at all. That's the flip side of AN--all that hard work and adrenaline ... and then the after-competition let-down and ennui set in. :??

I also decided not to work on a new competition program and just focus on gold moves ... and forward crossovers! I was happy and will be forever excited about my silver program at AN 2005. But it's time to tackle the gold moves and not waste time on new programs and competitions (these things take so much time to prepare and they detract and take time away from my moves and the other fundamentals that I seem to have skipped over!). We'll see what the future holds.

And Loops told me that I was not expressive enough on the ice (and I saw some of the pictures from our pairs program--egads, my hands are abysmal :?? ). Does anyone have any techniques, tips, or suggestions for achieving better presentation and for being more emotive? I sometimes forget about these aspects of skating, and I would like to really make this part of my skating a little better. (My brain is always thinking, "Must land lutz, must land lutz ... .")

Delight:
I can't believe that I am listing moves of any kind under the 'Delight" heading, but I began to work on gold moves. Brackets {{ }} }} {{ 8-) are on the list of order. My coach is having too much fun teaching these to me. I think she has this weird vision of me doing a full-length straight-line footwork sequence using every edge and turn. Ugh. (That will never happen.)

And tonight, I helped Loops to come up with some pairs elements to show her new pairs partner. ;) They are gonna rock (or should I say 'rocker?' :P ) the house! That circular/serpentine pairs spiral sequence with 5 or so positions and changes of edge, that new entrance to the throw salchow, that difficult sbs spin combo, and the footwork into the throw loop 8O ... amazing. Best of luck there.

jazzpants
04-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Discomfort:

Well, it's not really a discomfort... just not a delight yet. My secondary coach made me work with the stick to get me to push on the RFO edge more easily after the BO crossovers and it was coming out much MUCH better and steadier... and she said my weaker LFO sides is now stronger than my RFO side on the power 3's. 8O Needless to say, NOW I'm working on my RFO3. (Though I'm still working on my LFO3 as far as speed is concerned.)
Alt FI spirals SUCKS!!! :giveup:
Delight:

Can do better alt FO spirals by the end of the session. :D
Sorry for doing this here but...

***Note to NoVA Sk8r***: YO, DUDE!!! Did you got my PM's??? I got three unread message receipts. Just wondering... no rush, no stress! And what's this about coming up with "some pairs elements to show her new pairs partner ;) "

jazzpants
04-28-2005, 12:57 AM
And Loops told me that I was not expressive enough on the ice (and I saw some of the pictures from our pairs program--egads, my hands are abysmal :?? ). Does anyone have any techniques, tips, or suggestions for achieving better presentation and for being more emotive?Well, mine aren't great either, but here's what helped me go from REALLY bad to "better, but still sucks..."

Take up dance... not ice dancing, but like ballet, modern dance, etc...
Work with a choreographer on those aspect. (I don't mean on a program but have them give you exercises that you can practice that targets various presentation areas.)
Look at your glass reflection while you're working on those areas!!! Make notes on what you need to do to look better. Practice that!!!
Occasionally bring your digital camera with you and have your coach or Loops film you doing something related to that. Play it back at the rink and make corrections there. Film yourself doing the same thing with the corrections and see what happens...
Take an acting class or three... and practice facial and body expression.
Hope that helps...

Casey
04-28-2005, 02:40 AM
Take up dance... not ice dancing, but like ballet, modern dance, etc...

Yeah! I only took a few (maybe 10) ballet lessons, but it does help. I also watch when better skaters sometimes really move expressively to music. For me, I just forget there's anybody around, and just imagine that I am dancing (yes, even though I don't know how to dance worth a crap). I guess part of it is just deeper knee bends and exaggerating everything a bit more, plus imagining what a good dancer/ice skater looks like and trying to move like that. I'm not sure it comes off looking so good as I like to pretend, but at least I do move more. I guess having your own music helps - I only bother with this sort of thing when a song I like happens to be played, which is pretty rare. Sometimes take my cell phone which plays MP3s with a few favorite tracks and a headset, and use that

[quote]Look at your glass reflection while you're working on those areas!!!

My new rink doesn't have reflective glass like the old one :(. It was always nice when you thought you were doing a good spiral then saw the reflection and realize how lousy it is so then you *make* it good ;-). Seeing oneself is great just because then you know what looks good and what needs work. I wish there was an ice rink surrounded by mirrors sometimes ;) .

Anyways, good luck!

NoVa Sk8r
04-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Take an acting class or three... and practice facial and body expression.I used to be an actor ... I just think I'm emoting incorrectly for the ice. And as Loops said last night, "UM, please NEVER make that face in that spin!" or something like that.

Thanx for the suggestions.

NoVa Sk8r
04-28-2005, 08:00 AM
***Note to NoVA Sk8r***: YO, DUDE!!! Did you got my PM's??? I got three unread message receipts. Just wondering... no rush, no stress! And what's this about coming up with "some pairs elements to show her new pairs partner ;) "Oops, sorry. I've been running a day late and a dollar short as of late. I'm not loving the 5 or so hours of sleep I've been getting each night, either. I've got a stack of PMs to wade thru ... I'll respond in kind when I'm a bit snappier and sharper (I know, don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen!) ...

I've decided that Loops should get a new pairs partner. As I told her a while ago, I'm intent on finding her a guy who:
-Isn't crazy
-Doesn't steal her thunder
-Can do crossovers properly
-Knows how to eat properly
-Is strong
-Can keep his emotions/anger in check
-Is flexible (training-wise and body-wise)
-Is not psychologically disturbed
-Responds to an alarm clock
-Doesn't embarrass her on skating sessions

Apparently, this man is a mere beau idéal, and doesn't actually exist. :P

MusicSkateFan
04-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Thats right NoVa...he does not exist......It is not ME! Don't keep trying to push your partner into me during skating sessions either!!! LOL 8-)

(He really tried to do that! Good thing Loops has such good edges!) :twisted:

LoopLoop
04-28-2005, 08:34 AM
The abuse I endure.... :giveup:

And I didn't say NoVa wasn't expressive enough; I merely wondered why someone *so* expressive and emotive in practice (must be seen to be believed) becomes even more withdrawn than me in competition! :P

And MSF, we have another potential partner in mind for you if we can ever bring you over to the dark side. :halo:

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Does anyone have any techniques, tips, or suggestions for achieving better presentation and for being more emotive? I sometimes forget about these aspects of skating, and I would like to really make this part of my skating a little better. (My brain is always thinking, "Must land lutz, must land lutz ... .")

Ice dance
Choreograph such things as where your hands need to be, and when you need to smile (I'm quite serious - make them as much a part of yoru programme as your lutz and flip)
Ice dance
Ice dance
Ice dance..... you get the picture?

NoVa Sk8r
04-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Ice dance? Double ugh. Never ever. :P

NoVa Sk8r
04-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Thats right NoVa...he does not exist......It is not ME! Don't keep trying to push your partner into me during skating sessions either!!! LOL 8-)

(He really tried to do that! Good thing Loops has such good edges!) :twisted:It was an innocent gesture--I think you'd look good together. And hey, I'll do anything to release these fetters!

NoVa Sk8r
04-28-2005, 09:55 AM
The abuse I endure.... :giveup: The abuse YOU endure? Oh, puh-leaze!!! You have me seeing my therapist 3 times per week! :P

And I thought I was a "free agent" after AN. <sigh>

jazzpants
04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Welcome back to the boards, NoVa! It's been quiet on these boards not reading you and Loops go at each other's throats! LOL!!!

Now... do we need to call in a hockey referee and send you two back to your boxes? LOL!!! :twisted: :lol: :P

Terri C
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
The boards are back in session! It was really lame without you all on here! :)

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2005, 03:20 PM
There are times I wish Husband posted (he would, but doesn't have time - for him, computers are strictly business, not pleasure!) so we could growl at each other.

Discomfort: My boots really hurt tonight. When I put my left boot on, it actually felt like my boot, so I thought "finally!" but my right boot hurt (think I had my tights runkled up slightly), so I had to take it off and try again. Then, of course, I had to relace the left one, and I think it was too tight, as I ended up with pins and needles in both feet. Whereupon Husband did nothing but carp and criticise about our dances, as though it was all my fault, and the last straw was when he danced the Swing Dance so badly out of time that I had to count out loud to help us get into time, whereupon he accused me of failing to track him.

So I got off the ice and went home!

Delight: Taking my boots off!

Actually, the feeling when I first put my left boot on that it was "mine" - and I wasn't skidding nearly so badly today. Still am not enjoying skating fast, but that will come. It'll have need to, if we're to test in less than a week!

Melzorina
04-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Oh god, talk about boot adjusting! Normally I put them on and I'm away, but last week for some reason, it just wasn't right. I adjusted, skated, got off, adjusted, skated, got off. I must have taken them off about 6 time in 20 minutes! Very, VERY annoying!

Terri C
04-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Discomfort:
Can anyone say back power perimeter crossovers? On lesson today, it was determined that not only does Terri hate to fall, but she cannot trust her back inside edges (click of death on back crossovers).
Coach is also trying to re-work my timing and snap on the sit, as I tend to not ride my edge and snap too quickly- that was not a picnic, either!
I made myself a glutton for punishment today as I went back to the rink for a hour in the afternoon, to use up my punch card (ours expire at the end of every month). Some parent was crazy and inconsiderate enough to hire a professional photographer to come and do a photo shoot for her dressed up daughter. :roll: (read: that's what competitions are for!) The guy came with a tripod and everything and it was , IMHO, a big distraction to the other skaters that were there and lessons going on. The photographer even used flash photography- a BIG no no in skating! Did anyone at the front desk say anything- uh no and the skating director was no where in sight! :evil:

Delight:
Finally, finally, finally, I can sit on a LBI edge and step on the RFO edge for power threes!
Jumps are getting better!

Mrs Redboots
04-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Delight: Talk about the darkest hour being just before dawn! Finally, finally, finally my boots were comfortable today. I did spend a long time putting them on - yesterday I was rushed, and I think that's why they were so painful. But today, by the time I'd skated for 30 minutes, they were fine - at long last (it feels like, so it's less than a week, so sue me!) they're my skates!

Husband and I ran through the test version of our free dance, and I don't think there's a lot wrong with it. We then spent the rest of the time doing swing rolls in waltz hold - very dull, but very necessary! We need to get some speed up.....

I ran through my Interp a couple of times, and although it's not quite where I want it, it's certainly do-able!

And I did one of my coach's favourite stamina-building exercises (alternating back crossovers to landing position), and was delighted with the flow and speed I was getting on the back edges in landing position!

We are going down to my parents' over the Bank Holiday and I think I'll take my skates as my mother has some leather softener, and there is just one place they catch slightly. Plus, she has a fan oven, so I can do the ankles (the skates are heat-mouldable) - not that I am quite sure I need to, as they are comfortable without. I'll see how it goes tomorrow & Sunday, and if they are still comfortable, I won't bother to take them.

Discomfort: So I have to push it, don't I, and do a lap of back chassés solo - big mistake, horribly scrapy and not right! Ah well....

But huge sigh of relief.... I am so much more comfortable in the boots, and almost confident on the blades (not 100%, but certainly more than I have been - I'm more certain than ever that I'm going to adore them as soon as I have settled into them) that today's session was fantastic!

Isk8NYC
04-29-2005, 10:38 AM
There's a useful old book written by Ricky Harris called Choreography and Style for Ice Skaters. In addition to music and choreography, she also has a pretty useful "energy ball" theory about body positions and such.

On the subject of "emoting" while skating: the best lesson I remember from that book was the "Whee Jumps" as I called them. The objective was to stop the skater from landing a jump and looking as if he/she was in pain. When you landed the jump, you immediately had to say "Whee" until the edge was completed. It's like saying "cheese" for a picture so that everyone smiles at the same time.

If you go to Amazon.com, most of the book seems to be online, or you can buy a used copy cheap.

Isk8NYC
04-29-2005, 10:53 AM
We had a Show practice last night and I did pretty well. It's really nice skating regularly. I even ran into someone I went to grammar school with, who asked me to give her daughter private lessons, so it was a good night!

Discomfort:
They added a couple of little dippy steps that I kind of "gallop" through (no offense to Sassy) I figure that it will be dark the night of the show, I'll just fake it and no one will be the wiser.

I'm going to Klingbeil's tomorrow morning for an adjustment -- my right boot feels weak on top. I knew I should have gotten freestyle boots instead of instructor boots. I demonstrate too much -- I've probably damaged them. I'd better change my laces first or I'll get in trouble for using the cotton ones! LOL!

Delight:
I was much more comfortable with the program and the gestures. Except for shaking my tush at the audience and going the wrong way once. (no one told me that we were supposed to turn around at that point.)

My sit-change-sit was wicked good! I didn't try any jumps, so I'm going to try and get to a rink today to practice, in case one gets thrown in.

Isk8NYC
04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Some parent was crazy and inconsiderate enough to hire a professional photographer ...

You could try to get in every shot, doing something stupid, just to mess up the picture. Bwahahaha:twisted:

jazzpants
04-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Oh, we had something like that not last Monday but the one before. We had a gal who I found out did make it once to US Nationals and was popping up triples all over the rink (well, before it got crowded, then I see her more just skating around the rink...) :P

Asking the people that were filming her, one guy said Oh, she's a former Olympian and we're from ESPN.... After skating around and asking Jay who that lady is (I got the name but I forgot it now...) I later told them, "Yeah, riiiiight!!! I see no press badges, no camera lighting and your cameras are probably NOT even professional grade." The guys were like "WHOOOO!!! Major SLAM!!!" They admit they were college students filming her for a college project and she admitted that she did make it to US Nationals once... (The camera was barely professional grade... it's all the college can afford...) ;)

AnnM
04-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Discomfort: Let's start with the new not-yet-broken-in boots. Let's add to that, new & different blades. Just for kicks, let's also throw in a small cut right where the top of my left boot hits my ankle. Are you getting the idea yet? Ouch!

Skating-wise, everything was pretty much a mess because I'm not used to the blades yet and the boots are still pretty stiff.

Delight: We changed the part of my program that I really disliked into something I feel more comfortable with. We also figured out that I can do choctaws better starting with my right foot, so that got changed as well.

Bottom line though is that I will absolutely need every possible skating day of the next thirteen weeks before ISI Worlds to get this program presentable. 8O

NoVa Sk8r
04-29-2005, 02:05 PM
I will absolutely need every possible skating day of the next thirteen weeks before ISI Worlds to get this program presentable. 8OHuh? Oh, you must mean the international adult competition in Oberstdorf. Again, let's not kid ourselves--it's not Adult Worlds! (And I guess you meant to write ISU Worlds?)

slusher
04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Discomfort:

This sounds stupid, but I wore a new dress, one I've had for a while and although everyone says it is fine I still think it is too short. I skate in a rink with mirrors so I didn't spend any time watching my feet, I was looking at the mirrors, thinking "dress too short, dress too short".

Delight:

I got a nice comment on my 3 turns for the European. That made my day.

My sympathies to all those with new boots. You know it's good for you but break-in time is ugly.

And, I agree with Mrs. Redboots, ice dance does wonders for presentation. When trying to learn (and pass) a dance, conquering the mysterious "expression" component makes you pay attention to the rest of your body.

Mrs Redboots
04-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Discomfort: Let's start with the new not-yet-broken-in boots. Let's add to that, new & different blades. Just for kicks, let's also throw in a small cut right where the top of my left boot hits my ankle. Are you getting the idea yet? Ouch!

Skating-wise, everything was pretty much a mess because I'm not used to the blades yet and the boots are still pretty stiff. You sound like me - except that you have 13 weeks before your competition, and I have a month! But I've persevered, skating every day this week except Monday, and today my boots were seriously beginning to feel like mine. I'm also more comfortable on the blades, too, except that for some reason today my body forgot how to do a LFI Mohawk - weird, or what?

For me, the secret has been to take my time lacing them up, not allowing myself to be rushed by impatient husbands who only have new blades..... And luckily they only rub in one tiny place, and usually not that once they've warmed up. But if you have a tiny cut, put a plaster (Band-Aid) on it before you skate to stop it rubbing - or wear those long nylon pop-socks or tights.

Meanwhile, This sounds stupid, but I wore a new dress, one I've had for a while and although everyone says it is fine I still think it is too short. I skate in a rink with mirrors so I didn't spend any time watching my feet, I was looking at the mirrors, thinking "dress too short, dress too short".Didn't that make you skate better, though, as you weren't looking down?

NickiT
04-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Delight
Back on the ice for the first time this week, as we've had our Open competition running all week. Having had a very good time at the Adult Skate Clinic in Nottingham last weekend, I made a determined effort to work on my presentation and posture which has always been my downfall.

Also had my first lesson with my new coach, as my "old" coach is leaving to go to Chicago. She finishes tomorrow so my daughter has one more lesson with her, but since she was moving out of her home today she arranged for new coach to take me. My lesson went OK though I did feel a little strange "performing" for a different coach.

Discomfort
Grrrr......I was pulling off decent camel-sit spins consistently over the weekend at Nottingham but today it felt like they'd stayed there. I don't blame them really. Nottingham is an amazing rink! So I couldn't do one in my programme today for my new coach, but I did manage one at the end of my lesson. Also missed my flip in my programme which is scary since I never normally have a problem with this and now I've missed it twice in two weeks! I guess it was nerves due to new coach!

I'll be saying my final farewells to my coach tomorrow which isn't going to be easy, given that she started coaching me before my daughter was even thought of, some 12 years ago. I hate "goodbyes" and I just know I'm going to cry. :cry:

Nicki

AnnM
04-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Huh? Oh, you must mean the international adult competition in Oberstdorf. Again, let's not kid ourselves--it's not Adult Worlds! (And I guess you meant to write ISU Worlds?)

No, I meant what I wrote and I'm certainly not kidding myself about anything: The ISI Worlds. As in the Ice Skating Institute Worlds Competition. Not all adult skaters are focused solely on USFSA and ISU events. It will be held the last week of July in Anaheim, CA. You can check www.skateisi.org for more details. While there are numerous individual competitions for kids and adults, there is also a "team" aspect to the competition as well, with each rink's participant's considered to be part of the team, earning points for the overall team ranking. From what I have heard and read about this competition in the past, there are several entries from Asia and other countries/continents as well. There was a thread on this forum a few weeks back about this particular competition.

NoVa Sk8r
04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
No, I meant what I wrote and I'm certainly not kidding myself about anything: The ISI Worlds.Ah, thanx for the info; sounds cool. Good luck! 8-)

slusher
04-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Meanwhile, Didn't that make you skate better, though, as you weren't looking down? - about my short dress

Oh, I meant that I look at the reflection of my feet in the mirror. I can't actually look at my feet themselves, that disorients me, but I have no problem watching them in the mirror. See, I think my mohawk is closed, and it's as wide open as the garden gate with the wind blowing through (or things coaches say). But I was not paying attention to my feet nor my mohawk but was fixated on the size of my thighs. stupid, eh?

Mrs Redboots
04-30-2005, 04:43 AM
- about my short dress

Oh, I meant that I look at the reflection of my feet in the mirror. I can't actually look at my feet themselves, that disorients me, but I have no problem watching them in the mirror. See, I think my mohawk is closed, and it's as wide open as the garden gate with the wind blowing through (or things coaches say). But I was not paying attention to my feet nor my mohawk but was fixated on the size of my thighs. stupid, eh?Oh, I see - yes, how lucky you are to have a mirror, wish our rink did. Or perhaps not, one might discover how awful one looked.... Nobody else will have looked at your thighs, or minded if they did, so I shouldn't worry too much - and aren't you, like us, expected to wear a dress, or at least a dance skirt, for tests and competitions? I have seen adults test in practice-kit, and I'm sure it's fine for moves, but we're expected to "posh up" - and I, for one, find it boosts my self-confidence.

Not skating today - we were going to, and then decided we needed a rest day, so went back to sleep!

Casey
04-30-2005, 05:37 AM
Delight: Got my skates sharpened at the new home rink because a lot of people at my old rink would come here for sharpenings.

It cost less than the place I'd been going since I got my skates, but it took a while because the guy who was going to sharpen them said he couldn't do tapered blades, so I had to wait until the next day when the good sharpener was in.

I had the radius of hollow of the grind reduced from 7/'16" to 5/16". It didn't take very long to get used to it, and I am really liking the change.

Discomfort: I'm still getting used to skating again after taking a week off - my stamina is crappy, and spins have gone downhill a lot. Jumps are good, but I can't do as many in a session as I used to yet.

Scarlett
04-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Delight: It's been a rough week. I didn't break anything.

Discomfort: Had an extra lesson that was okay and then I was working on power stroking, caught a toepick, and went down hard on my knees. It was one of those falls where the entire ice shook and others stopped to see if I was okay. My knees are both bruised and swollen and I somehow hurt my hip in the process. Man that ice is both hard and slippery.

slusher
04-30-2005, 02:49 PM
and aren't you, like us, expected to wear a dress, or at least a dance skirt, for tests and competitions?

I wear a dress all the time even at the freezing cold rink (yes, it's possible to wear 3 pairs of tights). I usually wear a dance length dress, it was funny the first time I wore a fluffy chiffon dance skirt, it kept fluffing and I kept looking at it and didn't pay attention to anything else, I was like a little kid in a Cinderella dress. So, going from dance dress to what basically is a freeskate dress was a bit of a culture shock. I wasn't quite used to seeing so much leg. It was like I'd never seen legs before.

Skating with a mirror is so much fun. You think you can do things because they feel good and then you see your pathetic spiral or even your chopping stroking down the rink and it is the greatest motivation to improve. They also have video, that's another level of honesty. All jumps seem large until reviewed on video.

kittie067
04-30-2005, 03:50 PM
I'd find it distracting to have mirrors as well.
Although im sure it would help me see what exactly I'm doing wrong.

Good luck to those with competitions!!
I have one around May 20! 8O

~kittie

Isk8NYC
05-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Delight:
Took a long lunch on Friday to skate at a rink I'd never been to before. Ran into a friend, who clued me in on something I wasn't aware of before. Always good to network.

Oh, right. This is an "On Ice" thread. Practiced the dippy little steps for the show program. Still look like a farm animal. Ah, well. Did some great (for me) laybacks.

Discomfort:
This rink has a sand base, rather than a concrete base. It sounds hollow when I tear into a spin or jump. But, the ice didn't get too badly ripped up, so it's just an echo.

My jumps are better, but I was still wobbling on the loop takeoff.

Side note: Went to Klingbeil's on Saturday morning and Don changed the foam and fixed something under the inner sole of my skates. Tried them out later and felt much better than they have in months. Guess I was a-wearing them down, huh? Now to get ready for tomorrow night's practice!

jazzpants
05-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Discomfort:

I called up my weekend rink and found out they had 5 birthday parties, all with about 20 people in each party! Can you say ICE MAYHEM!?!?! 8O Needless to say, the only rink that is open on a Sat. afternoon that isn't crazy is the one rink I want to avoid b/c the ice is crappy and the mood of the skaters in that rink aren't very encouraging... My mind essentially said ALL the rinks around my area are gonna be crawling with kiddies!!!

Delight:
So I ended up going to the rink that has the least amount of hassles with parking...my alternate weekend rink!!! (God, I love the Bay Area!!! :mrgreen: ) And to my surprise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... well at least the beginning of the session anyway. It did get bad towards the ice cut break though, when the b-day party kiddies decided to go out on the ice. 8O

Discomfort again:
I got some practice done, but I did really get a chance to set myself up for what I really wanted to do, which was to start building up speed and confidence in the power 3's. I got the beginning intro 3 okay, but the rest of it is what I really wanted to do. Also, I couldn't practice the alt. back crossovers or the back crossovers to BO edge either, b/c there were a LOT of kids and I've already had a few close calls on one attempt of those two moves.

Melzorina
05-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Discomfort: I can't do my toe loop right. I'm getting there but whatever. My loop... is pathetic. I don't like it. Salchow needs more height, as does three jump. Nice landing.

Delight: I backspun! I backspun like there was no tomrrow! I kept trying to do it in my lesson, from standstill and i just couldn't. I tried so hard and it just wasn't happenening, and on my last attempt before the end of my lesson, I did it. The feeling was amazing, I wasn't even trying I was just spinning around really fast, not even thinking about it, it was just happening. I realised I was turning and couldn't believe it so I just stood still spinning round and finally stopped and started jumping up and down like a raving loony.

Skate@Delaware
05-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Delight: I finally went skating yesterday!!! We were up north for daughter's audition, so we packed our skates and made a 'side trip' to The Pond. Another plus-there were only about 12 people max on the ice!! Glad we went. Got my skates sharpened really nice and did about 5 decent scratch spins (with crossed leg)-I won't tell you how many bad ones I did... :oops:

Discomfort: Something has been 'out' in my back so I see the chiropractor tomorrow for another adjustment-it's very stiff and sore (maybe from lack of skating?) My skates also rubbed a spot-gotta fix that; as well as cut out a section on the tongue where it's compressing the nerve (it's always something, huh?)

dbny
05-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Discomfort:
As expected, due to a school vacation this week, my usual empty Friday public session was packed with kids. It was so bad that the skate guard actually asked me to work only in the center, even though I was just doing three turns from the wall.

Still have not managed a good B crossover to RFO edge on the L side of the power threes. If I do a real crossover, I can't get forward without a little toe tap first. I can get forward if I do a sloppy, half a$$ed crossover.

Delight:
I have an adult skating buddy at this session who was there also, and we helped each other as usual. She helped me with critique, and I helped her by showing her new moves (which also helps me, as I always skate better in demo mode.)

Demos of the R side of the Prelim power threes got me doing very nice, clean BXO's to RFO's. The three turns on both sides are also becoming much more stable and less scary.

Again managed at least one clean LFI three in the alt three pattern, other than the first one.

Still don't know if I get to be in the coaches' group number in our show, but in preparation, I practiced entering a two foot spin from wind up, and it did improve. One foot spin also is trying to make a comeback. Again, doing a demo for my friend helped. She has a very nice one foot spin, but wanted to do a few revs with free leg extended first. To that end, I showed her an entrance via a strong LFO lobe from the line to the line, and that's where my one foot spin began to happen again. Love those demos!

Tried a simple sequence of RFI Mohawk, step to RBO Mohawk etc, which I had seen in someone's program and liked. I was actually able to do it for a full half hockey circle with a little speed. Tried it the other way, and was able to do that too, in spite of my usually clumsy LFI Mohawks. This is a move I can do in the show if I can get it going fast enough. My friend said it was very smooth.

NoVa Sk8r
05-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Discomfort:
Every jump, spin, and pair element as of late seems to be such a chore to do. And I've been feeling way too apathetic toward skating lately, and it's been difficult to motivate myself. ...

Delight:
... But this all changed yesterday when I skated 2 evening freestyles: My spirit for skating came back! I got all my spins back--even spins I haven't done in 5-6 months. I also rotated a double salchow (though it was 2-footed). 8-) And a friend helped me learn a choctaw footwork sequence.

This feeling of joy for skating had been missing for some time, so I'm glad to get it back.

Loops, your reinvigorated partner is back--so watch out! :P

sk8pics
05-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Delight Dragged myself to the rink this morning and was rewarded with private ice for about 10 minutes, then skated with one other person for another 5 or 10 minutes, then a few other people got on the ice. It was great! :D Did my program to the music for the first time in a while without my coach there to lend moral (and sometimes physical) support. Tripped on a forward crossover, didn't fall, and continued with my program without freaking out. 8-) I was very proud of myself! Practiced multiple sections of the program multiple times and it was all good. Salchow was better than it's been in a while on my own in the middle of the rink! I needed a day like today since the sessions are going to get more crowded due to rink closures for maintenance.

Happy skating,
Pat

jazzpants
05-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Delight:

Went to weekend rink today! Not too crowded! :D
Discomfort:

Zamboni broken down! I skated on crappy ice this afternoon!
Those power 3's... I either could do them right but slow, or fast and shaky... why can't I do them right when it's fast? :frus:
FI mohawks. Don't ask! dbny knows... :twisted:
Didn't do anything besides Bronze Moves...
Taking it easy the rest of this evening and going to bed early! :D

Thin-Ice
05-02-2005, 02:26 AM
Delight:
[list]
Went to weekend rink today! Not too crowded! :D

Hey Jazzpants...

Which ones are your weekend rink and your alternate weekend rink? Maybe we could meet up sometime... :?:

Thin-Ice

blue111moon
05-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Delight: Last Thursday we polished up the choreography of my freeskate program (about Time!) and yesterday I remembered the changes! The run-through of the Interp seems decent as well, which is terrific since I'm supposed to skate it in my club's exhibition next Saturday.

Discomfort: I taught tot learn-to-skate after FS yesterday and managed to take a major fall in front of the kids. I was tossing beanie animals onto the ice for the kids to go fetch (practicing stops, glides and bending over) when I slipped off the heels of my blades and crashed to the ice on the small of my back. Note: I did not cry and the kids said I did fall just the way I tell them to. :) But I had to drive to Boston afterward and sit through Ice Chips in a chilly arena and drive home again so I'm really hurting today. Even a hot shower didn't do much toward loosening the muscles in my back. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow since club summer ice starts and I need to skate if I'm going to do the show on Saturday.

jazzpants
05-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey Jazzpants...

Which ones are your weekend rink and your alternate weekend rink? Maybe we could meet up sometime... :?:

Thin-IceHi, Thin-Ice:

My weekend rink is "Berzerk"-ley. Alt. weekend rink is Bridgepointe. I usually go in the afternoons during late Spring, all summer and early fall. Late fall it's right at 11:15am when the rink opens. Winter to early spring it's early morning FS!!! :giveup: (No publics for me then...)

Of course, rainy days and b-day parties on those days usually trumps all... I usually call Berkeley the day that I'm there and find out if it's crowded or not and how many b-day parties there are. If it's like 2 parties and about 10 people in the party, I usually would go to my weekend rink. If it's more like 5 parties and about 20 kids per party, I usually hit the alt. weekend rink then.

As for rainy weather, that will bring the kids in b/c the parents wants to tire them out and they can't take them out to the playground. Guess where one of the places the parents end up taking them? :evil:

PM me and we'll work out something! :D