View Full Version : How do I get a coach?

Anita18
04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
So it looks like I'll have a ton of time during the first half of the summer to skate, and I want to (finally) get a private coach to work out my footwork, spins, jumps, and every other bad habit I might have picked up by trying to teach myself for 3 years, LOL. :halo:

Problem is, since I've never had a private coach, I have no idea how to go about getting one! :oops: Well I did have a couple of lessons a few years ago, but they were all from skaters I knew literally going, "Oh, you should get so-and-so!" and kinda dumping me onto them, LOL. This time, I'll be going to a totally new rink so I won't know anyone.

I know that I could either come up to a coach myself, or I could fill out one of those forms at the pro shop and they'll match me up with a coach depending on our schedules. I dunno about the second option, since I'm quite along in my skills and I have particular tastes in teaching styles. (Like, my piano teacher and I get along great because she gives me practical tips instead of saying, "It should sound like this.")

Another problem is that I'll have free time only during the first 9 weeks after school gets out, and I dunno how a coach would feel about being only temporary. My window is also in the middle of group lesson sessions, so I'd have to take a LOT of makeups but I've done so many group lessons in the past and I think it's time I got a private one..

If anyone skates or has skated at the Pasadena Ice Skating Center, could you recommend anyone for me? (http://www.skatepasadena.com/private_lessons.htm)I've gotten all the single jumps up to loop consistent. Flip and lutz are kinda-there-kinda-not, and I've never attempted the axel. Scratch spin is finally getting along, but my sitspin has gone out the window in the process. Backspins are okay; at least I'm spinning on the right edge but it could be faster/more stable. Dabbling on backsits and camels. Footwork sucks - can't do anything except forward 3-turns, mohawks, and backward choctaws well, LOL. And of course, I could always be faster...

Thanks!

sue123
04-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, I called the skating school, and they ask you questions based on your skating level, your style, competiveness, and availability, and they recommended someone based on that. It actually worked out well, I personally think I have the best coach in the rink. I've improved drastically working with her (if I may say so myself). You can also go to the rink and watch other skaters work with their coaches. Find one with a style you like and approach them. If you tell the coach outright that you can only take lessons for a certain amount of time, let them know in advance. I don't think they would have a problem. I told my coach that I'm usually on a tight schedule, and when my finances get low, I'm going to have to cancel sometimes, and she was cool with that, as long as I would call her the night before if I was going to cancel.

Sorry I don't skate in Pasadena, I'm in NY. But I hope you find somebody. Best of luck.

techskater
04-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Go to your normal rink, scope out the skaters and the coaches. Find skaters who appear to have good technique and a coach you think you might have a good repoire with. When that coach is not busy, ask them and they may or may not be able to fit you in their schedule or recommend someone else

dooobedooo
04-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Summer is a good time to find a new coach, as this is when school-age skaters are busy with exams, regular skaters go on holiday or leave for university. So good coaches are more likely to have gaps.

So aim to fix something up before mid-July; alternatively first week in September.

If you can skate outside peak times, you will be more likely to find a coach who can fit in with your needs regarding flexibility. Peak times include all mornings from 06.00 to 08.30 ish. Priority is usually given to schoolchildren for the "after school" patches from say 15.30 to 17.30. So if you can come in to skate on a weekday at 09.00 or 10.00, or say 15.00 - you are more likely to find a coach who can fit you in.

kayskate
04-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Summer is a good time to find a new coach, as this is when school-age skaters are busy with exams, regular skaters go on holiday or leave for university. So good coaches are more likely to have gaps.

Don't know where you are, but what I have noticed in the US is that coaches are busy in summer. That is when kids are out of school and are involved in all-day skating camps/programs. They are working on programs for the coming competitive yr. Once I had a coach who had to reduce my time so he could accomodate the competitive kids during summer.

For the original poster, it sounds like your skills are in the beginning FS levels, so you will want to look for someone who does not charge a fortune. Don't know what your goals are, but at this point, you do not need the priciest coach in the rink. You might want to try a couple of coaches and pick the one who suits your needs and style. Let them know you are only there for the summer. They are used to that in the summer in many places.

Kay

Chico
04-24-2005, 10:18 PM
I would pick your coach. Only you know the style of coaching that would work well for you. I'd watch the coaches and see who your interested in. I'd also ask fellow skaters about their coaches. What do they like and dislike about their coach. Everyone has good and not so good points. Can you work with both? I agree on a costly coach, but a little more might be worth it if the skating fit is a great one. The coaches at my rink get BUSY in the summer. I'd talk to someone now before they get too busy to fit you in. If they obtain you as a student now they will try to accomodate you this summer. Talk to your coach and make sure they understand your skating goals. Listen to theirs as a coach. Both are important. Try a few trial lessons and feel out the partnership. And it is a partnership. THINK carefully before you decide. Good luck! Oh, ask. =-) I'd do this in person when the coach isn't busy. Zamboni time maybe.

AnnM
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I live thirty minutes from Pasadena, but have never skated out there. However, when I moved down to SoCal I also had to find a new coach and didn't have any recommendations. So I went out to a couple public sessions and looked at other adult skaters that were either near or slightly above my skill level, who had good form & technique. I struck up conversation with one of them, and asked her about coaches at the rink. She gave me a recommendation and fortunately that coach happened to be at the rink at the time. I talked to the coach off-ice first, told her what I was looking for and what my time commitment would be, and we agreed to schedule a single "no strings attached" lesson to see how things went. After my lesson, I also stuck around the rink to watch my coach in action with other students to get a feel for how she generally interacts with people. That was aboout two years ago, and I've been quite pleased with the results.

I think that as long as you are up front with any coach about the 9-week thing, and they still agree to take you on, it shouldn't be a problem.

garyc254
04-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Also, ask around. Talk to other skaters. Talk to coaches. Word of mouth will sometimes get you more insight than a directors recommendation.

We have a local "coach" (I use the word loosely) who is not trained, never took a lesson herself, and has been able to bluff her way into becoming one of the highest paid coaches in the area. Unfortunately, most skaters don't find out how inept she is until they can't pass tests because of the poor technique they've learned from their "coach".

:evil: