View Full Version : Ideas for an Interpretive Programs? (aka Artistic programs)

Caro
04-23-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm interested in doing Interpretive programs, but I don't know what exactly is meant by a "theme". How obvious does my theme have to be? Up until now, everyone I know has either done: Carmen, Romeo and Juliet or Chicago!!! Can themes be something more abstract (ex. sadness), or does it have to interpret a story or character?

And then, apart from that, does anyone have any ideas for music & theme for me? It would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Shinn-Reika
04-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Is there a difference between an interpretive program and a simple exhibition?

Madame Saccoche
04-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Are you Canadian or American. If you are Canadian, Skate canada has ver specific guidelines about artistic prorammes ( check out the members only section on the Skate Canada website).

phoenix
04-23-2005, 03:40 PM
If you're in the States, there's actually a difference between Artistic & Interpretive. Someone help me out here, because I always forget which is which!

I believe it's Artistic where you choose your music w/ a theme. If that's what you're thinking of doing, the ones I've seen that do well w/ the judges are the ones w/ VERY obvious, literal themes/costumes, not so much abstract. That's actually the reason I stopped doing them--I thought at first--"great--I can do a program w/ very few jumps, & just SKATE", which is what I love. Then I found out that it's really a big costume contest & I didn't feel like dressing up like Minnie Mouse or Miss Piggy in order to be competitive. This is JMO, and I have seen some really good artistic programs--I just kind of shy away from the over-the-top costuming & props.

Interpretive is at some competitions, where you hear a piece of music played a couple of times, then go out & wing it--making up the program as you go. Which sounds like fun to me, though I've never tried it.

Caro
04-23-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm Canadian... What I've been told is that with the Interpretive program (in Canada), you are marked on flow, interpretation, edges, speed, etc.

2salch0w
04-23-2005, 05:18 PM
What the previous poster described as Interpretive is actually Improvisational, where you just have to wing it w/ very short notice.

Interpretive is where you can do vocal music, no axels, and the emphasis is on the theme of the program and audience reaction. Skating well helps. :)

I don't think it is so much about over-the-top costuming as it is about how clever the theme is. I also find that the funniest program is often the winner.

Some good examples of interp I've seen this past season:

- Oksana Baiul in her 60s, barely able to skate anymore so relying on posturing and acting all full of herself. At nationals the skater that did this program really camped it up and gave an autographed photo of herself to each judge.

- A routine to Patsy Cline's "Crazy" in a straight jacket. Think of how hard it is to skate w/out your arms!

- A wind-up toy marching toy with the big wind-up thing sticking out of her back. At one point she gets stuck on the boards and keeps walking into them.

- A routine to Weird Al's "I found it on eBay" with an assortment of cheesy items you'd only find on eBay (like a Smurf TV tray).

- Full Grinch costume, including green makeup, to "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch". What was special about this program was how well the skater imitated the mannerisms and movements of the Grinch.

- I've only heard about this, but a male skater starting out in hockey attire and gradually transforming into a figure skater, both in skating style and costume.

Tim

Isabelle
04-23-2005, 05:34 PM
No, an interpretive doesn't have to portray a character or story. From what I understood, "artistics" were supposed to tell a story, but when they changed it to interpretive, it was supposed to be more interpreting the music and giving a feeling rather than a story. But lots of people seem to be still doing that so who knows.

MannyisHOT
04-23-2005, 06:15 PM
I just say interperative/artistic... i am doing "What Would Brian Boitano Do"