View Full Version : AN Committee Meeting?

skateflo
04-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Did anyone attend the adult committee meeting at AN? What was discussed?

Terri C
04-20-2005, 10:27 AM
I posted this same question in the AN Gossip thread, but didn't get any answers! C'mon people!

NoVa Sk8r
04-20-2005, 10:46 AM
There is a paucity of responses mainly because the meeting was held while skating events were going on and it was held it in the open lobby so it was damn near impossible to hear what was being said. :roll:

(And Steve asks, why is that people who are in charge of meetings have absolutely the worst projection in their voices? Next time, maybe a small mike would suffice!)

daisies
04-20-2005, 01:21 PM
I was there. And btw every year the meeting is held during events. There is no way to schedule it so that it can be convenient for everyone. Events are going on from early morning to late night, so when else could it have been?

Items discussed included all the requests for action at Governing Council, including the lowering of ages and why it's needed to bring in more skaters. It was noted that AN is experiencing a "slow death" because there aren't a lot of new skaters coming in to the fold, and one way to address that is to lower the age to 21, since there are a lot of skaters in that 21-24 demo who have nowhere to compete (collegiates are only for college students who are high level, so what of the lower-level skaters or those who just started?) ... there was some discussion on how it would affect the championship levels, since those are all ages together. But for the most part it was agreed that something needed to be done to bring in more adults, and this was one way.

Also discussed was the upcoming O'dorf competition, and Rhea Schwartz stressed that it is a work in progress, the same way the first AN in Delaware was. Originally, Cinquanta wanted it to be 30 to 60 years old, and Rhea and her team pushed for 25-65 ... they only got the 65, but it's a start. They hope that if it's successful, they can make more changes next year.

Other items were the introduction of the new committee chair (Tony Conte) and the possibility of applying CoP at AN. Mary Cook asked if we would be open to it, and most people said yes. She said they plan to study how it can be implemented but that they they didn't just want to go through with it w/o making sure it's something we wanted.

Also discussed was the ridiculous policy this year of only playing 1 minute of music during PAID practice. I was told by several USFS people that "that's how we've always done it." Well, I've been to every AN, and I can safely say that's how they've NEVER done it. (Last year they played one minute on the official warmups, but paid practice we always got the whole thing.) I was also told that they did it this year to be "fair" because on a 30-minute session, not everyone would get their music played. IMO it was very UNfair, because that meant Bronze skaters, at 1:40, got more than half their music, and Champ. Masters, at 3:40, got less than a third. Apparently this "policy" was only in effect on Tuesday and part of Wednesday, because a lot of people complained. But it was brought up at the meeting so that hopefully it will never happen again. Neither Maggie Harding nor Ann Dougherty were aware of the problem and thought perhaps it was an LOC decision, but we informed them that it was a USFS decision, so they planned to look into it.

That's all I can think of right now.

Zoomana
04-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Did adult moves in the field come up? I heard something about they may be changing some of them. Just wondering, since my coach is trying to convince terrified me to take adult bronze moves (my last test was a failed (by .2) preliminary moves and I took adult pre-bronze free before moves were instituted). Those alternating threes did me in...and I selfishly hope they don't get moved to the bronze moves test! Thanks.

LoopLoop
04-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Also discussed was the ridiculous policy this year of only playing 1 minute of music during PAID practice. I was told by several USFS people that "that's how we've always done it." Well, I've been to every AN, and I can safely say that's how they've NEVER done it. (Last year they played one minute on the official warmups, but paid practice we always got the whole thing.) ... Apparently this "policy" was only in effect on Tuesday and part of Wednesday, because a lot of people complained. But it was brought up at the meeting so that hopefully it will never happen again. Neither Maggie Harding nor Ann Dougherty were aware of the problem and thought perhaps it was an LOC decision, but we informed them that it was a USFS decision, so they planned to look into it.
The policy was implemented inconsistently even on Tuesday night; I had a practice session on Rink B where they played only 1 minute, and an hour later a friend was practicing on Rink A where they played her whole program.

daisies
04-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Did adult moves in the field come up? I heard something about they may be changing some of them.It didn't really come up, but yes there is a proposal to change them. It's not a request for action at this point because it was passed by the Board of Directors last October. It only needs to be ratified at GC. The proposal can be found here:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=27717

skateflo
04-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Daisies - Thank you so much for your response! I decided to try a separate thread as the 'gossip' thread didn't respond......I guess they were still on an emotional high. And yes, the meeting always took place during competitions.

But could you also tell me if they had any off-ice seminars? When I used to go in the beginning years, I always looked forward to them - sports medicine was one I always enjoyed, and there was one with Judy Blumberg that was great too.

We've had many, many discussions about AN and IMHO I think two major factors have slowed the entries - the mandatory MITF (current structure, especially for the adult learner) and seeing returning skaters (no matter what their younger experience) outclassing the truly adult learner. This is not said to rehash everyones individual story - just my observation.

daisies
04-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Could you also tell me if they had any off-ice seminars? When I used to go in the beginning years, I always looked forward to them - sports medicine was one I always enjoyed, and there was one with Judy Blumberg that was great too.There were no seminars this year, to my knowledge. I remember they used to have those back in the day. The facility this year wasn't really conducive to seminars, because there were no large rooms in which people could congregate (also the reason the committee meeting was in the main lobby).

Terri C
04-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Items discussed included all the requests for action at Governing Council, including the lowering of ages and why it's needed to bring in more skaters. It was noted that AN is experiencing a "slow death" because there aren't a lot of new skaters coming in to the fold, and one way to address that is to lower the age to 21, since there are a lot of skaters in that 21-24 demo who have nowhere to compete (collegiates are only for college students who are high level, so what of the lower-level skaters or those who just started?) ... there was some discussion on how it would affect the championship levels, since those are all ages together. But for the most part it was agreed that something needed to be done to bring in more adults, and this was one way.

I have a idea that could be tried out. Why not, for one AN, allow Pre- Bronze free as a event? Moves are keeping a lot of people at a level for a long time!

Other items were the introduction of the new committee chair (Tony Conte)

Who will be the new East Coast Vice Chair?

SkateGuard
04-20-2005, 07:03 PM
We've had many, many discussions about AN and IMHO I think two major factors have slowed the entries - the mandatory MITF (current structure, especially for the adult learner) and seeing returning skaters (no matter what their younger experience) outclassing the truly adult learner. This is not said to rehash everyones individual story - just my observation.

I agree, skateflo....those are two big reasons why people aren't going to ANs. This year felt very small....whether it was a reduced number of starts or just the way the competition was set up, I don't know.

However, we have to also remember that the world is very different when ANs were in Lake Placid in 2000. Layoffs and hiring freezes are the norm, and jobs, especially for entry level positions, are rare. I think it has become harder for people to justify the expense of going to ANs. ANs costs between $500 and $1K for me, depending on location (unless it's in Chicago, which will hopefully happen soon)--but I'm also single with a good job, and old enough to have a bit of experience...

Another factor is that ANs doesn't coincide with _any_ school spring break, so it is extraordinarily difficult for public school teachers (and some parents) to go. Next year, since ANs is so early, it might make it easier for some.

The only part of the meeting I saw was when what to do when there is not enough skaters to hold an event was discussed. Generally, people agree that it is the referee's decision. Hopefully, the age lowering will coincide with whatever changes are made to deal with this issue, since I really wonder how many "groups of one" there will be in that young age division....

Zoomana
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks, Daisies, for the link to the proposed changes re: moves. Yikes, I guess I'm safe with bronze moves if I get the courage to take it, but if silver moves change, I'm doomed. I've been trying to do power pulls with my coach for years, and my "good" foot has issues due to an old injury and my "bad" foot is just...bad....I know moves are great for skating skills, and I was doing the standard track willingly way before the adult track added them. However, except for an axel (which I'm working on but not yet there), I'd be considered a good silver skater or a beginning gold skater, I've got a pretty good command of most of the jumps and spins. Thankfully I don't have a huge urge to compete, that "sandbag" word is too easy for those who don't know that moves are your nemesis!

jazzpants
04-20-2005, 08:17 PM
I have a idea that could be tried out. Why not, for one AN, allow Pre- Bronze free as a event? Moves are keeping a lot of people at a level for a long time!I wish for that too, but fat chance THAT will ever happen! :roll: *sigh* :P

Then again, being a Bronze level skater is sorta a badge of honor for me... so passing those tests will be quite SWEET!!! ;)

Terri C
04-20-2005, 08:21 PM
I wish for that too, but fat chance THAT will ever happen! *sigh* :P

Then again, being a Bronze level skater is sorta a badge of honor for me... so passing those tests will be quite SWEET!!! ;)

Well, as long as it's looking like there will be well balanced program requirements for Pre- Bronze, why not?? It sounds like as if they need the numbers!!

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2005, 01:27 PM
I didn't attend the meeting - my husband did, part of it - but one thing I did hear, going past, was the suggestion that if you have your tests videoed, to send a copy of the video to (I think) the USFS powers-that-be so that they can get more of an idea of adult standards and teach judges what an adult test ought to look like.

jazzpants
04-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Any comments on where AN 2007 is gonna be? :P

jazzpants
04-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Any comments on where AN 2007 is gonna be? :PForgot to add... Same with Adult Sectionals for 2006 (besides Easterns...)

TIA

SkateGuard
04-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Any comments on where AN 2007 is gonna be? :P

Well, since bids were due a few weeks ago, there should be no annoucement anytime soon. I know two cities that have bid for it, and I think most will be happy with either choice....all I'll say is that one is Eastern and the other is Midwestern.... 8-)

The sectionals....Strongsville, OH for Mids (yay) and Oakland (St. Moritz hosting) for Pac Coasts. By the way, all are early this year to accomodate the early ANs.....

jazzpants
04-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Oakland (St. Moritz hosting) for Pac Coasts. By the way, all are early this year to accomodate the early ANs.....YAAAAY!!! I don't have to travel for Sectional in 2006!!! :mrgreen: If all goes well, I'll make my (Bronze FS) Sectionals debut here!

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/chika/chirolp_iei.gif

(Jazzpants doing the happy dance... though I admit that I think the Oakland rink is kinda dumpy...) :P

manleywoman
04-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Jazzpants: in addition, you may have a huge influx of qualifying skaters from Mids and Easterns, due to the fact that the Turin Olympics are at the same time as both, but do NOT overlap with Pacifics! So there was some discussion about skaters who have tickets for the Olys but also want to do Championship Masters having to switch regions to Pacifics for a year to skate the qualifying.

(which hopefully increases my chances of qualifying in my region!) :twisted:

jazzpants
04-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Jazzpants: in addition, you may have a huge influx of qualifying skaters from Mids and Easterns, due to the fact that the Turin Olympics are at the same time as both, but do NOT overlap with Pacifics! So there was some discussion about skaters who want to do Championship Masters having to switch regions to Pacifics for a year to skate the qualifying.

(which hopefully increases my chances of qualifying in my region!) :twisted:Ah, forget that!!! C'mon over for a year to my skating club and visit me in Oakland! You'll love SF!!! It'll be a blast!!! :lol:

Raine
04-22-2005, 08:25 AM
(collegiates are only for college students who are high level, so what of the lower-level skaters or those who just started?)

These categories exist in intercollegiate competition:

Pre-intermediate A no axels or doubles
Pre-intermediate B axels no doubles
Pre-intermediate C no restrictions

At my club, a number of skaters are relatively new to the sport and compete in Pre-intermediate A, so there are opportunities for some college students to compete at less-advanced levels.

Cheers,
Raine

SweetestThing
04-22-2005, 12:52 PM
The sectionals....Strongsville, OH for Mids (yay) and Oakland (St. Moritz hosting) for Pac Coasts. By the way, all are early this year to accomodate the early ANs.....

Mids are going to be in Strongsville, OH? That is so cool because that is the town that my parents live in! I am in Colorado so Ohio is a long way to go, but since it's where my parents live that makes it even more worth the trip! I can also bring my daughter so they can see her. And I won't have to worry about finding a hotel! :)

daisies
04-22-2005, 01:29 PM
These categories exist in intercollegiate competition:

Pre-intermediate A no axels or doubles
Pre-intermediate B axels no doubles
Pre-intermediate C no restrictionsI was talking about the national collegiate competiton (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=22273) and not intercollegiate competitions. Intercollegiate competitions are team competitions, and not every college/university has a program like that.

w.w.west
04-29-2005, 08:25 PM
The minutes from the meeting in Kansas are at usfigureskating.org. Here is a direct link:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adultminutes-4-05.pdf

sk8er1964
04-29-2005, 10:56 PM
The minutes from the meeting in Kansas are at usfigureskating.org. Here is a direct link:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adultminutes-4-05.pdf

Thanks for posting this, w.w.west. I'm afraid when this was going on, I was on a mission for food and didn't stop to listen.

Oh, and here's a big THANK YOU for being a wonderful coach for me at AN. I probably wasn't easy, but you were great 8-) :bow: .

w.w.west
05-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Oh, and here's a big THANK YOU for being a wonderful coach for me at AN. I probably wasn't easy, but you were great 8-) :bow: .

My pleasure. Glad I could help. It was pretty easy actually. I just did everything you described to me which was wasn't difficult since we're so alike in our "pre-competition rituals" that it's scary! It was like putting myself on the ice! ;) I told my coaches how similar we were and one of them asked "Does she pace too?". :lol: