View Full Version : British Adult Championships 2005 - change of venue

samba
04-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Looks like it's Sheffield now:
http://www.iceskating.org.uk/adultskating/index.cfm

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks for that! Oh good, we can stay with our daughter! I'll e-mail her forthwith and book a bed.....

dooobedooo
04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Have they REALLY thought through the dance qualifiers rule?

Don't they realise that many adults can't do weekday daytime competitions, because of work commitments?

And the only real possibility during the qualifying period is Bracknell Adults - what if an adult can't make that competition? Plus the cutoff date of "any qualifier after January 2005" seems quite arbitrary.

Reckon dance entries will be right down this year ....

batikat
04-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Have they REALLY thought through the dance qualifiers rule?

Don't they realise that many adults can't do weekday daytime competitions, because of work commitments?

And the only real possibility during the qualifying period is Bracknell Adults - what if an adult can't make that competition? Plus the cutoff date of "any qualifier after January 2005" seems quite arbitrary.

Reckon dance entries will be right down this year ....

Well I have already written to the organisers to complain that it seems a strange and unfair rule. It's not as if they are cutting anyone out on grounds of ability - simply on grounds of whether they can make it to a qualifier or not - and there don't seem to be any in Scotland. And why do dancers have to do a qualifying competition but Free skaters don't? I skate at Bracknell but due to other commitments this year, decided only to enter Free and not dance. I was going to decide after Bracknell Adult opens whether to compete the dance at the British but now I won't have that choice and simply can't compete (even though I have a medal from the 2003 dance championships!). I also think the dance entries will be significantly down this year - just hope that doesn't become an excuse to stop holding the championships.

Mrs Redboots
04-22-2005, 06:00 AM
There was a qualifier at Coventry last week, but I don't think enough people knew about it, as only one couple entered (who won't be at Bracknell this year, alas, it won't be the same without them) - the other couple who competed there didn't realise it was going to be a qualifier, so didn't enter the right classes and "Will have to do Bracknell", as the female half of the couple told me this morning. We were away, or we'd have probably got it out of the way!

dooobedooo
04-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Perhaps it's political, and they WANT to reduce the number of dance entries, who knows ...?!!!

Mrs Redboots
04-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Perhaps it's political, and they WANT to reduce the number of dance entries, who knows ...?!!!I doubt it - certainly not in the couples, where there were no more than 3 entries in any category. I have a feeling that there'll be four couples in the Veteran Elementary this year, oh bother, no medal for us! :( ;) Not if I can help it, mind, but I know all our opposition very well and, thus far, they have always out-skated us.... still, you never know, and I do love trying!

samba
04-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Sheffield is a lovely rink and I was very impressed with the way the whole day was organised last year, right down to the cute little kiddie winks collecting the flowers.

The only thing that let the event down was that yet again there were no trophies to take home on the day, for such a big event it seems unbelievable that they had one set of medals that they just passsed on to the next group of winners for the photos.

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2005, 12:28 PM
The only thing that let the event down was that yet again there were no trophies to take home on the day, for such a big event it seems unbelievable that they had one set of medals that they just passsed on to the next group of winners for the photos.Yes, but when we did get our medals, they already had our names on them, which I thought was cool - I can never be bothered to get it done myself!