View Full Version : Breaking In Boots

twinkle
08-12-2002, 02:50 PM
I've just got a new pair of SPTeris after finding out that my old boots were about 2 sizes too big for me. When we took the inner sole out of my old boots, there were 6cm covered in fluff where my toe had never touched it.

Anyway, any advice on breaking in new boots would be appreciated. I skated in them on Saturday and managed 3 half hours with breaks in between. I left the top hole undone and they didn't feel too stiff but my ankles were very sore, especially when I decided to start jumping.

I'm really glad I finally have boots that fit though, now I know that its not just me, it was the boots being too big that made me feel wobbly.

If anyone has any suspicion that their boots might be too big, I would advise you to go to a reliable pro just to check the fit. If you need to keep tightening your boots and your foot still slips or your heel lifts, they're probably too big.

flippet
08-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Did you leave the top hooks undone as well? You'll probably need to, in order to get decent knee bend, and to give your ankles some relief. If after a few sessions, the ankles aren't feeling any better, for sure take them to get punched out. (My SPTeris were rock-hard, and I tried to tough it out, but it was impossible. Punching them out made the world of difference.)

Also, there's no way I could have jumped during the first 20 or so hours of my new boots--but then, mine are the super-deluxe (read-- concrete) model, and I had new, different blades as well. Just take it easy, stroke, and work on breaking them in in the proper areas before you go smashing your feet around against rock-hard leather. You've got to spend time (and sweat) in them before they'll soften up a bit.

Bunga pads or other gel pads are a lifesaver, as well.

twinkle
08-13-2002, 06:28 AM
I actually had the ankles punched out when I bought them, there was no way I could have skated in them otherwise, they were killing me just sitting in them.

I also had new blades, Aces the same as the old ones. They were worn right down, and I had to go down from 9 3/4" to 9 1/4" because of the difference in size of boots.

It took me about half an hour to feel secure doing steps and field moves, so in the last half hour I did a couple of spins and ran through the single jumps.

I did leave the top hook undone, I never used the top hook in my old boots so I'll have to see what they feel like after a while.

I'm skating again tonight so I'll take lots of plasters and try to skate for as long as possible.

lisabelle
08-13-2002, 08:37 AM
back crossovers and sit spins are the best way to get good knee bend in the boots then, if you are comfortable doing jumps and spins on the boots now. what sp teri model do you have?

you sound just like me, i had the same problem, my boots were 2 sizes too big and i was constantly retying them so that they felt tight enough, but they were no wheres near enough support no matter what i did. i got a new pair of sp teris and new blades and it's made such a big difference for me.

garyc254
08-13-2002, 08:39 AM
My SP Teri's were rock hard when I got them last September. They're still very stiff, but better than when new.

I had them punched out before I left the shop as, like you, they hurt sitting with them on.

I also left the top hooks undone for about three months.

Initially, the leather around the top of the boot cut and bruised both of my ankles leaving open sores and/or scabs. I used a leather cutting tool and trimmed the sharp edge, worked leather softener into the open edge, and bought Bunga sleeves to protect the ankle. I still have to wear the Bunga sleeves or pay the consequences.

I keep some adhesive knit pads in my bag as it seems that every time I learn something new I get blisters in a new place. I have a few places that I must put the knit on every time I skate.

I'm not sure how other boots are, but after almost a year I don't consider my SP Teri's broken in yet.

I wouldn't trade them for anything though. They're like old friends now: A little abrasive at times, but we know each other well. :)

jenlyon60
08-13-2002, 09:01 AM
That's the one thing I like about my Klingbeils. Nice smooth top edge--I've never needed to resort to the bunga pads or similar.

I went cold turkey on them in early February and within 2 weeks, they were comfortable.

I also had my boots cut lower (3 eyelets high) front and deeper than that in back. This was to aid in toe-pointing. If anyone has seen the Harlicks with the dance backstay... my Klingbeils are cut like that, but without the soft stuff to fill in. My next pair I'll probably cut even lower in back.

My coach has his boots cut way low all the way around and I've seen him do Tango Romantica and other senior international CDs at full speed in them. They're about the height of a slightly over-height high-top sneaker.

--jsl

Mazurka Girl
08-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Wear them at home with wet socks. But make sure afterwards they have aired out & dried out completely before putting them back in your bag.

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Mazurka Girl
Wear them at home with wet socks. But make sure afterwards they have aired out & dried out completely before putting them back in your bag.
If you don't quite dare do that, wear them at home, anyway (with blade guards on, of course). Doing the ironing while wearing them is an excellent way to break them in. (Or so my husband found; I don't do ironing, and my skates were bedroom slippers from the first day I had them and needed no break-in period).

Mazurka Girl
08-13-2002, 02:16 PM
:D LOL. Wet socks, ironing, what a picture! squish squish Can we add while you're watching soap operas, lol? All that together has to help. Anyway just to clarify, not sopping wet socks, but wet socks like you pull out of the washer when the load is done. It helps mold the boots to the shape of your feet. :D

garyc254
08-13-2002, 03:41 PM
How to 'Hot Sock' your new skates in order to mold your new boots to your feet.

Here's How:
1. Get a pair of socks as thin as the skating tights that you wear when you skate.
2. Soak the socks in HOT water. Make sure that the socks are completely saturated.
3. Put the socks on, immediately followed by your skates.
4. Put your guards on and walk around your house for about 30-45 minutes.
Tips:
1. When your feet get tingly, take a break while continuing to wear your skates.
2. For optimal results, do this three days a week for two to three weeks of wearing your new skates.

How to Break in New Skates

Here's How:
1. Put on your boots on and lace them leaving the top two hooks unused.
2. Skate in your boots in this manner for approximately 30 to 60 minutes the first day.
3. The next day or time you skate, increase the time by 30 to 60 minutes.
4. Continue to skate each time and/or day with the top two hooks unused until you've accumulated a total of four to six hours.
5. Now lace your boots leaving only the top hook unused. Continue to skate as above for another four to six hours following the same procedures.
6. After following the steps above, lace them all the way to the top and begin your regular skating routine.
7. Next, lace your boots leaving only the top hook unused. Continue skating as above for another four to six hours following the same precautions as above.
Tips:
1. Obviously you cannot break in your boots in one hour, or even one day. Be patient.
2. While breaking in your boots, do not do any jumps, spins, or other moves that will cause you to do deep knee bending.
3. Take the time to follow the correct break-in procedures and you will have better performance and fit from your new boots.

tidesong
08-17-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by garyc254

Tips:
1. Obviously you cannot break in your boots in one hour, or even one day. Be patient.
2. While breaking in your boots, do not do any jumps, spins, or other moves that will cause you to do deep knee bending.
3. Take the time to follow the correct break-in procedures and you will have better performance and fit from your new boots.

Erm I did all my single jumps and spins the first day I wore my boots on ice... I did wear them at home for about 2 hours before though... And the next few days I started axels and doubles... I don't quite understand point no2 and when does the breaking in your boot period end? :)

lisabelle
08-17-2002, 08:32 AM
wearing them at home is good but it's best to do it while sitting down, or standing still at least. walking bends the ankle at different places than stroking and skating so.

Elsy2
08-17-2002, 08:58 AM
Tidesong,
The Harlick site has tips on breaking in boots, and they sound like those posted by Gary. They say to not jump, spin, or do other moves requiring deep knee bending for the first 4-6 hours of accumulated skating.....Although I'm sure this is very good advice, young competitive skaters often don't have the time to do this, and I see lots of young skaters with new boots doing all their elements right away. Of course if you are a competitive skater, you've probably put in 4-6 hours of skating by day two!

tidesong
08-18-2002, 06:16 AM
Ok, thanks. Yup I did have 4 hours by day 2 so i don't have to worry about treating my boots too badly :p