View Full Version : How long did it take you to land your axel?

figure_skater
04-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Im wondering this because im starting to work on axels and i wanted to know how long it takes other people.

iskatealot
04-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Im wondering. DO you want to know how long it took for us to land it the first time or to land it consistently, because you will find a large time period between the two... I landed my for the first time 4 months ago and I still dont have it consistent.

MannyisHOT
04-17-2005, 04:38 PM
I landed mine the first times i tried it and now i land one every once and a while...

pennybeagle
04-18-2005, 06:49 PM
It took me nearly two years and TONS of bruises. Of course, I didn't start working on it until I was 27 (and that's still an infant in the adult world). Other skaters I know personally have been working on it for over five years with no success yet.
Among younger skaters, I've seen anywhere from two weeks (lucky things!) to several years.

coskater64
04-18-2005, 07:05 PM
I got a small one @ 6 months but it wasn't consistent, it got better around 9 months but after 3 years I will still lose it for a day or two every now and again. As a child it took me about 3 months to get it, but I was very compact back then, unlike now.

la :lol:

Justine_R
04-20-2005, 09:11 AM
I got mine in about 1 month but its not always consistent.

Isk8NYC
04-20-2005, 10:32 AM
It took me six months at 25 years of age!

Now the followup question: how many skaters can still do their axel. I still had mine for about 2 years after I stopped skating. It's pretty much hopeless now.

sk8er chick
04-20-2005, 08:24 PM
it took me about 1 -3 months but that is the amount of time id spent working on it. it took me a while to land consistently b/c i broke my leg shortly after getting it and then had to relearn it again but the second time it took me less then a month to land it and it took about a month to get it consistent. and now its being over rotated all the time.

PattyP
04-21-2005, 10:00 AM
It was about 6 months before I could land a cheated axel. It took years to clean it up and 4 years later they still are not consistantly landed or clean. :roll: I started skating at 34, landed my first axel at 36 and I'm now 41.

Figureskates
04-21-2005, 12:39 PM
At 59, it will be a cold day in hell........

florence
04-21-2005, 01:27 PM
I think it took me about 3 month to land it, and then over 2 years for having it clean without the little turning at the end of the jump (how do you call that in english?! ;) ) but I only was about 8 years old...now I have stopped skating for about 3 years , but when I go to the rink I still can do a simple axel..withouth thinking about it ..it's very strange ..it's like if it is something that my body do automatically :roll:

cutiesk8r43
04-21-2005, 08:13 PM
I landed my first axel about two months ago, That doesn't really matter anymore! now what matters is if I can get to come back! :frus:
Sorry I'm not boosting your confidence ;) but thats life :roll:
~cutie ;)

starskate6.0
04-21-2005, 09:26 PM
It took over a year to learn how to do the axel on the ice. :roll:
Then ten more years to realize Ive been doing it wrong. :lol:
I am in the process of learning the dang thing all over again. For six months all I did was waltz jumps. Then I tried the axel again. The result was less than stellar. Here we are years later and I still have some bad habits to break. :roll: I land it most times. ( except at Nationals ) :lol:
and it is getting higher and straiter, but as my jump coach tells me, my whole concept of the jump has to change if I ever want a double. May-be 2008.. ;) :lol: :lol: Of all the jumps i try this is the most difficult, :??

" The greatest risk in life is not taking one. "