View Full Version : Comparing skate sizes for different brands

angelskates
04-17-2005, 04:46 AM
My friend recently tried on my old skates, Graf Edmontons. They fit her perfectly. Unfortunately she can't wear them since they don't have blades anymore and are covered with signatures from Cup of China and the GPF :) So, actually I wont LET her wear them!

Her question is, are the sizes of different skate brands comparable? For example, my Grafs are size 7 - what would that be in Harlick? I have custom Klingbeils now, so I have no idea what size they are.

My friend is interested in buying skates from Ebay but only know Graf sizing.

Debbie S
04-17-2005, 12:22 PM
It's really hard to say. Each skate varies a bit. Generally, you wear 1 1/2 sizes smaller in skate size than your shoe size, but that's not always the case. Riedells, for example, are made a bit big and I needed a skate 2 sizes smaller than my shoe size. Your friend should really get fitted by an actual person before buying skates from afar. Also, skate fit depends on foot shape, so just because a skate is her size doesn't mean that it's right for her feet. Different brands of skates are designed differently.

aussieskater
04-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Your friend should really get fitted by an actual person before buying skates from afar.
I don't know whether it's possible/ethical etc, but could your friend maybe get to a skate shop and try the different brands/styles on and take note of the sizes? Maybe that might help?

Also, on a more general note and a little off-topic (but only a little...) - when buying secondhand skates remotely, how do you find out how far they've broken down etc?

angelskates
04-18-2005, 02:56 AM
It is impossible for her to try on different brands as we are in China and the option is not available (they stock only Chinese brands and limited brands in kids sizes). Professional fitting doesn't help either as they only fit for the skate one wants to buy!

Aussieskates - photos and questions is the only way.

aussieskater
04-18-2005, 06:53 PM
It is impossible for her to try on different brands as we are in China and the option is not available (they stock only Chinese brands and limited brands in kids sizes). Professional fitting doesn't help either as they only fit for the skate one wants to buy!
I do apologise - I did not realise where you were!

angelskates
04-18-2005, 07:47 PM
No need to apologise - sometimes I don't realise where I am!! I am Australian, but I live in Beijing. I have had no trouble getting skates fitted long distance - I got my grafs in Australia sent from overseas and perfect fit, and then my Klingbeils while I've been here, also perfect fit. The problem is my friend doesn't want to buy NEW skates so thus can't go to a fitter.