View Full Version : Competitive elements- bronze/pre-bronze

Scarlett
04-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Can anyone tell me what elements you need to be competitive in pre-bronze and bronze? I am not there yet but I am curious to see what I have to look forward to?

TIA

Debbie S
04-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Generally in Bronze, most ladies have all their singles through lutz, which is usually in combo with a toe loop or loop (the top Bronze skaters do a lutz-loop). You also see flip-loop combos - usually some sort of combo with a loop as the second jump. I've also seen 3-jump combos with at least one loop involved. As for spins, I've seen sit-back sit, camel-sit, camel-sit-back sit, camel-sit-attitude, etc. You're expected to do at least 3 revs total, and 3 on each foot (if it's a change-foot spin). I've seen a few laybacks, but not many. Scratch spins are usually fast with arms over the head and at least 5 revs or more. You're required to do a footwork sequence that covers at least 1/2 the length of the ice and a spiral sequence, too. Bronze skaters have really good speed and flow and ice coverage - the judges really look for that and that can make a big difference in placement.

Pre-Bronze elements can vary widely. I know that doesn't tell you much, but I've been in 3 Pre-Bronze comps and there were big differences in what skaters were doing, and what judges rewarded. Hopefully, the proposed standards for Pre-Bronze (assuming they pass at USFSA GC) will make judging more straightforward. Typically, the hardest jump you see is a loop, either solo or in combo with a toe loop. At the Halloween Classic last year, the winner of Pre-Bronze attempted a flip but 2-footed it. You see a lot of sal-toes, waltz-toes, occasionally a waltz-half loop-sal. Half flips and half lutzes too, usually in combo or sequence with other jumps. Usually the skaters do forward sit and scratch spins, sometimes back scratch spins (Terri C's is awesome!), and sometimes camels. Some do a footwork sequence and some don't. Most do a spiral in at least one position. Like the other levels, the judges reward good speed and flow, and jumps that get height and good flow coming out.

The frustrating thing for me about competing in Pre-Bronze is that you never know what to expect - the field could be mostly beginners, or the skaters could be much more advanced, possible being held back by moves (just a guess on my part). I've also seen skaters that I bet (and I have no proof of this so take this with a grain of salt) are relatively advanced in ice dance but not so much in their FS elements, and their basic skating is so strong, with elements such as spread eagles, ina bauers, and fast footwork and overall skating. These skaters usually place higher than skaters who try the harder jumps and spins. I competed in a Bronze comp last summer (and ended up in the cellar, of course) but it was easy to understand why each skater placed where they did, and all of the skaters had a similar approach to their programs and were close in skill level (well, other than me, that is).

slusher
04-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I've also seen skaters that I bet (and I have no proof of this so take this with a grain of salt) are relatively advanced in ice dance but not so much in their FS elements, and their basic skating is so strong, with elements such as spread eagles, ina bauers, and fast footwork and overall skating. These skaters usually place higher than skaters who try the harder jumps and spins. I competed in a Bronze comp last summer (and ended up in the cellar, of course) but it was easy to understand why each skater placed where they did, and all of the skaters had a similar approach to their programs and were close in skill level (well, other than me, that is).

I skate in Canada so the levels are different, but I have been told that even with having only two jumps, (toe loop, salchow) that I would place very well in competition because of my ice dance level (sr bronze, which includes the European) . I started into dance first (having no background in dance or skating) and just last year tried freeskate, which is why I have only two jumps. However, I can do 3 turns, mohawks, ina bauers, spread eagles, etc, and skate quite fast with good knees, that whole flow thing. Apparently the basic skating skills carry more weight than many tricks done, which makes me feel better about not being much of a jumper, however, I get these looks from other skaters when I go out for practice, I know I skate like a higher level skater but I jump like my grandma.

Scarlett
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Wow! Thanks...it looks like I have an awful lot of work to do before I can even compete in pre-bronze. Maybe in 2 years or so I'll see some of you guys in competition.