View Full Version : Axel Trouble!!!!!

cutiesk8r43
04-15-2005, 02:22 PM
I need some help on my axel.I landed it a couple of months ago, but lost it. it won't stick :cry: I haven't been able to land it (without a harness)since.How do you get the feel of landing it and making sure it stays?I have a competition next month and I need to land it by then.
~cutie ;)

iskatealot
04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Good Question......I have the same problem......If any one would like to share their advice......??

sk8rgurl0507
04-17-2005, 08:28 AM
i also have trouble with my axel i have the rotation i just cant land it on 1 foot my coach gets really mad because i used to have it and now it is gone

~makellan~

jp1andOnly
04-17-2005, 09:18 AM
My one coach has said, for those of you two footing, to pretend you only have one foot and you MUST land on that foot or else you will topple over. She has also had me try to think about putting a loop at the end of the jump. I try and concentrate on that.

Working on backspins and getting the kick out feeling is also helpful

cutiesk8r43
04-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your help! I'll try to think about putting a loop after it .It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem :)
~cutie ;)

LilMissPurrrfec
04-17-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm preparing to start my axel, but I can't get the rotations off ice.

I can get 1 1/4 if I'm lucky and i don't know what I'm doing wrong - I'm bringing my arms in fast, bending my knees and trying to cross them over etc. but I either still only get just over 1, or fall flat on my face! :giveup:

Any suggestions?

*JennaD*
04-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I have the same problem! I can almost land it off ice, but when I get onto the ice I go all over the place (my leg doesn't stay in place! lol) !!

jp1andOnly
04-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Try jumping onto a bench. You jump onto the bench using your takeoff leg. Don't do the rotation though..just jump stright up onto it. Make sure you have something soft around the bench because its hard and you often fall. An axel should have a lift take off, not rotation and thats the mistake most people make. Doing exercises jumping on the bench makes your take off leg stronger and you get that spring feeling.

You might also want to take a few steps before you jump onto the bench as its harder than it looks

I can get 1 1/4 if I'm lucky and i don't know what I'm doing wrong - I'm bringing my arms in fast, bending my knees and trying to cross them over etc. but I either still only get just over 1, or fall flat on my face! :giveup:

Any suggestions?

samba
04-17-2005, 01:54 PM
If you are young, the fact that you are growing and changing shape can affect your axle, as a parent I have seen my son completely loose his axle for some months while he was having a growing spell and I have since noticed many young people going through the same thing especially girls. Dont despair you will literally grow out of it as my son did:lol: Unfortunately its not that easy for the rest of us.

iskatealot
04-17-2005, 04:33 PM
If you are having trouble getting off the ice but you are pulling your arms in fast Im going to guess that you are trying to spin the jump. (I used to do this) You need 2 lift your leg into the air bringing your arms with it BEFORE you start to spin.....otherwise you get no height and its nearly impossible to land or even get the entire rotation.

coskater64
04-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Try waltz jump hop axel, you have to do it very neatly w/ medium speed it helps pull the arms back, leg back up and out. Also, off ice, done from a stand still w/ full rotation keeping arms and legs in sync. Helps me... :lol:

Isk8NYC
04-18-2005, 03:25 PM
It seems to me, from my own experience at 25 and those of friends, that adults tend to start landing this jump, then they "lose" it for a short time. When it returns, it's pretty solid.

Be patient, get plenty of rest, and keep skating. Take a break from practicing it during 1 or 2 sessions. Or only try it a handful of times. I'm sure it will come back for you in a short time.

cutiesk8r43
04-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Try waltz jump hop axel, you have to do it very neatly w/ medium speed it helps pull the arms back, leg back up and out. Also, off ice, done from a stand still w/ full rotation keeping arms and legs in sync. Helps me... :lol:

thanks for the tip on "waltz jump hop axel" . It sounds helpful! :)

~cutie ;)

sk8rgurl0507
04-19-2005, 08:03 AM
I got my axel off ice by training with my coach u should try to set up a time for like 10 minuets after each lesson off ice just to practice that and if u cant get that just keep moving up from half turns (off ice) to doubles. Maybe u dont have the strenght in ur legs so like strech out and run alot. U probably think how would i know i am also having trouble with my axel but thats how my coach tought me!!!!!!!!:)

ttyl
~makellan~

doubletoe
04-19-2005, 06:59 PM

Any suggestions?

Don't try to cross your legs in the air. That does not create rotation, it just crosses your legs. What creates rotation is turning your right hip in once you get up in the air. Turn your right hip in quickly to the left, then pull yourself backwards with your right hip and straighten your right leg while lifting your left knee a little. If you are using your right hip to create rotation, then your left leg will automatically cross in front of your right leg as you turn into it. It's just like a backspin that way. Here's the order in which everything should happen:
1. Take off straight out and straight up. Don't try to turn at all. Bend your right knee as you jump up so that you are lifted straight up.
2. Once you're up in the air, quickly turn your right hip in and straighten your right leg, then lift your left knee a little. This technique and timing is where that bench exercise will help you a lot!
3. After you turn your right hip, pull your arms in.
4. Pull straiht up in the air and check out for the landing.

jp1andOnly
04-19-2005, 10:18 PM
My coach used something kinda neat last night that actually worked.

I have a tendancy to try to rotate before I jump so I dont get the height. She said to pretend you are trying to be sucked up a straw. Basically, you have to jump stright up and be in a tight position (no butts sticking out). For some reason it clicked with me.

doubletoe
04-20-2005, 02:12 PM
My coach used something kinda neat last night that actually worked.

I have a tendancy to try to rotate before I jump so I dont get the height. She said to pretend you are trying to be sucked up a straw. Basically, you have to jump stright up and be in a tight position (no butts sticking out). For some reason it clicked with me.

That's brilliant! It not only gets you to jump straight up, but it also gets you to pull up in the air and keep your back straight. Awesome!