View Full Version : Counter Turns - Any Tips?

luna_skater
04-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Backwards counters are the bane of my existence right now. Back right inside is decent. Back left inside is inconsistent. Back outside turns are brutal. My problem is that just before I go to do the turn, I switch to a major inside edge and just end up doing a back three. I know what I'm supposed to do...press into the outside edge, rise up at the same time that I reverse my shoulders. The reverse of the shoulders should create the turn. But I can't seem to get the timing right. Any tips?

flo
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi,
I really like the counters and had a sequence of them in last year's program. I found that the best way to really practice them and get the feeling of the correct edge to edge is to do them in sequence one right after the other. I did them the full length of the rink - starting with right forward outside, go through them and then change to the left foot.
Good luck!

dbny
04-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Try two-footing them to get comfortable with the shoulder movement.

luna_skater
04-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Done that. :) It's mostly mental...i don't fall very often, but I have wiped out on BO counters a few times. So I have it in my head that I'm going to fall no matter what I do!