View Full Version : I am freaking out, HELP!

dani
08-12-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone! I am skating my first real meet in 2.5 weeks. My jumps are worse over the last week and I am starting to freak out a little! (ok, a lot) This showed up during my lesson last Friday.

Basically I am having a crisis of confidence. Does anyone have any suggestions or anecdotes to share with me? I could sure use some help!

Hugs!
Danielle

jenlyon60
08-12-2002, 12:38 PM
Relax... Things like to go to Hades in a handbasket a week or so before competition. The more you stress, the worse it will get.

For Pro-Am, I kept myself so busy with other stuff the days of the competition that I didn't have time to worry about the skating. I was too worried about the hospitality (I was working coaches/judges hospitality for the competition..)

--jsl

TashaKat
08-12-2002, 12:48 PM
((((Dani))))

Ok .... look at it this way ....... better to freak out NOW and get it pretty much out of your system! ;) It also is 'teaching' you how to skate when you're feeling at your worst, my coach has a 'thing' that when you're feeling/skating really crappy is one of the times when you learn the most! It never quite made sense to me but I can KIND OF see where she's coming from ..... if you can still stay upright when you're feeling like that then, hey, what's the big deal? Almost everyone I know goes to pieces when their coach tells them during their lesson that their test is in a month's time!!! Suddenly you can't skate anymore :oops:

It's GOOD to have a crisis of confidence (eh??), it means that you CARE about what you're doing, if you were super confident you would never improve because you wouldn't think that you needed to improve! (Does this all make sense? It's not coming out quite how I really mean it).

MY FIRST TEST

Novice Free - a 1.5 minute programme to a waltz including turns, backward skating, cross rolls, forward and back spirals (and this was the first 'real' test in the test structure!!!!!).

I got there at 6.30am, tests were due to start at 7am, Novice usually goes on first, Lynne HATES sitting around waiting, Lynne likes to go on first and get it over and done with! They decided to do the higher level tests first and work backwards!!! All these (to me then) GOOD skaters were going out and failing!!! 8O I was cold, my feet were numb, I was bored. My coach decided that I should warm up (a break from my normal routine) so we went outside to do some exercises ....... :? At 9.30am my group was called to start the test .... by this point I'd had enough!

Oh, oh, forgot a bit ........ BACKGROUND - I used to skate at another rink when I first started and was a member of their Figure Club which was run by one of the judges and a test coordinator, I wasn't really aware of this and just knew them by their names, they were nice ladies, very supportive, end of story. ANYWAY - I walk in for my test surrounded by kids who didn't even reach my shoulders to find some of the mothers have a good *****! "Who is this LYNNE anyway?" "Does she know the judges or something" ..... you get the drift! On the test schedule everyone was down by their first and last names EXCEPT ME, I was down as 'Lynne'. It was at this point that the judges walked in and said "hi Lynne". :lol: You can imagine!!!

Anyway ..... I was probably old enough to be the kids in my groups GRANDMOTHER never mind mother (well, not quite ;) ) and when I got on (my first time alone on the ice) I was cold, couldn't feel my feet and my coach said "don't worry, you'll start to shake, it's normal" ...... with this thought implanted firmly in my brain I started to shake and couldn't stop! My normally good spirals were distinctly average, coming into a RFI open mohawk right in front of the judges from a circle of forwards crossovers I realised that I was going too fast (the adrenaline) and the mohawk was WELL scratchy, the only thing that went well (in my opinion) were my back cross rolls and that was only because I'd totally spaced out by that point!

I PASSED but wasn't happy with my pass, I skated (in my mind) appallingly AND, my beloved Dance coach pointed out to me a year later, was as white as a ghost DESPITE the makeup!!

I have another 'horror' story if you're interested but I'll have to pm it to you!

What I learned from that is that I survived! Under extreme duress I got through it. At my next outing (competition) I felt fine and couldn't wait to get on the ice to 'show off' ;) I've done tests and competitions since, one test was appalling (but not totally my fault) but 2 tests that I took last year were BRILLIANT (I'm not talking about my skating, just the experience). I did a Bronze compulsories test and a Prelim Free test (UK system). I didn't feel nervous, I grinned all the way through them and thoroughly enjoyed the experience! I even stood on my own blade in the 14 step (I'd had a very nasty accident doing the same thing a few months prior to the test on the same step of the same dance) BUT it didn't throw me off at all, I just got back into the swing of it ...... oh, and passed them both :D Mind you, the judge did say "erm, and what was that?" LOL.

ANWAY ....... now I've bored you to sleep ......... GOOD LUCK, CALMING VIBES winging their way across to you and if you can't enjoy the experience at least appreciate it ;)

L xxx

garyc254
08-12-2002, 01:18 PM
"Never, ever take anything for granted. Especially don't take risks for granted. Risks - sensible, calculated, prudent, rational risks - are the obstacles that make reaching the destination worthwhile. Without them there would be no struggle and no satisfaction. Risks give life its zip."

-- Peter Vidmar
1984 Olympic gymnastics gold medalist

AxelAnnie22
08-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Hi Dani

I don't skate competitively, but I do ride competitively. Go back and watch Tara's interview after the '98 LP, and then watch her skate. In the interview she says " I just told myself that I am not going to step off this ice disappointed. I am going to fight everything out"

And, she did! I keep that saying as a mantra as I ride into the ring. It has helped me more than anything else.

melanieuk
08-12-2002, 01:39 PM
I'd say it was normal and not to worry too much about it.
Nervousness is fine - it's the adrenaline pumping!
The worry and fear will pass - even if it waits till you are on the ice performing!
Just think positively.
You know you can do it.
:lol:

dani
08-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by melanieuk
I'd say it was normal and not to worry too much about it.
Nervousness is fine - it's the adrenaline pumping!
The worry and fear will pass - even if it waits till you are on the ice performing!
Just think positively.
You know you can do it.
:lol:

Thanks!! On Friday, my coach was explaining that it is normal to be nervous, but it is not normal to let it keep me from "doing it". That is the first time I have just been completely freaked out during a lesson. I think part of it is that I am not confident that I can do this everytime even when nervous. We just finalized my program last Friday and I skate in 2.5 weeks!! :-(

At least I am being "pushed" ;-)

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2002, 09:07 AM
Yes, nerves are normal. It's perfectly normal to wonder why on earth you thought this was a good idea - I invariably do! But the competitions themselves are always such fun that the few minutes you spend on the ice quite pale by comparison. All those people to watch, friends to make, who has got better since last time, who isn't skating up to his or her potential, what sort of artistic programme has X got this year, has Y mastered the lutz jump yet..... and so on.

It's quite normal to skate badly the first few times you are out there. It doesn't always happen, mind; I know a couple of people who've gone out there and won. But don't expect that. Plan on coming in last - so what? Being out there and doing it is what matters. I often come off the ice thinking, "Oh bother, can I do that again, please?", but whatever you do, don't show what you are thinking until after the marks have been announced! Terrific grins are the idea - pretend that you thought you skated marvellously, and, who knows, the judges might even agree with you! And so what if they don't!

If you find you really hate the day, and are utterly miserable, you need never do it again. But I shouldn't wonder if you didn't fall as much in love with that particular aspect of the sport - alas, by far the most expensive - as I have! Let us know.

backspin
08-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Yes, the pre-comp or pre-test nerves are very normal & it's good for you to learn to deal with them. My last comp., I stepped on the ice for the warmup & my legs were shaking so hard I couldn't skate. Literally. I didn't get through one clean element in the warmup--not even a waltz jump. My coach was beside herself.

Then I went out, skated a great program, & won my group! So work through it, tell yourself you'll be fine and you will. The best advice I ever got regarding performance nerves came from a dance coach: he said, "This isn't about going out and being perfect, this is about going out and showing everybody how much you love to dance." It works! That's now my mantra.

One other funny story, from the "if you compete long enough anything and everything will happen to you" category: at a comp years ago, my ballroom coach & his partner were out on the floor in the middle of their dance....she did this drop-down thing to the floor in front of him, & coming up got her hair caught in the buttons of his vest--and I mean caught! They couldn't get her free & had to leave the dance floor, w/ her bent over & her head stuck to his belly! :lol:

jasmine
08-13-2002, 10:20 AM
I seem to remember that you used to compete and test as a roller skater? However, here are a few things I have picked up ....

1. Do some planning. About a week before the competition, have an extra lesson which is just dedicated to the "wrapper" around your actual competition program. This will include: an off-ice warm-up routine and timetable, what you are going to wear, an on-ice warm-up (you get from 1 to 3 minutes, so find out how long and plan what you will do during the time), how you go onto the ice (quite important to look good from the moment you step on the ice and find your start position), think about where the judges will be and do your program oriented towards them, how you curtsy and leave the ice. If you are going to a different rink, work out your route, timing, and what time you should arrive. Clean your boots. Make a checklist of things you need. Take two copies of your music, preferably recorded on different equipment. People do notice what clothes you wear off-ice, but clean sportwear is OK.

2. Two days before the competition, up your intake of carbohydrate - that's pasta, potatoes or rice (preferably wholegrain/with skin on etc) or bread if it doesn't slow you down (it does slow me down!!).

3. Day before competition, don't skate. Do some other exercise if you want to, but don't overdo it. You might want to spend 5 minutes (but not much longer) mentally going through your routine.

4. On day of competition, check in to desk, half hour ahead, do warm-up, change into competition dress, then DON'T SIT DOWN. Just stand confidently by barrier and wriggle your toes to keep legs warm.

5. If you fall over, or fluff a jump, just leave it behind and forget about it. The most important thing is to pick yourself up quickly and keep going. You only lose at most .1 or .2 of a mark for falling over.

6. Remember, ENJOY IT! Head up, smile and enjoy it. And your audience will too.

Good luck

dbny
08-13-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by dani
Basically I am having a crisis of confidence

I have never competed or tested on ice, but I have crises of confidence all the time. I just bought a tiny MP3 player so I can skate to music all the time and I'm hoping this will help. Of course, you will be skating to your program music, so this really isn't to the point for your current problem.

You could try what works for my daughter, who always skates her best when competing or testing. She loves being alone on the ice because she knows there will be no interruptions, interference, or risk of collisions. Maybe if you focus on that aspect of competition, it will seem like a perk instead of a trial.

garyc254
08-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Kites rise highest against the wind -- not with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

jasmine
08-13-2002, 04:51 PM
The other thing that may help you, as you have limited ice time before the competition, is that off-ice practice is very beneficial.

You can practice your jumps off-ice at home, and also go through your program unlimited number of times in the privacy of your living room, to make sure that you know exactly what you are doing at what part of the music. This will really help.