View Full Version : My First Show As A Coach

dbny
04-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I finally have a group skating in a show! They are six adorable eight and nine year old girls who are almost more enthusiastic than I can stand. We got our music three weeks ago - "Dancing On The Ceiling" by Lionel Richie. I really did not know it, and some of the girls didn't either, but I decided to charge right in and do a little choreography with them that first day. The following week, I listened to the tape a lot and revised the choreography. Those girls were so excited about the show, that they had used their practice time after the lesson to memorize what we had done, so I had to toss the revisions. I came in today feeling like I just did not know how to cope at all, but did come up with a few ideas. I asked the girls to make one change - not to spin all together, but to do it one at a time, and showed them the additional moves, and all of a sudden it just came together! We now have a real program that they can all do, and they all like it. The show is May 28th, so I have my work cut out for me to get it all in shape, but I'm really thrilled about it.

garyc254
04-12-2005, 11:56 AM
That's wonderful news!!

A lot of hard work, but when it comes together it's a beautiful thing and very exciting.

Good for you!!!

:D :D :D

twokidsskatemom
04-12-2005, 02:18 PM
You will have a great time !!That sounds like alot of fun !!

Isk8NYC
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
I usually buy some very cheap cassette tapes and make copies of the music for all the kids in my group. (It's a business expense, too.) The skaters can listen to the tape and "practice" at home. It's really handy if the music is unfamiliar.

Also, if you have them lined up at any point, write the order on the back of the attendance sheet or in a notebook. They won't remember who they were next to, and they'll drive you nuts rearranging themselves! LOL!

Good luck!

dbny
04-12-2005, 10:31 PM
I usually buy some very cheap cassette tapes and make copies of the music for all the kids in my group. (It's a business expense, too.) The skaters can listen to the tape and "practice" at home. It's really handy if the music is unfamiliar.

Also, if you have them lined up at any point, write the order on the back of the attendance sheet or in a notebook. They won't remember who they were next to, and they'll drive you nuts rearranging themselves! LOL!

Good luck!

I was thinking of doing that. Thanks for the encouragement to go ahead. I'm also going to give each of them a diagram with the moves on it.

BTW, my kids know their place in line better than I do! I placed them with the tallest in the middle and the two who spin CW on the ends, since it worked out well that way. They are so enthusiastic, and they remember almost every little thing. They are really a bunch of bright, and eager kids. I'm very lucky!

My biggest problem with them at this point is that there is one who always wants to be first, and I have to get them all to understand that when they skate as a group, there are times when no one can be first because they all have to be in line facing the audience. Next week I think I'll use a marker on the ice. Don't know how long it will last as we alternate practice with another group.