View Full Version : Cardio??

bladebabe69
04-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

Okay I currently have half of my Sr.silver freeskate, i have my elements and i can't seem to get my program. I find it very hard to make it through a 4 minute program without like falling over dieing. I was wondering if there is anything i can do to improve my Cardio, some way other than running?? My club doesn't have an off-ice program anymore because i was the only one that did it!! anyways please message me back with some ideas

thanks muchly
Caitlin

sk8er1964
04-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Although running the program is the best way to get the endurance you need, a good off-ice exercise is to do intervals. You do this by running (either on a treadmill, or on an eliptical, or on the ground - your preference) first slowly, then all out, then moderately, than all out, etc etc. in increments of, for example, 45 seconds moderate, 15 seconds all out. This is an attempt to simulate the bursts of energy you need to do the elemtns in your program. It's not the same as actually skating, but as a part of an all around off-ice regimine, I found it helped. Ask your coach for his/her advice on something like this before you try it.

Scarlett
04-11-2005, 06:35 AM
The only problem I don't have with my skating is my endurance. I am very active in other sports. If you hate to run, try jumping rope, biking, or going for brisk walks. I am an active swimmer but the jury is out on if swimming is a good activity for skaters. I would find an activity that you like to do and do it in addition to skating. Good luck!

jazzpants
04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Have you consider the elliptical trainer? Much, MUCH easier on the joints and WILL give you a good cardio workout depending on the intensity and the angle of the trainer.

Another idea... take up power class or add a power stroking session where all you do is just skate as fast as you could... build up your endurance over time.

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2005, 11:50 AM
I recommend the exercises in this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/157028220X/qid=1113238180/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9814498-5511963?v=glance&s=books), some of which are serious killers! Despite the title, on-ice conditioning exercises are also included.