View Full Version : Jelly Legs!!!

NickiT
04-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Does anyone know how to make the best use of the short warm-up time we get before competing? I do find just 2.5 minutes too short a time and I just don't lose my pre-comp jelly legs in that time. I'm used to skating a bit before jumping but obviously in competition warm-ups I have to start jumping after just one lap of stroking. Does anyone else get shaky legs and if so, how do you deal with it so that you are relatively shake-free for your competition?

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh dreadful jelly-legs. My coach tells me to be absolutely sure I'm adequately warmed-up off the ice (don't forget, Streatham is relatively cold, compared to Bracknell - make sure you have a really warm warm-up top), and then, once on the ice, skate round hard for a lap or two (forwards or backwards, whichever you find easier), then run through your programme, or at least the elements in the correct order. You should just have time to do that, and then time to repeat any element which you are unsure of, before "time" is called.

If you're skating first, you'll probably want to stop about 30 seconds before the end of the warm-up to have a moment to come to the boards, take your jacket off, get a quick drink of water (no, there isn't time to pee, which is what I always want to do at that stage, which announcement is usually greeted with a chorus of, "No you don't!") & (if an artistic programme) organise any props or last minute additions/adjustments to the costume you need. Otherwise, stay on until you are asked to clear the ice, and, while the other skaters are performing, keep moving. You needn't jump about like a demented hen, just keep shaking out your legs and arms, and ensuring your shoulders are loose.

If you have serious butterflies, focus on your breathing, taking it right down into your belly (count 4 on the inhale, hold for 4, and exhale for 8), and perhaps some kind of visualisation - breathing out all the fear & nerves, breathing in confidence and knowing you look great. Sounds weird, but it works for me!

And don't forget Rescue Remedy, which is a great help - it's a combination of several of the Bach Flower remedies, and you spray it (or drip it, depending on which bottle you have) under your tongue.... great for competition nerves!

phoenix
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
And don't forget Rescue Remedy, which is a great help - it's a combination of several of the Bach Flower remedies, and you spray it (or drip it, depending on which bottle you have) under your tongue.... great for competition nerves!

What's this? Some secret elixir I haven't heard of?? Please expound!! I get very nervous for testing! Is this something easily found in stores or can I order it online? What exactly does it do?

NickiT
04-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Oh dreadful jelly-legs. My coach tells me to be absolutely sure I'm adequately warmed-up off the ice (don't forget, Streatham is relatively cold, compared to Bracknell - make sure you have a really warm warm-up top), and then, once on the ice, skate round hard for a lap or two (forwards or backwards, whichever you find easier), then run through your programme, or at least the elements in the correct order. You should just have time to do that, and then time to repeat any element which you are unsure of, before "time" is called.

If you're skating first, you'll probably want to stop about 30 seconds before the end of the warm-up to have a moment to come to the boards, take your jacket off, get a quick drink of water (no, there isn't time to pee, which is what I always want to do at that stage, which announcement is usually greeted with a chorus of, "No you don't!") & (if an artistic programme) organise any props or last minute additions/adjustments to the costume you need. Otherwise, stay on until you are asked to clear the ice, and, while the other skaters are performing, keep moving. You needn't jump about like a demented hen, just keep shaking out your legs and arms, and ensuring your shoulders are loose.

If you have serious butterflies, focus on your breathing, taking it right down into your belly (count 4 on the inhale, hold for 4, and exhale for 8), and perhaps some kind of visualisation - breathing out all the fear & nerves, breathing in confidence and knowing you look great. Sounds weird, but it works for me!

Thanks Annabel. The Rescue Remedy is ready. I used this before the British! My biggest problem is that although I may well feel calm enough skating round, once I start jumping I feel very shaky, and nothing like how I usually feel. I know that given a little more time I'd feel more settled. I just hope I don't draw first since the thought of reducing a very short warm-up to even shorter still terrifies me!!

Nicki

TashaKat
04-06-2005, 11:04 AM
What's this? Some secret elixir I haven't heard of?? Please expound!! I get very nervous for testing! Is this something easily found in stores or can I order it online? What exactly does it do?

Hi

Rescue Remedy is a combination of 'Bach Flower' essences. The website is:

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue_remedy.htm

which will give you all of the info on it :D

You can purchase it through the website too.

Mrs Redboots
04-06-2005, 12:06 PM
What's this? Some secret elixir I haven't heard of?? Please expound!! I get very nervous for testing! Is this something easily found in stores or can I order it online? What exactly does it do?Tashakat's given you the url, but you can probably get it in your local chemist (pharmacy) if they sell alternative remedies. Or health food shop. Brilliant stuff for nerves & faintness & shock and just about anything else. A very good idea to have some if you've had a nasty fall on the ice, too.

Edited to add: Blimmin' 'eck, it's expensive in the USA!!!!

phoenix
04-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Okay, tell me more!

How long does it last? How quickly does it kick in? How does it work? (TashaKat, you're the medical person.....) Non-habit forming, right? Would this help when I go to the dentist?? Do your reflexes / mind stay sharp?

daisies
04-06-2005, 08:36 PM
If you're skating first, you'll probably want to stop about 30 seconds before the end of the warm-up to have a moment to come to the boards, take your jacket off, get a quick drink of water and organise any props or last minute additions/adjustments to the costume you need. Otherwise, stay on until you are asked to clear the ice, and, while the other skaters are performing, keep moving.Good advice, but just a reminder too that if you do skate first after the warmup, you have two minutes to take your position after they call your name. So if you need to skate the full warmup, use those two minutes to collect yourself. You do NOT have to go out the second your name is called, so don't think you're being rushed. Just don't push the two minutes, because after two minutes if you're not out there, you're DQ. And that would be bad. :)

And don't forget Rescue Remedy, which is a great help - it's a combination of several of the Bach Flower remedies, and you spray it (or drip it, depending on which bottle you have) under your tongue.... great for competition nerves!I've seen this stuff at Whole Foods and never knew what it was. I'd love to read other testimonials!

sk8er1964
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Warming up off ice is extremely important. I start about 1/2 hour before I want to put my skates on. I do jump rope to get the heart rate up a bit, and things like arm circles and torso twists. Then I do bounces (straight jumping up and down with soft knees), then single rotation jump exercises with check outs (basically you stand with your feet together, then jump up and rotate one revolution, checking out sharply and landing on your landing foot), then axels (skip this if you are not at axel level - you should still be able to do the check out exercise). Then I spend time stretching out all of my major muscle groups - legs, torso/back, arms. Then I put on my skates, keep my legs and arms moving to keep them warm, and go warm up.

I should be able to step out on the ice and start my warm up right with my hardest jump! (Though I don't.)

One thing about warm ups, though. Even with all that preparation, I sometimes have trouble in warm ups because I go out there like a bat out of he** and rush everything. Try to keep it controlled. My coach even recommends visualizing the warm up being calm and controlled, and also visualizing how I will overcome falls and warm up problems, which I will be trying between now and my AN events next week. Having a warm up plan should help those jittery unfocused feelings (at least I hope so ;) ).

After your on ice warm up, if you aren't first, make sure you keep your muscles warm by moving slowly and calmly while you go through your pre-competition mental exercises (whether that be chatting with someone or meditating). I liken this part to standing and swaying with a baby to calm it - just move your arms a bit too since you won't drop anyone! :lol:

Good luck! Let us know if the jelly legs go away! :D

mskater
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
IMO, if you drink more than say 3 or 4 'drinks' a week, Rescue Remedy will do nothing for your nerves. I think it's got some alcohol in it and that's the "secret" ingredient. I say save your money and have a swig of beer before you go out for warm-up ;)

mdvask8r
04-07-2005, 04:56 AM
. . . you have two minutes to take your position after they call your name. So if you need to skate the full warmup, use those two minutes to collect yourself . . .

Don't get too attached to this extra two minutes. I see one of the requests going before the GC is to reduce this allowance to one minute. Still plenty of time though to settle yourself down a bit before taking your opening pose.

NoVa Sk8r
04-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Don't get too attached to this extra two minutes. I see one of the requests going before the GC is to reduce this allowance to one minute. Still plenty of time though to settle yourself down a bit before taking your opening pose.WHAT??!! I need those 2 minutes to settle down and to set the full dramatic tone. :P

daisies
04-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I see one of the requests going before the GC is to reduce this allowance to one minute.And I really hope it doesn't pass, because the intent of the original rule was to allow skaters whose laces break or whose music is faulty to get a replacement. Yeah, so some people are abusing the 2 minutes. Most skaters don't, and I think by changing the rule it will penalize those skaters who really need the time for unexpected emergencies.

But that's a whole other subject! :)

vintagefreak
04-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Yuck, I know the feeling. My coach says that the more you test and compete, the more comfy you'll be out there and less likely to get shaky. My shakiness comes and goes and I'm not sure why. I found that pretending practice sessions are actually test sessions or comps helps. Wear the dress you'll be wearing for the comp/test, get rid of the gloves and try to go to that place mentally you're in for that program. Avoid caffeine, drink lots of water and be sure you're warmed up beforehand. I found jumping rope helps, then easy stretching. During the on ice warmup, I try not to fret about the jumps or other elements that sometimes give me trouble. I tell myself that, hey-if I'm not ready now, I'll never be, so I just do crossovers forward and backward/both directions and really concentrate on doing them well and with power.

Also, I usually put my skates on well in advance so that they're warmed up. Sometimes I use the bathroom blowdryer, if its available. Cold feet are the worst and that little warmup time will not get the skates good and warm.

russiet
04-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Expresso.

What do you mean my message is too short? Why does it have to be at least 10 characters??

A one word response is sometimes all that is required.

Damn.