View Full Version : New Skates... what to seal the soles with?

crayonskater
04-05-2005, 03:24 PM
So I just got my first pair of real figure skates (Jackson Competitors) and I luuuvvv them. Even if the toepicks on the blades seem huge! But the soles need to be waterproofed, and I know not with what.

Suggestions?

iskatealot
04-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Sno-Seal works well. Its what I always use on my skates and its easy to get. They have it at most skating stores here.

SDFanatic
04-05-2005, 10:32 PM
As above use Sno-Seal knead the package well before you open it up so that it flows better. just apply to the sole and edges and then use a hair dryer to melt it and it will absorb into the leather.

You sould do it fairly often if you do lunges to the spot that gets rubbed, otherwise once a year is usually enough.

Steven

TashaKat
04-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Yep, Sno Seal here too :) Love the stuff :bow:

flippet
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
As above use Sno-Seal knead the package well before you open it up so that it flows better. just apply to the sole and edges and then use a hair dryer to melt it and it will absorb into the leather.

I usually heat up the sole with a hair dryer first, then rub the sno-seal in...it melts in as I'm rubbing.

JessicaLynn
04-08-2005, 11:33 PM
So I just got my first pair of real figure skates (Jackson Competitors) and I luuuvvv them. Even if the toepicks on the blades seem huge! But the soles need to be waterproofed, and I know not with what.

Suggestions?

Hey, I just got new Jackson Competitors too! I picked them up today. Aren't they pretty? :) It was the first time I had skates heat-molded to my feet, boy is that neat! I love how they fit. I skate in them for the first time tomorrow, I hope I still love them after that!

They used Sno-seal on mine, but I didn't see them do it so I am not sure how it was applied.

BTW, what level are you in?

Happy skating in your new Jacksons!

crayonskater
04-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all your help!

I'm a new skater -- comfortable on the ice, but just hired a coach who is now teaching me good fundamentals. I'm 25, and never skated as a child.

skatingmozzie
04-20-2005, 06:45 AM
I have just got Jacksons and I've found that under the soles its plastic and when I finish skating there is always water droplets under the insoles and I have to dry them out every night or they'll stink so I use sillica crystals (those little sachets of balls that you get in new shoes)to soak up the water.
Does this help?
Mozzie

Isk8NYC
04-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I filled an old lightweight cotton sock with silica crystals and tied a knot. It's been in my skate bag for years and I've never had a problem with rust or rot.

Vicki
04-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Where do you get silica crystals?

frvanilla
04-23-2005, 09:30 PM
I just got my new skates a week ago, and my fitter did sno-seal them when he mounted the blades.
But today after skating, I saw dots and dots of watermarks on the soles. Is this normal???