View Full Version : How to prevent injury: Muscle cramping and ankle problems.

Lars
08-12-2002, 08:33 AM
These past couple of weeks I have been really distressed over my muscle cramping in my calf and sore ankles whilst skating. I dedicate 15 minutes prior to skating just to stretch both legs on both the calf and thigh region but still I find that sometimes I just do something to aggravate my muscles such as twisting it on the take off of jumps or just anything to overstretch it - and it hurts - and hinders my skating considerably (I only skate once a week so I cram a lot into sessions). Is there medication or anything that I can do to prevent it?

I also find that my ankle hurts a lot if I put pressure on them whilst skating like when doing simple back crossovers. Once they got to the point where it was just extremely uncomfortable and they were almost numb - I couldn't land a thing or even skate without my skates slipping beneath me. The problem also occurs when I power walk (off ice) or go for a jog too much. Is this a common problem or should I see a doctor?

Thank you. :)

Dustin
08-12-2002, 08:40 AM
I would say take more than 15 minutes of stretching. Also, maybe job in place or on a treadmill if you rink has one to sort of warm up your muscles. You don't want to get right on the ice with muscles that still haven't been warmed up.

About the ankle, I would suggest icing it after you skate. If that doesn't go away, I would go see a doctor (hey, it can't hurt to see one).

TashaKat
08-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Hi :)

It may be worth investing in a 'top layer' of clothing that you can strip off once you're warm ON the ice. It's very easy to get cold quickly if your rink isn't well heated. Alternatively you could get some fleece or wool leggings and top (you can get these from dance shops).

Do you also stretch after you've exercised? If you're not cooling down/ gently stretching after coming off the ice this could be adding to the problem.

Another thing to check may be the fit of your boot/siting of your blade. It may be that they're slightly off and causing unnecessary tension (I had really sore ankles when my blades were mounted incorrectly).

You CAN try ibuprofen which is an anti-inflammatory BUT this should only be a short term, temporary measure!!! The best thing to do is to find the cause and solve it NOT mask it with drugs!! (I'm talking from experience here - I had a two week dance course to attend, 3 hours of ballet, 1.5 hours of jazz and 1.5 hours of contemporary, every day for two weeks! Plantar fascitis struck a few days before the course ..... I 'lived' on ibuprofen and ibuprofen gel just to get me through .... I was lucky and didn't get any ill effects but it is SO easy to mask the pain and make the injury worse ... pain is, after all, a signal from your body that something isn't right!)

Hope you can get to the bottom of this and sort it out very soon

L x

kar5162
08-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Have you considered that this may not be a "stretching" issue at all? It's possible that the areas that are feeling sore are simply not strong enough to take the abuse/stress the more difficult jumps are putting on your body (ie double axels are very hard on your leg muscles).

In addition to regular stretching, I would strongly advise getting to some sort of therapist/pilates instructor/ballet instructor, who can properly advise you how to strengthen your ankles and calves as well as your hamstrings/quads. For the more difficult jumps, you will need excellent ankle strength and to prevent injuries, you really need to have balanced muscles - not overly strong in the quads compared to the hamstrings, balance on both legs/both sides of the knees, etc.

Also, even if you are only skating one day a week, you should really be doing some sort of off ice jumping/exercises a few more times in the week, otherwise your body will be somewhat "shocked" during your on ice work outs.

Kim

Lars
08-13-2002, 03:43 AM
Dustin: Thanks for that. I have been thinking of warming up more before the session begins but there is not enough time as my coach starts right away. I'll see what I can do however.

TashaKat: I think that may be the main problem.. because usually muscle cramping occurs towards the end of the session and I'm also thinking fatigue but the common trend is for it to occur when I start to feel a bit 'frozen up'. I have been trying to get a pair of mittens.. just a matter of finding the time to buy them ^_^. I'm hesitant on the medication though.. I'm 16 so I do not want to potentially harm anything.

kar1562: I do do off-ice traning for the other days - at least an hour every night over the last few years and my legs are quite muscly now. I however feel that I do not have balanced muscles like my landing calf is more stronger and developed than my other calf - is that whta you mean? It's not absolutely obvious but if you look closely than you can see a difference between the two.

Thanks everyone for your insight, it has been hepas helpful. I'll let you know when things start to improve :).

icenut84
08-13-2002, 07:30 AM
I think you should visit your doctor. I had a couple of muscle cramps in my calf a while ago and went to my doctor, and he said that if I started to get them a lot then he could give me some medication specifically for that, but since I'd only had two in my life, it wasn't worth it yet. But if you're in so much pain your doctor might refer you to a physiotherapist. It's worth checking it out anyway, they will be able to tell you exactly what the problem is.

Also, it is a good idea to check your boots/blades, like asking a coach. If your feet/ankles are hurting during backward crossovers, it might be because you have laced too tightly.

You said you do off-ice training - what do you do? You should make sure you include stretches (don't concentrate just on your legs but on your whole body) - but make sure you know exactly what you're doing. It's easy to cause yourself injury if you stretch incorrectly. If you have never been taught proper stretches, it is worth learning them somehow. Maybe you could try yoga or something (take a class, don't just buy a video or a book). For any exercise, you should make sure you're warmed up properly, especially when you stretch. Also, warm down afterwards (stroke around etc, i.e. don't end your practice session with difficult jumps and then come off immediately, and do some gentle stretches).

I think it would be a good idea to go to your doctor/physiotherapist as a precaution though. Tell them about your skating and anything else you do, how you feel your landing leg is slightly more muscly than your other, etc.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Rachel x

icenut84
08-13-2002, 07:33 AM
Forgot something - what to do if you get a cramp in your leg. I had them in my calf muscle, and this is what my doctor told me to do if they happened again. If you're skating, get your boot off immediately. (If you're just in shoes, get your shoe off.) Get somebody to move your foot (you won't be able to do it yourself as you will be in too much pain), pointing and flexing, keep doing it. I think you should hold onto where it hurts too. If you do all this, it won't last as long, either the cramp or the pain afterwards.

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
Forgot something - what to do if you get a cramp in your leg

Two other tips: find out now where the acupressure point for cramp is - it's called B57 and is on the back of your leg, at the mid point of the calf where the calf muscle narrows to form the tendon. When cramp strikes, press hard on that point with your thumbs for a moment or two.

The homeopathic remedy cuprum met is also excellent to help an attack go away. And my parents always swear by tonic water - not soda, but Schweppes Indian Tonic, the kind you mix with gin. They do not mix it with gin for cramp (they might do for other reasons!), but drink it neat, or even a spoonful of the concentrate you mix with a fizzy drink machine.

Make sure your feet are warm before you put them in your boots, and don't lace them too tightly, or you are asking for cramp!

quarkiki2
08-13-2002, 09:58 AM
For cramps: Make sure that you are well hydrated and have had enough calcium and potassium. I always used to eat a banana and drink a glass of milk before dance class. Avoid caffeine -- it leaches water out of your body.

Lars
08-16-2002, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone, I took all the tips and I felt absolutely no cramping or ankle problems today - more time dedicated to stretching, another layer of clothing, a banana and milk before training. Brilliant! =o)

However, I did feel a slight aggravation right at the last minute so if problems persist.. I will consult my doctor. Thanks guys!