View Full Version : Has anyone ever skated in UAE?

iskatealot
04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever skated in UAE (United Arab Emirates) and if you have what were the arenas like? Names of Arenas would be good too if anyone has that information. Thanx

batikat
04-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I've not skated there myself but one of our coaches moved to Abu Dhabi (from UK) to coach at a rink there. Not sure which one but here's info:

The coach's name is Jayne Campbell so you might try contacting the rinks and finding out - I'm sure she could give you more info

If I remember right she said there were no private lessons or patch ice for serious skating. All public sessions and group courses.

Abu Dhabi Tourist Club (026723400 adclub@emirates.net.ae) has a large ice-skating rink with TV screens and floodlights.

Abu Dhabi Ice Rink (02 4448458) at Zayed Sport City can also provide hours of fun. Located off Airport Road just past Continent supermarket (15 minutes from the corniche Clock Tower). Reasonably priced lessons for up to three at a time (or courses) can be booked with the in-house trainer. Ice hockey training and matches are on Saturday and Sunday. Great fun, but remember to take a sweater. In Al Ain you can skate at Hili Fun City & Ice Rink (03 784 5542 funcity@emirates.net.ae)

Should you ever get there and meet Jayne tell her Gail said 'Hi!'.

Dubai has two ice-rinks, Al Nasr Leisureland (04 3371234) and Hyatt Regency Galleria (04 2096550).
Costs are in the region of Dh 5–25 for a session. The higher price range usually includes skate hire. Opening hours can vary according to season and activities so check before you go.

2loop2loop
04-05-2005, 04:18 AM
I've not skated there myself but one of our coaches moved to Abu Dhabi (from UK) to coach at a rink there. Not sure which one but here's info:

The coach's name is Jayne Campbell so you might try contacting the rinks and finding out - I'm sure she could give you more info.

Jayne has moved to coach in Abu Dhabi?! She was my first coach years back and I often wonder what she is up to. I've seen her a few times in Bracknell but I had no idea this was on the cards!

John

batikat
04-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi John
yes - she moved out before Christmas - somethings she's wanted to do for years. Her first letter back sounded like it was pretty tough but interesting and she seems to be enjoying herself.

We really missed her at the annual Bracknell ice panto though - she always did the number 'for the dad's!' :lol:

Where do you skate? - I think I saw you at Bracknell opens last year (and Sheffield) - identified from your description of skating with a hat - but I dont' know you, so didn't speak to you then. Will you be at Bracknell this year?

If only I'd got round to skating when I was at Uni in Southampton (doing Chemistry! 8-) ) I might have met Jayne then and certainly Bernard who also coaches at Bracknell.

2loop2loop
04-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi John
Where do you skate? - I think I saw you at Bracknell opens last year (and Sheffield) - identified from your description of skating with a hat - but I dont' know you, so didn't speak to you then. Will you be at Bracknell this year?

If only I'd got round to skating when I was at Uni in Southampton (doing Chemistry! 8-) ) I might have met Jayne then and certainly Bernard who also coaches at Bracknell.

I skate at Milton Keynes and Oxford. Jayne was my first coach in Milton Keynes when I started back in 1993. She taught me for about 6 months before she left to move to Bracknell - I landed my first axels in my very last lesson with her (then couldn't repeat the feat for nearly a year). I used to call her the big banana because she used to wear a bright yellow ski suit.

I was indeed the one with the hat at Bracknell and Sheffield last year (I even got an ignominious 9th (and last) place from the musical interpretation judge at Sheffield :lol: which I've never lived down since I'm a pianist when not wearing my skating or chemistry hats). I will most likely be at Bracknell again this year although it may be only in the freeskate as I don't have an interp on the go since retiring the hat.

John

yorkie
04-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Hiya, I havent skated in UAE but I skate at Bracknell.

I had no idea that Jayne has moved to Abu Dhabi. But I have to agree that the panto wasnt the same without her. My mate, that skates with me, and I were talking about it the other day because we noticed that we havent seen Jayne around the rink for ages now and we were wondering where she was. And now you've answered our question, thanks. We had no idea that she had moved. She was a great coach, she taught me a lot even though I only had her as a coach for a few lessons in academy.

Bernard still is a coach at Bracknell, I saw him at the rink last week. Another one of the coachs is leaving. Shes moving to Chicago at the end of this month.

Sorry i've invade your conversation but i couldnt help not saying anything.

Hannah xXx

batikat
04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Another one of the coachs is leaving. Shes moving to Chicago at the end of this month.

Sorry i've invade your conversation but i couldnt help not saying anything.

Hannah xXx

Hi Hannah - nice to meet you, even if only online so far. Yes the coach who is leaving runs the group jumps class on Friday mornings and I will miss her greatly - though she may be relieved not to have to watch my abysmal attempts at a loop jump anymore :lol:

To 2loop2loop - I'll look out for your freeskate at Bracknell - you must be in the top class I guess. I shall be in the lowly level 1's with a programme probably more suited to Beginner level but I was forced into level 1 having taken the old novice test (which had no jumps or spins when I did it!). Maybe the adult camp at Nottingham shortly will help me. I need all the help I can get! :)

yorkie
04-09-2005, 08:40 AM
though she may be relieved not to have to watch my abysmal attempts at a loop jump anymore :lol:

Hey, nice to meet you too. I bet your loops are much better than mine, I can kind off do them off ice but when its comes to actually skating and doing them I just end up getting scared and not jumping. Or if I do jump I land on two feet like half way round, im rubbish at them. Its like it doesnt feel right to jump off that leg, im just a chicken really.

Hannah xXx