View Full Version : rinks around Edinburgh

Verena
04-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi all!
I was thinking that it would be so nice to find an ice rink open in the summer somewhere in Europe. I have a friend that lives in Edinburgh, so I was wondering if anybody is aware of rinks that may be open during July/August around that area.

Any help/information is welcome!

Thanks,

Verena

NickiT
04-04-2005, 03:59 AM
You could try this one:-

MURRAYFIELD
Riversdale Crescent, Edinburgh, Scotland EH12 5XN
Rink Size: 100ft x 200ft
Tel: 0131 337 6933 Fax: 0131 346 2951
E-mail: n/a
Manager: Mr. William Dunbar

There are others in Scotland but I'm not sure how close to Edinburgh they are.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2005, 04:34 AM
There are others in Scotland but I'm not sure how close to Edinburgh they are.

NickiScotland has hordes of rinks, but the majority are used for curling, it seems! We had awful trouble trying to find practice-ice before the Scottish championships last year - the sole rink in the town where we were staying was being used for the championships, and didn't seem to know about practice-ice when we enquired. Then the nearest rink to it was closed for maintenance - such a sensible idea in the middle of the Scottish half-term holiday, with a major championship going on in the next town, wasn't it? We then explored rinks in the town where we were picking up Other Woman; one didn't want to know about ice-dancers looking for practice ice, and the other had no sessions, but "you had to be a member of a club" to skate there. We drove up the coast a bit, and found an ice-rink in a leisure centre - closed, because the Zamboni had broken down! They recommended us to another rink, but neglected to tell us where it was, and after hours driving round most of Southern Scotland, we finally found it.... we nearly gave up!

Actually there are plenty of rinks in the Glasgow area, most of which are open year-round, so if Murrayfield isn't open (I've not heard that it closes in the summer), I'm sure you'll find ice somewhere.

Verena
04-04-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks a lot!

It seems like a marathon to find practice ice in Scotland! :frus: I am going to call soon in order to find out if Murrayfield Ice Rink will be open in the summer. Otherwise, how far is Glascow from Edinbrugh? Is there a list of rinks that I could find on an internet site?

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks a lot!

It seems like a marathon to find practice ice in Scotland! :frus: I am going to call soon in order to find out if Murrayfield Ice Rink will be open in the summer. Otherwise, how far is Glascow from Edinbrugh? Is there a list of rinks that I could find on an internet site?Glasgow isn't that far - only about 40-50 miles. And the list of rinks is here (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/dyncat.cfm?catid=10449) - scroll down until you get to the Scottish section of the list.

Verena
04-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks a lot!
This information is really helpful. I am so excited with the possiblity of skating in the summer!

TashaKat
04-04-2005, 10:30 AM
MelanieUK skates at Murrayfield but doesn't come on here as often any more so you could try pm'ing her :) She would know opening times etc, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't close in the Summer.