View Full Version : Skates & Flying To An

starskate6.0
04-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Dear Friends

As most of you will know I am a pilot for the airlines and I would like to give you a few inside tips about taking your skates to nationals if you are flying. Here are some ideas you can try...
1. I have been talking to TSA people most of the week regarding taking your skates through security and on board an aircraft. The mix bag of answers i got where unclear and it seems to change with whom ever you talk to at the time. So it seems that TSA has no real Answer. However, The general opinion amongst them is that the answer is no :cry: . Keep in mind this may not be universal at your airport.
2. I suggest that if you intend to carry your skates on to the aircraft, you rap the blades up with gards on with duct tap. This may or may not be exceptable. don't mention it and see if they have a problem with it when you pass through security. :?? ( remember they don't have a clue about skaters) ( smile a lot be friendly, this sometimes helps)
3. Arrive very early. If you pass through security and they do not want you to take them on board you will have to return to the check in counter and check them in. (LOTS OF LABELS, UGLY BAGS ARE EASY TO FIND).
4. Heres my best idea, dont take them at all. FEDEX them to your hotel before you leave, CALL THE HOTEL, tell them to expect the package. ;)
and get a TRACKING NUMBER from FED-EX or UPS.( 8Overy important 8O )

The next part is for those flying out of PHL to MCI ( KC).
:evil:WARNING :evil: I hate to say this but its true and Im only trying to help you all here but. Bags get lost in PHL at double the industry avarage at 17%. There is a huge staff shortage in PHL for ground staff and planes have often left with no bags at all. I am Captain on the regional jets and I took a 2 hour delay today because there was no one to load the aircraft and I only got half the bags I expected. There are 4 direct flights a day to KC out of PHL out of the F terminal on Regional Jets.( I can not speak for the main line jets from the other terminals.) If you are on one of these flights I strongly recomend to carry constumes and skates on board if you can or FED_ex UPS skates to KC and your Hotel. :cry:

Remember this is only advise based on what I see as Captain of an aircraft every day. You must decide for your self how best to get to KC. If I fly Ill FED-EX my skates, I can't trust my own ground crew because of the lack of staff. I may drive. ...Ain't that sad :cry: Good Luck.. :D

dbny
04-03-2005, 03:36 PM
If I fly Ill FED-EX my skates, I can't trust my own ground crew because of the lack of staff. I may drive. ...Ain't that sad :cry: Good Luck.. :D

Yikes 8O, you mean they won't even let the Captain carry on his skates? That's absurd. I'm not going, but appreciate the advice, which I think would be good for flying anytime.

starskate6.0
04-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Im afraid so... :cry:

Shinn-Reika
04-03-2005, 04:15 PM
When I took mine to delaware, I just put them in one of my checked bags. Didn't get any resistance after that.

Terri C
04-03-2005, 06:09 PM
In anticipation of flying to Atlanta in September for Peach Classic, I e-mailed Delta Airlines asking about this same issue. I was told that my skates need to be checked in and would count toward my 2 bag check in limit. Since I'll be taking a non-stop flight, I doubt there will be a problem.
Now, how do I pack costumes, etc? Anyone with ideas, suggestions,it would be appreciated!

starskate6.0
04-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi Terri

I certainly hope no one has a problem flying. :D .As far as costume is concerned. Try to buy a cheap plastic garmet bag that take hangers. They fold up well in an over head bin and can be hung up in closet on the plane if you ask the flight attendant. ;)

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2005, 04:19 AM
What we have done with our skates - and plan to do this time (we are not skating except at the social dancing on the Sunday, so if one of our bags gets delayed in Chicago it should have caught up with us by then), is to pack them in the middle of the suitcase, in their individual bags, stuffed with clean socks, with the plastic guards on AND the soakers on top if possible! Our skates travelled beautifully.

flo
04-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks Ross.
I've flown quite a bit with my skates and have taken to checking them post 9-11. I've been fortunate and have had no problems. I also have a leopard print bag and a grapefruit color bad - easy to spot them being loaded onto the next plane when I change planes!

doubletoe
04-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I talked to the TSA security people a few weeks ago and got some clarification on this. Skates are not on the list of prohibited items for carry-on, but each airport has a different level of security and it is up to the airport security personnel to determine risk level. Since our skates have blades on them, the higher security airports (JFK, Dulles, LAX and I think a few others) will never allow you to carry them on. Some other airports might allow it, but you never know until you get to the security checkpoint so either get there way ahead of time in case you are told to check them, or just put them in your checked luggage. Or of course you can always send them by Fedex.

daisies
04-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Skates are not on the list of prohibited items for carry-on, but each airport has a different level of security and it is up to the airport security personnel to determine risk level. Since our skates have blades on them, the higher security airports (JFK, Dulles, LAX and I think a few others) will never allow you to carry them on. Some other airports might allow it, but you never know until you get to the security checkpoint.I was told the exact same thing. JFK, LAX and Logan, actually, were the higher-elevation security ones; they didn't mention Dulles, but of course it makes sense.

SkateGuard
04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Another suggestion....as the TSA agents at the security checkpoint _before_ you check in for your flight. That's what I did last year.

Also, the airlines will _always_ say no. They're in CYA mode. I act like I have the Crown Jewels in my bag. I also carry my USFS rulebook and membership card. And I also wear my club gear. I flew out of MKE for Mids, and all I got was a "good luck" from the TSA. Then again, it's a smaller airport...

Now I'm a flying commuter who has never checked skates....but I'm not flying in or out of LAX, Dulles, JFK, etc.

I don't trust the airlines with my luggage, especially coming from ORD (that's where Tanith's and Ben's skates got lost before 4CC's). So I'm carrying my skates on in Chicago (no problem...I did it the last two weeks with no problem and will be doing it tomorrow). However, I have learned that you cannot check skates at MCI (Kansas City). Personally, I got a friend to drive my skates home. Then again, it's not so important _after_ the competition...

My advice? Do everything possible you can to carry on your skates on the way to MCI. Better to try and fail than to assume you can't, have the airlines lose your luggage, and find out later that it's not a problem.

Perhaps we should start a list of some sort with what airports traditionally allow or don't allow skates.

Mine:

ORD, MDW (both Chicago): no problem
MKE: no problem (I've gone through 15 times without a problem)
MSP: don't even blink (three months without a problem)
DEN: got through once without a problem

LoopLoop
04-05-2005, 04:25 PM
This morning I brought my skates as carry-on when I flew from Dulles to North Carolina. I didn't say anything, just put the skate bag on the belt for screening... the screener stopped it when they were under the X-ray, turned to his co-worker, and said "ice skates, what do we do with these?" and the other worker (more senior, I presume) said "we let them through!"

But next week I fly out of National Airport for AN, and I don't know what they'll decide.

NoVa Sk8r
04-05-2005, 05:25 PM
(And NoVa thinks: What a great time for Loops to be out of town--right before AN!)

Terri C
04-05-2005, 07:37 PM
(And NoVa thinks: What a great time for Loops to be out of town--right before AN!)

Awww, poor baby! :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
04-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Awww, poor baby! :roll:Grrr! ... Well, when YOU get to go to AN, then maybe you'll understand?! :twisted:

singerskates
04-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Be sure to have your home address on your baggage especially your skate bag. Next make large size stickers or papers stuck on with clear packing tape with large size print of your destination (hotel where you are staying) and your name. One the way back before handing in your luggage with your airline carrier switch to another large one for coming back with your home address. This way, the airlines can't mess up.

I've done this and I have never lost my luggage . It worked for me for 2004 and 2005 Adult Canadians. I used the defunct JetsGo in 2004 and this year Canjet.

One word, many people who few back from PEI 2005 Adult Canadians, lost their luggage including their skates flying with Air Canada. What I'm saying is that just because you pick the most expensive company with whom to fly, doesn't mean that you will have no problems or that they will be reliable.

singerskates

icecatepairs
04-07-2005, 11:36 PM
what are the chances of carrying on my skates if flying out o newark NJ on continnental. don't they scan for metal objects. does duct taping the towels to the blades really work? :?: :roll:

Mrs Redboots
04-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Be sure to have your home address on your baggage especially your skate bag. No WAY, that's absolutely the WORST thing you can do - potential thieves just love hanging round airports and seeing who's going to be away from which address. Put your name and address INSIDE your bag, but outside, no more than your name and perhaps your home town.

flo
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi,
I always use my work address on my luggage tags. It solves a few problems. If they call, there's someone there!

LoopLoop
04-08-2005, 10:00 AM
FYI, when I flew back from Raleigh to Washington yesterday they let me bring my skates on again!

Let's hope my luck continues through next Tuesday...

singerskates
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
No WAY, that's absolutely the WORST thing you can do - potential thieves just love hanging round airports and seeing who's going to be away from which address. Put your name and address INSIDE your bag, but outside, no more than your name and perhaps your home town.
All the airports I've been to tell you that you can't leave your bags for one minute. I check my bags in as soon as I can when I get to the airport and I pick them up right away right after I land. I never leave my bags out of my site for one moment.

singerskates

starskate6.0
04-10-2005, 07:50 PM
what are the chances of carrying on my skates if flying out o newark NJ on continnental. don't they scan for metal objects. does duct taping the towels to the blades really work? :?: :roll:

Well...Believe it or not, there is a list of things you can not carry on board an aircraft, figure skates are not on the list :roll: HOWEVER, TSA agents have varying ideas as to what is classified as a blade, :roll: so it varys a lot from one airport to the next. Some will let them through, some won't. :giveup: Im a Pilot and I sent mine to the hotel UPS yesterday, because I did not know what to expect. If you plan to try this, Rap them up good, don't mention it till asked, and if they have a problem go back to the check in counter and check them. If this happens give your self at least an hour and a half too get this done. this way the bags stand a better chance of getting to the plane on time and so do you.
good Luck. :D

Terri C
04-10-2005, 08:02 PM
I did check the TSA website today out of curiousity and yes, folks, ice skates are on the list of banned sporting equipment, along with baseball bats and golf clubs!

starskate6.0
04-10-2005, 09:11 PM
I did check the TSA website today out of curiousity and yes, folks, ice skates are on the list of banned sporting equipment, along with baseball bats and golf clubs!

" Wow" Terri C That's new's to me. I did not think to check there web site on this. I walk through every day ( without skates of course) but never thought about it till I asked. Some of the agents them selves are not sure, but if its on the list i guess its true. :?? Well Iv sent mine UPS so i guess thats OK. good work Terri. ;) .

NoVa Sk8r
04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Actually, ice skates are not officially on the prohibited item (http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Prohibited_English_4-1-2005_v2.pdf) list. The only items listed are: baseball bats, bows and arrows, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, and spear guns ( 8O ). And the bottom note says, "Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners." So that language seems to support bringing blades onboard. And hey, if my blades have not been sharpepend in several months, then they should be allowed if we follow the rule that "Scissors with metal blunt tips are permitted." ;)

And what an interesting list. I can't believe that I am NOT allowed to take hand grenades on the plane? :P

Anyway, I'll find out soon enough on Tuesday morning. I hope my innocent, "who, me?" look works its magic.

jazzpants
04-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Oh, yes it is prohibited!!! (Please see the last bullet point.)

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1038.xml

FWIW, I've travelled from SFO to JFK and back with my skates in the checked in luggage! No problems at all. (I just packed a bunch of clothes and put my blades with a brand new and clean blade guards on (so I don't dirty up the surrounding clothing that's cushioning the blades.) Then again, it ain't Kansas City so...

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2005, 04:57 AM
All the airports I've been to tell you that you can't leave your bags for one minute. I check my bags in as soon as I can when I get to the airport and I pick them up right away right after I land. I never leave my bags out of my site for one moment.

singerskatesIt's not the bags I'm worried about - it's home! If you have your home address outside the case, you are telling burglars that this house is going to be empty for the next few days, and they can go and help themselves..... Much safer just to put the town, or perhaps the hotel you are going _to_ on the label.

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2005, 05:01 AM
And what an interesting list. I can't believe that I am NOT allowed to take hand grenades on the plane? :P I wonder whyever not!!! :halo:

FWIW, I've travelled from SFO to JFK and back with my skates in the checked in luggage! No problems at all. (I just packed a bunch of clothes and put my blades with a brand new and clean blade guards on (so I don't dirty up the surrounding clothing that's cushioning the blades.) Then again, it ain't Kansas City so...Our skates are going in our big suitcases; if they don't come on the plane from ORD to MCI with us, which is, I suppose, possible (we only have 2 hours to change planes), I'm sure they'll be along on the next flight that evening, or first thing next day. Hope so, as my GB team maroon fleece jacket is in that case! I have left all my socks out of my compression bags to stuff inside them.....

jenlyon60
04-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I checked mine the other year when I flew from DC (IAD) to Atlanta for Peach.... my routing courtesy Priceline included a change in Charlotte. Everything arrived in the appropriate pieces.

Same when I flew to London last fall. The hardest part of that trip was that I borrowed a larger suitcase and had problems remembering what it looked like, when watching the baggage conveyor belt.

FWIW, both times, I stuffed socks and/or tights and/or undies inside the boots. Left the hard guards off, and used just the terry soakers. Packed them in the middle of the case with clothes and what-not all around them.