View Full Version : A new take on the perennial question!

Mrs Redboots
04-02-2005, 03:46 AM
The "perennial question" in question being - new boots! I don't want advice on what I ought to get - I shall be guided by my fitter, and very probably go for "the mixture as before", unless, of course, there is something on a particularly attractive special offer at Adult Nationals!

But the big question for me is when to change. The Mountain Cup is at the beginning of June, and the Bracknell Adult Opens and our own Lambeth Festival (a closed Club competition) at the end of it. Then there is a gap for the summer, with only RIDL matches and a potential qualifier in September before the British Adult Championships in October.

If I'm going to get them, and I am going to have to, when would be a good time? If I can get something good at AN, it's probably as well to do so, but do you think it would be too late when I got back, and I should leave it until July?

What do people think?

NickiT
04-02-2005, 03:56 AM
I'd wait until July. We get so few competitions here in the UK for us adults only, that it's probably wise to wait till you've done them, then invest in your new boots and take the summer to break them in. That's what I'd do if I were in need of new boots, which I thought I was but hopefully I can drag at least another year out of them!!

Nicki

jenlyon60
04-02-2005, 05:25 AM
If you find a good offer at AN, go for it (with the exchange rate, the pricing may be in your favor).

Then hold off on actually changing over to the new boots/blades (assuming you plan to go "cold turkey" and totally switch) until after Mountain Cup and the club comp.

I am probably going to have to get new boots this year also, but plan on using same blades. Because of the weird warping that my left boot has undergone (probably from a non-optimal blade mounting and my body trying to force the boot to work), my new skate guy says that he's going to do totally new tracings/measurements and explain what has happened with this pair to Klingbeils and advise them to totally ignore all my previous tracings/measurements/lasts they have on file.

In my case, it'll be sometime in July before I switch, between Pro-Am and re-testing the Tango (Pro-Am is middle of June and the June dance test session is late June).

2loop2loop
04-02-2005, 05:33 AM
But the big question for me is when to change. The Mountain Cup is at the beginning of June, and the Bracknell Adult Opens and our own Lambeth Festival (a closed Club competition) at the end of it. Then there is a gap for the summer, with only RIDL matches and a potential qualifier in September before the British Adult Championships in October.

What do people think?

This was exactly the issue I had. I haven't entirely made up my mind about the MC yet (I have the time this year, but not neccessarily he finances, while last year when I had the money it was a real struggle to get the time off so I could go), but in the event that I do go I really needed to get my boots sorted out now. I wouldn't want to have much less than 2 months between getting new boots and having to compete in them.

Having said that, some people seem to be able to get new boots and skate like normal straight away (I know of someone doing double axels after 6 minutes in new boots 8O ) but for a lesser mortal like me it normally takes about two weeks before I am getting everything back together.

John

jazzpants
04-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Me? If you get a good deal, I'd order the boots at AN -- especially if you're going customs and getting foot orthotics! (I do have one notable exception which I will tell you offline...) If you go the route of customs, it will take a couple of months anyway just to get those boots in and by that point, it's mid-June, early July anyway!

And while you're at it, I know you don't want recommendations for what type of boots, but may I suggest you go customs and get it RED leather or suede? :twisted: :lol: :P

dbny
04-02-2005, 10:36 AM
I agree with jenlyon60 and jazzpants, get them at AN if you find a good buy, but wait to use them till the competition season is over.

doubletoe
04-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Buy them now--or as soon as you find a good deal on them. You can start wearing them around the house now (just walking flat-footed in them and going up and down stairs in them so you don't bend the soles) so that they are mostly broken in by the time you actually start skating in them.

Michigansk8er
04-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Wait until July...........but if you find something particularly attractive at AN order them there, but wait to skate in them until after all of your competitions.

Mrs Redboots
04-03-2005, 07:04 AM
And while you're at it, I know you don't want recommendations for what type of boots, but may I suggest you go customs and get it RED leather or suede? :twisted: :lol: :PNo, I don't think I'll go for customs - I have pretty standard feet and stock boots shouldn't be a problem! Of course, if I don't get anything at AN, and the WIFA people are at the Mountain Cup again, as they were last year, I might be tempted..... but we'll see. WIFA are nice boots, but they are alleged to be horrid to break in!

Raine
04-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Unless your boots are broken down to the point where it affects your confidence, I'd break in the new boots after your big competitions, particularly if you're getting a different type of boot than you have now.

Cheers,
Raine

icedancer2
04-03-2005, 12:01 PM
You can always try my old trick of putting in new cotton laces and polishing them (which you would anyway for a competition!) -- this made my old boots workable for at least 5 years!!

Mrs Redboots
04-03-2005, 12:18 PM
You can always try my old trick of putting in new cotton laces and polishing them (which you would anyway for a competition!) -- this made my old boots workable for at least 5 years!!Been there, done that! And yes, it did give my boots a new lease of life. As did putting in thermal insoles when they got too loose from losing weight....

They'll live until July, I think - but I'm not sure how much later....

Isk8NYC
04-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I'd check out prices and options before AN, then see if you find a good deal. Start wearing them and breaking them in come July, unless your current ones give up the ghost.

Good luck!

jazzpants
04-03-2005, 11:33 PM
No, I don't think I'll go for customs - I have pretty standard feet and stock boots shouldn't be a problem! Of course, if I don't get anything at AN, and the WIFA people are at the Mountain Cup again, as they were last year, I might be tempted..... but we'll see. WIFA are nice boots, but they are alleged to be horrid to break in!You're lucky! I have flat arches and a bad lower back!!! (Never mind that one leg is very very slightly longer than the other...) :P My secondary coach specifically told me to go customs since all my injuries were from my old stock Riedell boots. (Can't wait to find an opportunity to tell my injury story to our mutual "friend" on RSSIR who recommends Riedell Silver Stars and MK Pro to EVERYONE!!!) :twisted: