View Full Version : AN: Friday night skatingforums dinner

skaternum
03-31-2005, 11:57 AM
Looking at the schedule, I say YUCK! It's almost impossible to find a normal dinner time to go. I mean, the schedule is spread out really badly to accomodate a group dinner. For example (please don't feel bad if I didn't include you in the list),

3:22-4:32 Skateguard and MelOnIce in Bronze I
4:32-5:19 Raine in Bronze III
6:16-7:26 hopefully LoopLoop, BeccaPoo, et al in Silver II finals
8:27-9:26 starskate60, lives2skate, etc. in Championship Gold Men

I assume, then, we'll have to go to dinner AFTER the last events (which are Championship Gold Men and Masters Interp Ladies III). Is that what you guys were thinking? If so, that would put us at the restaurant 9:45 - 10:00pm!

What do you guys think? I know LoopLoop and I can eat pretty much anything at anytime, but I know some people aren't like us. :P

Terri C
03-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Skaternum,
Look at the schedule this way- a late dinner will keep NoVa up so he won't oversleep and miss his official practice the next morning! :lol: :twisted: :idea:

NoVa Sk8r
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
How 'bout a dinner on Thursday night and a group lunch on Friday instead?

skaternum
03-31-2005, 12:25 PM
How 'bout a dinner on Thursday night and a group lunch on Friday instead?Have you forgotten you're competing in pairs from 8:80-8:34 on Thursday night???

On Friday afternoon, depending on which warmup group they're in, daisies, coskater64, pattyp, and skater1964 will all be competing in interp at 1:23 or 2:20. Dang, this is getting tough.

NoVa Sk8r
03-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Have you forgotten you're competing in pairs from 8:00-8:34 on Thursday night???

On Friday afternoon, depending on which warmup group they're in, daisies, coskater64, pattyp, and skater1964 will all be competing in interp at 1:23 or 2:20. Dang, this is getting tough.Well, our event (along with Championship Gold ladies on the other rink) is the last of the night. Doesn't seem like there's an optimal time. (And I was just providing an alternative. Sheesh. :roll: )

LoopLoop
03-31-2005, 12:34 PM
It would take some coordination, but what about setting up a skatingforums section in the stands and getting carryout to eat at the rink while we watch everybody else skate?

flo
03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
How about drinks and a late snack on Friday?
My "supervisor" that has obstructed Internationals said this would not be a good time to go on vacation. I'm interviewing. Anyone need a Sr. Research Manager/Scientist???????

PattyP
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
It would take some coordination, but what about setting up a skatingforums section in the stands and getting carryout to eat at the rink while we watch everybody else skate?

That sounds fun, then go out for drinks afterwords!

Michigansk8er
03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
How about drinks and a late snack on Friday?

Sounds like a great idea!

TimDavidSkate
03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
AWESOME!!! Can I tag along? :halo:

Beccapoo2003
03-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Great idea! :D And we wouldn't hafta wait for a table!
(I'll bring the Nips)
Becca

NoVa Sk8r
03-31-2005, 11:08 PM
(I'll bring the Nips)Ah, sweet memories ... You rock, Becca!

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2005, 02:12 AM
It would take some coordination, but what about setting up a skatingforums section in the stands and getting carryout to eat at the rink while we watch everybody else skate?That's the best idea of the lot - I'm up for it. Skaternum, you and I could go and get the food, couldn't we? Or won't you have a car (if you don't, it'll have to be you & my husband, as I don't drive!)? Becca brings the nips....

flo
04-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi,
If I make it past qualifying 8O I'll have a car. Also, if anyone needs help or someone to watch practices or put you on the ice, let me know. Since I've been back to my "slipper" skates I've been doing a lot of coaching!

skaternum
04-01-2005, 09:05 AM
That's the best idea of the lot - I'm up for it. Skaternum, you and I could go and get the food, couldn't we? Or won't you have a car (if you don't, it'll have to be you & my husband, as I don't drive!)? Becca brings the nips....
Actually, I won't have a car, so it'll have to be Robert and me. I'd be able to leave the arena from:

4:30-6:15
7:30-8:30

Have Robert pick one of those times.

How about this? Anyone who wants us to pick up food for them should meet us at the registration desk at (whatever time Robert picks) on Friday. Give us your order and your money, and we'll fetch it and bring it back.

From where shall we get our dinner? A quick look at the Overland Park Convention and Visitors Bureau site shows lots of stuff in the area. I noticed that there's several Chinese plasces, a Sonic Drive-In, Uno Chicago Grill and the usual fast food in the close vicinity to the arena. A little further away are things like Chili's and Applebees. Of course, we could always get take out from Jack Stack, per our original idea. Here's the take out menu. http://jackstackbbq.com/article.asp?ai=131 Carry-out dinner specials are listed way down on the page. It's a little further away, but might be worth the drive.

Annabel, would you come up with a way for folks to find the "skatingforums" spot in the stands (which rink? maybe a sign or something? wave Becca's underwear?!)

flo
04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
How about flags? I've made them for previous clubs. Some oof you may remember them from past Nat's.

Raine
04-01-2005, 09:51 AM
You guys rock! I vote for Jack Stack if it's not too far away, and I'll have a car all week...

Mel On Ice
04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm going to be like this 8O for a majority of the competition. So many friends to meet and greet, so many skatingforums folks to meet formally, wow, I can't wait!

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Actually, I won't have a car, so it'll have to be Robert and me. I'd be able to leave the arena from:

4:30-6:15
7:30-8:30

Have Robert pick one of those times.I would imagine the later time would be better - I'll let him know!

How about this? Anyone who wants us to pick up food for them should meet us at the registration desk at (whatever time Robert picks) on Friday. Give us your order and your money, and we'll fetch it and bring it back.Makes sense to me.

From where shall we get our dinner? A quick look at the Overland Park Convention and Visitors Bureau site shows lots of stuff in the area. I noticed that there's several Chinese plasces, a Sonic Drive-In, Uno Chicago Grill and the usual fast food in the close vicinity to the arena. A little further away are things like Chili's and Applebees. Of course, we could always get take out from Jack Stack, per our original idea. Here's the take out menu. http://jackstackbbq.com/article.asp?ai=131 Carry-out dinner specials are listed way down on the page. It's a little further away, but might be worth the drive.My friends say it's marvellous. But the veggie options are rather limited, which some folk might find a problem. We will need to get menus, too, unless someone has a wireless laptop with them so we can see on-line what they have.

Annabel, would you come up with a way for folks to find the "skatingforums" spot in the stands (which rink? maybe a sign or something? wave Becca's underwear?!)Definitely wave Becca's underwear.... but flags are a great idea, too.

flo
04-01-2005, 02:06 PM
I can make some flags for us.

Michigansk8er
04-01-2005, 02:53 PM
I can make some flags for us.

Cool!!!! Thanks Flo!!!!

Sk8er1964 & I will have a car too............well, one between us.

sk8er1964
04-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Wheee! This will be great.

Becca and Mrs. Redboots (and others who know him) - I'll pass this on to our mutual friend the pair-with-a-pairs-partner-in-each-state/country :P

Mrs Redboots
04-02-2005, 03:28 AM
Wheee! This will be great.

Becca and Mrs. Redboots (and others who know him) - I'll pass this on to our mutual friend the pair-with-a-pairs-partner-in-each-state/country :PYes, do. He was over here last weekend with his European pairs partner (I threw a party for them last Saturday, which is why I was a bit hungover on Easter Sunday!), and getting into a right old muddle with his death spiral - her death spiral, rather. Hope he treats you better.... ;)

Beccapoo2003
04-02-2005, 07:15 AM
I will have a car, too.
The underwear flag idea is cute! :lol: Consider it done!
Yes, the pairs Ho must be there!
Becca

Mrs Redboots
04-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Husband says he can't believe how organised we are.... already arranging him to go and get take-away at the end of next week! :lol: (He's happy to, by the way, and I've asked my friend to get us some Jack Stack menus, if possible, so we can see what we're looking at).

skaternum
04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
re: the menus ... the link I gave in an earlier posting has the menu for take-out.

I just had a bad thought: what if the arena won't allow outside food brought in? Many of them don't. And while it may be easy for me to sneak a sandwich in my backpack, I don't see how we'll be able to sneak in a couple of boxes full of BBQ. Is there anything in the AN announcement or on the arena site about outside food???

NoVa Sk8r
04-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Oh, dear. I'm glad we have a few non-competing skaters to handle these Earth-shattering problems!

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2005, 04:29 AM
re: the menus ... the link I gave in an earlier posting has the menu for take-out.I know it does - but I, for one, won't have a laptop with Internet access with me!

I just had a bad thought: what if the arena won't allow outside food brought in? Many of them don't. And while it may be easy for me to sneak a sandwich in my backpack, I don't see how we'll be able to sneak in a couple of boxes full of BBQ. Is there anything in the AN announcement or on the arena site about outside food???That is a rather more difficult problem.... and what we don't know is what sort of catering they do have. Most rinks are at the bacon-roll sort of level, which is fine for breakfast & lunch, but not what one wants for a main meal.... but several rinks here do have proper restaurants as an integral part of the facilities, and if the ice arena has that, we're all right!

LoopLoop
04-04-2005, 07:30 AM
I remember seeing a basic snack bar but no "real" food inside the rink; I'd email the LOC to ask about bringing outside food in, but I'll be traveling and away from my computer for the next couple of days. Anyone want to volunteer to do that?

hoa_kc@hotmail.com

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2005, 07:46 AM
According to their website, they have an Adult Lounge (the mind boggles!) and a full-service restaurant and snack bar.

MusicSkateFan
04-04-2005, 08:59 AM
:bow: I think NoVa will have to carry around a tape recorder to get every detail of the events and of the social activity at AN! This was suggested to him yesterday after the AN sendoff for our skating club.(I beleive by LoopLoop)

I think it is a great idea!

PS Hey NoVa, can you, or someone out there, give me some good feedback from the men's Bronze II event? I would like to know what I am up against for 2006.

Thanks, Have fun

flo
04-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi,
I've asked before, anyone know if the judges and audience are on the same or different sides of the rink?

NoVa Sk8r
04-04-2005, 09:10 AM
:bow: I think NoVa will have to carry around a tape recorder to get every detail of the events and of the social activity at AN! This was suggested to him yesterday after the AN sendoff for our skating club.(I beleive by LoopLoop). PS Hey NoVa, can you, or someone out there, give me some good feedback from the men's Bronze II event? I would like to know what I am up against for 2006.MSF,
Haha. Yes, I just ordered a new tape recorder for, um, work purposes. What my employer doesn't know won't hurt.

I'd be glad to take notes on the bronze II's. But unfortunately, it's being held at the same time on the other rink as my silver I event. I'm sure if TD shows up for the event, he'll be glad to provide some feedback.

And hey, at the rate you're going, I wouldn't be surprised to see you at the silver level next year!

MusicSkateFan
04-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I could only make silver next year if they allow spins to be performed on my ###! :) :evil: ;) But thanks for the vote of confidence!

LoopLoop
04-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi,
I've asked before, anyone know if the judges and audience are on the same or different sides of the rink?
I'm pretty sure they will be on opposite sides.

NoVa Sk8r
04-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I could only make silver next year if they allow spins to be performed on my ###! :) :evil: ;) But thanks for the vote of confidence!Ah ... I forgot about those spin requirements in the silver test. Anyway, you're still cutting your teeth in the adult competitive thang, so have fun in bronze while you can!

Terri C
04-04-2005, 11:29 AM
PS Hey NoVa, can you, or someone out there, give me some good feedback from the men's Bronze II event? I would like to know what I am up against for 2006.

MSF,
I plan on ordering the DVD of the Bronze II Ladies final- that's a idea for you, to order the men's event!

MusicSkateFan
04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
That is good advice Terri. I might just do that!

skaternum
04-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I remember seeing a basic snack bar but no "real" food inside the rink; I'd email the LOC to ask about bringing outside food in, but I'll be traveling and away from my computer for the next couple of days. Anyone want to volunteer to do that?

hoa_kc@hotmail.com
I'm on it!

skaternum
04-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Here's the e-mail I got from Lori Osbourne:
-------------------------------------------
There is a deli at the rink which will have snacks and other quick pick-up
items. They have told me they are also planning to have a soup and buffett
in the bar upstairs. They really prefer that no outside food is brought in.
Within walking distance is an Arby's, Quizno's, a Chinese Place, KFC/Taco
Bell/Pizza Hut and a McDonald's (literally across the street).

Hope this helps!
Lori Osborne
Co-Chair
2005 US Adult Figure Skating Championships

So what do you guys think??

Mrs Redboots
04-07-2005, 07:02 AM

So what do you guys think??I don't know Arby's, Quizno's, or Taco Bell (but Husband and I could explore them for other meals - are they any good?), but let's not write off the buffet upstairs, either.... sometimes these things are reasonable. We'll know by Friday, and can decide then.

Oh, I so can't wait - this time next week I'll be there and seeing you all in person! Loads of friends I already know, and many I only know from this forum & e-mails (and, I regret to say, in some cases REPUTATION!!!!)

sk8er1964
04-07-2005, 09:21 AM
I don't know Arby's, Quizno's, or Taco Bell (but Husband and I could explore them for other meals - are they any good?), but let's not write off the buffet upstairs, either.... sometimes these things are reasonable. We'll know by Friday, and can decide then.

Oh, I so can't wait - this time next week I'll be there and seeing you all in person! Loads of friends I already know, and many I only know from this forum & e-mails (and, I regret to say, in some cases REPUTATION!!!!)

They're all basically fast food - Arby's is sliced roast beef (they have other things like chicken wraps), Quizno's is subs (never been to one, so don't know how good they are) and Taco Bell is the American fast food version of Mexican food (in the early 90's there was a Taco Bell in Picadilly Circus - is it still there?)

LoopLoop
04-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Quizno's is pretty good as subs go... personally I think they're MUCH better than Subway.

NoVa Sk8r
04-07-2005, 10:39 AM
There is a deli at the rink which will have snacks and other quick pick-up items. They have told me they are also planning to have a soup and buffett in the bar upstairs. They really prefer that no outside food is brought in. Within walking distance is an Arby's, Quizno's, a Chinese Place, KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut and a McDonald's (literally across the street).

So what do you guys think??What do I think? ... Where the $%^& are the ice cream shops?! :P

jazzpants
04-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Hope this helps!
Lori Osborne
Co-Chair
2005 US Adult Figure Skating Championships

So what do you guys think??From a foodie's perspective... Arby's and Quizno's are okay... but if I were you, I'd stick with the soup/buffett thing. ;) KFC and McD's is too greasy for me now (though I occasionally indulge in Mc'D breakfast burrito from time to time...) Can't say much about Chinese food except to say to go to this Chinese place only if there's a lot of Chinese poeple eating there. (It's often a sign of a good Chinese restaurant.) Taco Hell is disgusting!!! :evil:

If I wasn't allergic to dairy, I'm with NoVa Sk8r on the ice cream too!!! :twisted:

Terri C
04-08-2005, 08:51 PM
My only fast food preference as of late is Chick Fil A!
I'd stick with the buffet!

daisies
04-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Taco Hell is disgusting!!!LOL, I practically live on Taco Bell. I love it.

My only fast food preference as of late is Chick Fil A!I love Chick Fil A! There needs to be more of those around. Until recently I was calling it Chick A Fil ... I kept reading it wrong!

Beccapoo2003
04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Chick Fil A is da bomb. I go through the drive-through almost every day after I skate. There's one right by the rink. Their diet lemonade is the best ever! Hmmmmm.....maybe even better to spike it with a vodka nip!? :yum: How appropriate, there will be vodka nips there anyway! Kool!
Becca

Mrs Redboots
04-09-2005, 05:41 AM
LOL, I practically live on Taco Bell. I love it.Husband said he went last time he was in KC and hated it.... Worse, he said, than Macdos.

I love Chick Fil A! There needs to be more of those around. Until recently I was calling it Chick A Fil ... I kept reading it wrong!Again, not a chain I know. We were talking this morning and have decided we are looking forward to trying Arby's roast beef sandwiches at some stage during the competition!

sk8er1964
04-09-2005, 11:15 PM
We were talking this morning and have decided we are looking forward to trying Arby's roast beef sandwiches at some stage during the competition!

I think the Beef and Cheddars are the best sandwich they have. JMHO :lol: !

skaternum
04-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Again, not a chain I know. We were talking this morning and have decided we are looking forward to trying Arby's roast beef sandwiches at some stage during the competition!I think you're going to be really disappointed. It's just a fast food chain -- nothing special. My husband referred to them as "thin gray meat on a bun." Being more verbal, I call them "taupe." :lol:

skaternum
04-10-2005, 08:15 AM
How about this? Let's plan on having the bring-your-own-food dinner at 7:30ish on Friday night in Rink A. We can eat and enjoy the Masters Interp Ladies I event, then switch over to Rink B to see the Gold Dance Final Round at 8:30 if we want. (I know we have dance fans here.)

I think the only people that excludes are manleywoman and techskater (whom we'll be watching), plus the Championship Gold Men who will probably be preparing (whom we'll also be watching). Guys: come say hi if you can!!

Just in case, though, check the message board. There's usually a place where you can leave messages for people. If something changes, one of us instigators (Annabel or me or Loops/NoVa) will leave a message addressed to Skatingforums. Sound okay?

Beccapoo2003
04-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Sounds good! I'll bring the nips and the underwear flag. ;)
I'm so excited! :D :D :D
Adult skaters rock! (head banging)
Becca

skaternum
04-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Sounds good! I'll bring the nips and the underwear flag.
Becca, I've already got an underwear banner, if you want to use that. Remember from Peach? Hee hee!

Beccapoo2003
04-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Skaternum, that underwear banner is awesome!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Becca

manleywoman
04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I'll make sure to say hello at the very least! (clap loudly for me...I haven't done interp in years!)

icecatepairs
04-11-2005, 01:33 AM
ok i will join you ...butfrom the ice...i am also in masters interp 1. thats ok ..if i skatie instead of eat...then my partner can do more lifts...hey wait...gold pairs is thursday...i get to have a cabohydrate on friday...join you guys after i skate...in my silly outfit. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2005, 05:03 AM
.i get to have a cabohydrate on friday... Is this the latest euphemism for vodka nip????

flo
04-11-2005, 08:55 AM
I've made the flags. I figured that we all have various club colors, so the flags are pretty colorful. Introduce yourself and pick up a flag! I'll be there Wenesday am.

skaternum
04-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Cool, flo! They sound great!!

Isk8NYC
04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Until recently I was calling it Chick A Fil ... I kept reading it wrong!

Don't doubt yourself Daisy.

Chick Fil A sells decent (although very salty) chicken patties. Their oddity is that on every Sunday, every store is closed nationwide. They put up a sign explaining this and I swear that it had "Chick A Fil" as the name. Until I met with their organization, I thought they just bought misspelled signs.

About eight years ago, I worked for a corporate retail chain that wanted to look into franchises, so I met with the local rep. At the time, their Corporate name was different from the Store names. Maybe it's changed now, but it was maddening.

Raine
04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
I'll join the flag-waving crew on Friday night--thanks to everyone involved in arranging this!

Raine

Terri C
04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
ok i will join you ...butfrom the ice...i am also in masters interp 1. thats ok ..if i skatie instead of eat...then my partner can do more lifts...hey wait...gold pairs is thursday...i get to have a cabohydrate on friday...join you guys after i skate...in my silly outfit. :lol:

I may not know much about pairs, but I'd get my pair partner to get dinner for me if I had one! :) :idea:

Michigansk8er
04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I've made the flags. I figured that we all have various club colors, so the flags are pretty colorful. Introduce yourself and pick up a flag! I'll be there Wenesday am.

Thanks Flo. I'll catch up with you Wednesday morning.

flo
04-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi all,
I have about a dozen flags, and am leaving for the airport soon. I got in a very brief practice this am, and had a reasonable one at Saturday. At one point my boot was unlaced (as I was running through my program). It felt odd, but then, my boots are mush anyway!