View Full Version : Interesting skating dreams?

mikawendy
03-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Has anyone here had any interesting/funny/bad dreams about skating?

Long before I took the pre-bronze moves test for the first time, I once dreamed that I was doing the forward alternating three turns and the judges were on the ice, checking the tracings like they would for a figures test. Oy!

Magz
03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
I once dreamed that they were doing a fluff piece for a competition with Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir and Kurt Browing. In it, Tessa and Scott were pretending to teach Kurt how to skate, and he was acting like he couldn't. Then at the end, they all do a double jump at the same time and they show Tessa getting Kurt Browning to try skating backwards and he does and she says, "Good, I appreciate you trying". It was really weird :lol:

AnnM
03-30-2005, 06:15 PM
I once had a dream that San Francisco had a very unusual cold spell and that the streets had frozen over! I distinctly recall that in my dream, I skated my way to school and even stopped at a red light. How crazy is that?

jazzpants
03-30-2005, 06:53 PM
I once had a dream that San Francisco had a very unusual cold spell and that the streets had frozen over! I distinctly recall that in my dream, I skated my way to school and even stopped at a red light. How crazy is that?I wouldn't mind going to school like that -- except... my high school is up on a hill!!! Kinda hard to get to school if I'm going on an incline...(same with going back home... WHOA, Nelly!!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

skaternum
03-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh, yeah. I've had lots of weird dreams that were either about or involved skating in some way. They often involve a suspension of the laws of physics, or they involve me finally "getting" some element I've had trouble with. For example, in a recent dream, I had a pairs lesson with a former pairs world medalist and finally got a good split twist!

iskatealot
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
I have had the typical dream on the night before a competition where I can see myself landing whatever jump has been giving me trouble. Ialso had a dream that I was one of the girls from the Silver Blades books (which used to be myfav books about 4-5 years ago) and the dream pretty much followed the plot of one of the books and I got2 go away and skate at a training center that was really amazing and I was skating with Elvis and Tara. it was a strange strange dream

MannyisHOT
03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
my dream was basically like iskatealot's. It was the night before my competition and I had just seen Christopher Mabee skate his live LP and it was fabulous! I had also watched Jeff's and I dreamt I landed my axel in the competition!

dbny
03-30-2005, 10:50 PM
I dream all the time of flying across the ice doing perfect threes, both directions, both edges. It's right out of my adolescent roller dance days. Sometimes I try to bring the dream feeling onto the ice with me as positive reinforcement.

Mrs Redboots
03-31-2005, 04:30 AM
Skating has turned into a major feature of my anxiety dreams - in my dreams, I can't tell you how many competitions I've been to where I've had no programme ready, or no music, or no costume; how many rinks I've been to that had either no ice or really weird ice - or ice that turned to water, so you swam your programme, not skated it.....

Oh well, I suppose it's better than dreaming I've started smoking again (such a relief to wake up from that one!), or that I'm in the pulpit with no service prepared.....

MannyisHOT
03-31-2005, 06:23 AM
One time I dreamt that Emanuel Sandhu was skating at my clubs carnival and he stayed at my house and he slept in my bed! It was a great dream!

PattyP
03-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Skating has turned into a major feature of my anxiety dreams - in my dreams, I can't tell you how many competitions I've been to where I've had no programme ready, or no music, or no costume; how many rinks I've been to that had either no ice or really weird ice -

I'm so glad I'm not alone on this one! I have these dreams quite frequently too leading up to a competition! Mostly the no costume one, or I sometimes dream that I show up 30 minutes after my event due to a number of strange things that prevent me from getting to the rink.

TimDavidSkate
03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Sometimes I dream that I would start a program during competition and the ice melts rapidly and I would just be standing on top of the concrete.
......or it would turn into a swimming pool

- Other dreams, I would be rushing into a competition and would miss it. :frus: That's so scary for me. (That's why for years I would arrive at competition at least 2 hours before my event)

dbny
03-31-2005, 08:06 PM
- or ice that turned to water, so you swam your programme, not skated it.....

I had forgotten until I read this, that I dreamed I showed up for my regular Monday afternoon freestyle followed by a group I teach, only to find that the rink was a swimming pool. I was pretty disappointed, and upset that no one had told me of the change of plans. When I woke, I figured that the dream came from the fact that the beginner kids often think there is water under the ice and some have even expressed a little worry about the ice breaking through, and one even asked if there were sharkes under the ice.

Melzorina
04-01-2005, 05:40 AM
I once had a truly demented dream.

I dreamt that my instructor was dancing with another woman (someone who he teaches in real life) but in my dream they were married, and there was a big machine on the ice and they kept tripping over it. So after about the 5th time that they tripped over this big machine, the woman decided to go and have a look at what it was, and there were cogs all over it winding and making an awful racket and she fell into it, and got squished by all these cogs and she came out at the other end, dead but had been squished into a neat shape, and someone just said "Oh look, there's his wife".

sk8pics
04-01-2005, 07:23 AM
When I was at my last competition, I had a 6 AM practice that my coach was going to come to, too. I dreamt that it was already a few minutes after 6 and I was up, but just couldn't get my act together enough to leave the room and get over to the rink, and I just kept thinking, "Oh, I'm late, I'm late! He's gonna kill me!" Needless to say, I kept waking up checking the time to make sure this didn't actually happen! :roll: Didn't get a very restful sleep. But I did make it to the practice, and so did my coach, LOL.

Figureskates
04-01-2005, 07:53 AM
I had this one about three years ago after coming home from a week of skating at Lake Placid and finishing off an Onion and Green pepper pizza and three Guinnesses.

I went to a skating school in India. The rink was like in a subway tunnel because you had to go down this long flight of dimly lit metal stairs. The ice surface itself was poorly lit with bare lightbulbs hanging down from the ceiling. The instructor was Irina Slutskya who spoke only Russian and I was the only student there who wasn't Asian. Nobody understood English or Russian.

flo
04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Most of mine are about the ease of landing doubles and axels. They are so natural and effortless! Also a strange thing is that many of the skating dreams are at pools!

kittie067
04-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I had a dream that I was doing a skating "show" but there wasnt any ice! so instead i just did what I could without the ice. Then there was some girl (I don't know her) rolling around the floor! It was really weird!

of course Ive had the dreams where Im in a white dress skating to "the swan", landing triples and God knows what else! :D (I wish!)

~kittie

Mel On Ice
04-01-2005, 04:47 PM
lots of times!

After Skate America '99, I had a dream that I was on a blind date with Takeshi Honda - and I don't even find him attractive. We went out for sushi and bowling. He was also wearing the see-through orange shirt that Chenjang Li wore that season and I asked why he borrowed the shirt.

I kicked my husband landing an axel in a dream. It was a strange physical sensation, I could feel my body doing the jump.

Then there was the dream that producers saw me skating at the rink and asked me to skate in a Christmas show with Dorothy Hamill and Tonia Kwiatkowski (that Angel thing a few years ago). I was dressed in these Victorian clothes and still managed a salchow and a stag jump.

The anxiety dreams before competitions and testing are the worst, and based on actual events. The nightmare skate sharpening from the Kathy Casey seminar keeps coming back, the one where the sharpener treated my skates like hockey skates. Oh, and the time I stepped in gum that got wrapped around my blades just as my synchro team was about to take the ice.

Michigansk8er
04-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I have great delayed axels in my dreams. Boy oh boy is that a dream!!!!! :lol:

I definitely need to revamp my skating dream life to something more entertaining.

Terri C
04-01-2005, 06:20 PM
I've had a couple of good ones in the last week or so:

The first one, I had traveled to Long Island to take my Bronze MIF test at Coach #2's club. Despite the reskate on the power 3's, I passed!

This past week (actually Wednesday night) I dreamed that I was actually at AN and meeting a boatload of people and having a blast!

Skate@Delaware
04-01-2005, 08:26 PM
I had a dream once that I was in skate class and teacher asked us for a waltz jump and I did a double axel. When she was done being astounded, she asked me to do another jump-my choice-so I did a double salchow. Of course, it was just a dream because I can't even do a single jump at this point. But it was a nice dream and it sure made me feel good! :D

jazzpants
04-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I had one where I was at AN and was looking thru ALL the ladies dressing rooms for my skates... (it was a LARGE ice arena too!!!) and of course, I only had 10 minutes before I go on the ice for my event... :frus: (Thank goodness it was all a dream...) :)

icenut84
04-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I think the weirdest dream I ever had was that Jayne Torvill (of Torvill & Dean) was a member of the Spice Girls, and skating was just something she did on the side!! In my dream, they were at the 94 Olympics, skating around in their costumes before starting their free dance. An orchestra (!) came onto the ice and set up, with red & black rugs/sheets as a background for them and as walkways. Then the Spice Girls came on, and Jayne left Chris to go and join them for a performance (on a rug on the ice, still in her skates), and they were just doing this weird dance with their hands. Chris was just standing there - obviously skating wasn't her main career, so he was abandoned during the Olympics in favour of pop music.

Very odd.

sk8joyful
06-13-2005, 10:19 PM
my Skating-dreams are in full color and sound, and just plain fun !
In them,
I am with my Sweety pair-skating, and each our moves we skate with the greatest of ease. (no accidents ever happen) Heavenly !

LUCID-dreaming guides our dreams, for helping us create the kind of future(s) we want. How kewl is this ! ;)

jenlyon60
06-14-2005, 04:45 AM
A couple months ago (early March) I had been having problems with doing the intro-3 from a forward progressive sequence in the opening for the Tango. This had been an ongoing issue.

But for some reason I didn't have problems doing the turn from a straight edge entry or when the previous stroke was something like a cross-roll swing.

One night I dreamed of doing the Tango using the basic intro strokes that my coach normally uses for the American Waltz, only to the correct timing for the Tango. It was very vivid, especially because I rarely remember what I dream.

So the next day when I had my lesson, I said "humor me, I want to try this." And it worked. And has worked ever since.

So for Pro-Am this past weekend, we modified my intro for the Paso to change the order of the steps so I could do the LFO3 from a straight edge before hand, instead of from a progressive. And it worked.

--jsl

FrankR
06-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Hello all,

I tend to have a recurring skating dream in which I attempt a triple flip over and over again. In the dream, I get it all the way around every time but I always, ALWAYS two-foot the landing. :lol:

I have no idea why I dream this. It's been a long time since I've even attempted a double flip and right now my coach and I are focusing on double toe an double sal.

Strange. :P

Frank

Casey
06-16-2005, 03:53 AM
I have no idea why I dream this. It's been a long time since I've even attempted a double flip and right now my coach and I are focusing on double toe an double sal.
It's because your subconscious is smarter than you - it knows that you will get the triple flip in time, but that it takes time to learn, so it's giving you a head start! ;)

Shinn-Reika
06-18-2005, 12:21 AM
I keep having this dream of someone I know going to the olympics. It's odd though, she doesn't have a chance. MAybe it's because I think she underestimates herself.