View Full Version : How often do you get to the rink?

aussieskater
03-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Reading the various threads over the past little while (cracked or chocolate, purr or hairball etc), it's dawned on me that many of you seem to be able to skate 4-6 times a week, with private lessons maybe 2 or 3 times from different coaches. I'd love to know how often each of you skates and has a lesson, and also whether you're an adult or standard track skater, just for comparison to down here.

I'll start - I'm an adult beginner (and when I say "beginner" I mean "beginner": can do barely decent fwd and back crossovers both ways, FO3s both ways, and thanks to adult synchro am picking up a heap of other footwork like back COEs, FI3's, various mohawks and other stuff. Can do none of it competently yet, but it's coming. So is Christmas. 2025.).

I skate 3-4 times a week when I can for 1-1.5 hours a time, and have 1-2 half-hour lessons, depending on finance etc. Ice is expensive here ($15 to get in each time), while lessons are the standard $30 per 30 min.

How does this compare to you?

Chico
03-27-2005, 11:52 PM
I try to skate five days a week. Mornings, when my children are in school. This does depend on what is going on with my family. Sick children, medical visits, and no school days do impact this. I take weekends off to spend time with my family. I usually skate for an hour or an hour and a half at a time. I take one 30 min. lesson a week. Level? Well, I'm sorta all over the board. =-) I'm "good" compared to some, hanging in there compared to others. I have made good progress and continue to learn. Have fun and enjoy playing. =-)

Chico

NickiT
03-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I skate three times a week amounting to 6 hours in total, and I take two private half hour lessons per week.

Nicki

jazzpants
03-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Let's see... this is what I've been doing as of late...

Monday-Wednesday nights 1.5 hrs each session
Wed morning and Thursday afternoon 45 minutes each session (warmup and lesson...)
Sat. and Sun. 1.5 hrs. each session.

That adds up to about... oh, 7.5 hours a week... and I'm already tired too!!! I'm trying to get to the gym about 3 times a week in addition now, but I'm managed 1-2 times a week as of late b/c I just got hit with personal stuff on days that I normally would be working out at the gym. :( How do you guys who skate over 12 hrs. a week plus cross training managed??? I can't do that stuff anymore... :(

samba
03-28-2005, 02:11 AM
3.5 hours per week, no wonder I'm not as good as you guys :oops:

jenlyon60
03-28-2005, 04:36 AM
M/W/F 2 hours per session; maybe one other day if the knees can deal with it.

I skate early morning before work usually, except sometimes on Friday it's after work.

I take a lesson each time I skate also. Currently Monday is Tango day, Wednesday is Starlight Waltz day and Friday is Paso day.

Scarlett
03-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Wow! Reading everyone else's replies it seems I don't skate enough. I skate twice a week. Usually a 30 minute group lesson and then a 30 minute practice on saturday and one 45 minute freestyle during the week. I am a student so I have little money and little free time. I look forward to when I graduate and will have both time and money. I am an ISI skater (no USFSA track).

Melzorina
03-28-2005, 07:06 AM
I skate once a week for 8 hours, with one group lesson and one private lesson.

phoenix
03-28-2005, 07:18 AM
I skate 5 days a week, occassionally 6, usually for an hour each time. I take one 1/2 hour lesson a week, but starting in April I'm going to 2 lessons a week! Can barely afford it, but going to try.

I'm a dancer, working on silver/pre-gold.

iskatealot
03-28-2005, 07:39 AM
I skate Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday and Sunday. That usually makes about 12 1/2 - 13 hours a week. I usually get a lesson each time Im on ice, though sometimes its just a 15 minute dance lesson with our dance coach, and occasionally a jump lesson with another girl at the same level as me

Maryeb44
03-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and adult skating in general and am fascinated by how many of you find time to skate! Right now, I am skating only on public sessions, just trying to get some of my former skills back. The traveling for my job is such that I have a hard time doing anything formal with skating right now, but hopefully that will change in a few months.

In the meantime, I am glad that my old skates still fit!

Mary E.

nerd_on_ice
03-28-2005, 08:01 AM
I skate 5-6 hours a week including 2 half-hour lessons. I keep saying I'm trying to bump it up to 8 hours a week but that pesky thing called "real life" keeps intervening... :giveup:

MusicSkateFan
03-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Lets see.
5x a week to include a 20 min lesson with Ice coach. Sometimes I add a jump lesson on inline skates. That's a good amount I guess.

tidesong
03-28-2005, 09:23 AM
I am skating once a week for 3 hours each at the moment because it is school busy season (project dues and exams). But just a bit earlier before competition I was skating three times a week with two 3 hours and one 1 hour sessions.

PattyP
03-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I skate 4 days per week, 50 min or 1 hr each session. I have 3-20 minute lessons each week. I wish I could skate more, but my work schedule doesn't allow me to and I can't seem to get up at 4:15 more that 3 times a week. :roll:

I also run 15-20 miles per week to keep my cardio up and weight down.

Clarice
03-28-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm at the rink 6 days out of 7, and skate 1-2 hours a day, with two 20-minute lessons a week - one with my regular coach and one with a coach/choreographer. My ice time is free, since I'm a learn-to-skate instructor at our rink, but lest you think I'm getting off easy: my daughter also skates, 6 days a week, 2 hours a day, with 5 lessons a week. That's the reason I skate so much, actually - I'm there anyway, and would rather be working out than watching. We also usually take a weekly ballet class for skaters, but we're on hiatus at the moment since our ballet teacher is in England helping rehearse an ice show there.

coskater64
03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I skate 5 days a week, 3 days @ 2 1/2 hours and 2 days @ 3 1/4 hours. I have 5-- 1/2 hour fs lessons a week w/ one changing into a f move lesson usually. I also have 2 --3/4 hour dance lessons a week. I also do pilates 2 hours a week to help my flexibility and core. But I do nothing else, other than ice all the sore spots when I can.

la :D

TimDavidSkate
03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
whenever competition time gets close. I practice at least 45 minutes to an hour, with only one session a day. I don't like tiring myself out.

I do at least 2 to 3 passes each jump and spin/flying spins. Then run through my program at least 2 times, one without jumps and spins - only with footwork and etc. Then the second one with jumps spins and with footwork. :lol:

Figureskates
03-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I try to skate 5 to 10 hours a week. During the spring, summer, and fall I rollerblade 15 miles a day 4 to 6 days a week.

Since I'll be 60 next year I try to keep the blood flowing and not get a sludge buildup!! :) :) :)

TreSk8sAZ
03-28-2005, 02:24 PM
I skate five days a week, two hours a day. I also swim (when I can) and either run or play raquetball at night. I'm standard track solo dance and standard track freeskate (age 20)

Edited to add: I have two, 30 minute private lessons a week normally, three 30 minutes the week before a competition. Plus, our coach yells at the lot of us when we're doing something hideously wrong out of lesson.

crayonskater
03-28-2005, 02:39 PM
2 hours a day, four days a week. Weight training twice a week, and cardio the three days I don't skate.

Adult skater, who knows if I'll get into testing, but pre-bronze at this point, level-wise.

CaraSkates
03-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Most weeks I skate 5 days a week, for a total of 12.5 hours a week. This week, I'm skating 15 hours over 6 days because I have a competition (my first one!) on Sunday. I have one 30 min private lesson each week, a 30 min freesskate 1-6 group lesson and a 30 min basic 6/7/8 group lesson (trying to finish the last basic level this session). I've been skating for 11 months and am just starting competing at a No-Test level.

Justine_R
03-28-2005, 03:46 PM
I skate 3 times a week (M/W/SUN) for 2 hours each time.
I normally get a skills and a freeskate lesson but on wednesdays I also have a lesson with the dance coach.

I also take off-ice 2 times a week for an hour each time which is required soo...
2+2+2+1+1=8 hours a week....and I also coach the OSO Special Olympics kids too..but I didnt add that.

CanAmSk8ter
03-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I skate six days a week for a total of 10-12 hours. I have one private stretch class each week but I'm expected to do the exercises on my own in between. I'm not taking ballet right now, but I have on and off for about ten years, so I can do that on my own too (I have a portable barre in my room). I can use the gym at my university for free until I graduate, so I try to do that 2 or 3 times a week (I haven't made that goal lately :oops: )

Right now I have one 30-minute lesson a week but I need to talk to my coach about going back to two. During the summer when I'm competing I usually have three lessons a week.

kisscid
03-28-2005, 05:03 PM
I skate 2 days a week.
Wednesday night I start at 6:00 and skate until about 8. I have a group lesson on this night and a private lesson.
Saturday morning I have an edge work class, off ice conditioning, and hour freestle and another group lesson. I try to skate a public session on this day too, but sometimes my off ice conditioning class kicks my butt and I end up going home and napping :)
I am trying to add Sundays but things keep coming up. I haven't been able to get my lazy butt up in time to do the 5:30 am session before work.
Cid

sue123
03-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow, I feel so inadequate compared to a lot of you. I take 1 30 minute lesson, and bolt right after to make it to class the same time my professor walks in, and then about 2 hours on Friday, and another 2 hours on Sunday, for a total of 4.5 hours a week. But, it varies depending on when I have class, if i have an exam the day of my lesson, I'll usually cancel because I don't want to make the mistake of getting a concussion and taking an exam, like I had to do last semester. If I have a day off, and the rink is open, I'll go in for another 2 hours. But for two weeks, I'm going to be off the ice because the rink is closed the times I can make it due to some hockey tournament. So my chancces at going really vary.

froggy
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Wow how do some of you guys squeeze in so many hours of practice??? I wish I had more time to skate and rinks with longer hours, but for now I skate 2-3 times a week for 4-6 hours. With one private 30 minute lesson and one group 30 minute lesson.

I'm an adult beginner skater and loving it! And aussiskater don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure you are doing great, pace yourself to your own ability!

happy skating

the old gurl
03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm so jealous. The ice in our rink went out last Thursday. I am officially 'done' until September.

Rob Dean
03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Looks like I'm on the low side of average; I'm in a routine of about 6 hrs a week including one lesson. I could afford a little more time as far as money goes, but I'm trying (for some reason) to maintain one or two other things in my life and time is tight except on days when I'm already skating 2 hours. That's about the maximum my knees seem able to handle this month. If I had free choice I'd skate daily, 60-90 minutes.

Rob

Lives to skate
03-28-2005, 08:29 PM
6-7 days a week.
Mon 1 hour
Tues 4 hours
Wed 2 hours
Thur 1 hour
Fri off ice
Sat 8 hrs teaching and on ice practice
Sun 4 hrs on ice

total 20 per week. I guess I am on the ice more than anyone in the list.
It is easier to stay in shape when you don't get out of shape.
Of cousre some days are better than others and I don't always get to run through my programs, but I skate in 4 different rinks and that makes it easier to adjust to new suuroundings when competitions roll around. Ever been to a competition and not be able to find your bearings on the rink? Scarey!

Lives to Skate

jazzpants
03-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Ever been to a competition and not be able to find your bearings on the rink? Scarey!I get that every time I go on the ice!!! I guess I'm used to not having my bearings in the first place!!! :lol: :P :twisted:

Good Lord!!! 20 hours a week!?!?!? 8O 8O 8O If I ever hit the 10 hours a week, I'll probably be half dead by end of week!!! :giveup:

aussieskater
03-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Wow guys, I am stunned and seriously impressed (in a good way) :bow: . I can see that to improve I'll need to skate more - but finances and "real life" (family, work etc) seem to get in the way...not to mention finances! :lol:

Apart from the time issue, how do you all afford it (answer not required - I'm not trying to be nosy!) If I skated 5 days a week with 2 private lessons, it'd cost...let me see... *digs out calculator* ...nearly $150 per week. The budget can't afford that, unfortunately - it's hard enough to manage the amount I do skate. Hence the comment in my earlier post about my footwork competing with Christmas 2025 as to which one will arrive first. :P

jazzpants
03-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Wow guys, I am stunned and seriously impressed (in a good way) :bow: . I can see that to improve I'll need to skate more - but finances and "real life" (family, work etc) seem to get in the way...not to mention finances! :lol:

Apart from the time issue, how do you all afford itI spend about $110.90 per week on skating alone! I managed to work out my schedule so taht I take one of my lessons during a quieter public session in the early afternoons and by limiting my freestyle session to the requirement once an week. But I wonder whether for exchange of one of my busier public session that I would be better off skating wise to do another freestyle in place of one of the public sessions.

We'll see, I guess!!! As for "can I afford it?" Hubby would say "We probably can't afford you skating but would I rather have the money spent on the ice or at a shrink's office, I could see why economically that we have to keep you on the ice. :twisted: :P :lol: (And since HE ran up a large debt, we really can't afford ANYTHING -- not even food now!!!) :P

jenlyon60
03-29-2005, 04:43 AM
The early morning FS/Dance sessions at my rink are 2 for 1, for 40 minutes. Normal price with the rink's discount/debit card is $8 for 40 minutes. So my ice costs for the week are about $24. My coach costs are the biggie... one of my coaches charges $40/half hour, the other charges $32/half hour. So in any given week, I spend about $150 on coaching time.

After the June competition I'll go back to 2 lessons/week from primary coach and 1 lesson/week from secondary coach.

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Our rink has a scheme whereby you can pay a fixed sum per week and then skate as many patches (teaching ice sessions) as you want. But you have to pay for every week, even if you are on holiday. Some skaters pay their coach a fixed fee per week which covers ice, plus as many lessons as the coach has time for - we don't, we still pay for our lessons per lesson (husband has 15 minutes' private, and I have 30, plus we have 30 minutes' couples lesson).

We skate:
Sundays: Up to 2 hours, including 30 minutes' couples lesson & husband's 15-minute private lesson
Tuesdays: Husband skates up to 2 hours, me up to 2.5 (depending on the time of day and how tired we are - Tuesdays is an either/or day. This week, as our daughter was here, we're skating tonight; some weeks we skate in the mornings)
Wednesdays: Husband skates up to one hour, me up to 2.5 including 30-minute private lesson
Thursdays: 1-2 hours each, including one hour's social dancing
Fridays: Husband may skate up to one hour, me up to 2.5

In addition, we *sometimes* skate Saturday mornings, occasionally Mondays for up to 2 hours at another rink, and once a month 2 hours at still another rink (including 1.5 hours' social dancing!) on a Wednesday evening.

Husband commented that Sunday was his 13th day of skating without a rest-day! I said he was quite, quite mad..... but there you are, I'm not much better!

phoenix
03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
When I go up to 2 lessons a week, I'll be spending $113.50 a week on skating (including ice). Also not including gas, since the rink is an hour away.

I also coach & teach group classes, & my income from skating pretty much covers my costs for skating (not including tests/dresses)---so in that way it's kind of a wash.

I don't do much else--don't buy new clothes much, rarely take a trip or go out to a show, etc. I just skate--but the thing is, that's what I want to do, so I'm happy!

nerd_on_ice
03-29-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm lucky 2 ways: one, I skate mostly on near-empty morning public sessions and two, my husband pays for one of my two lessons each week. My weekly skating expenses are roughly $75:
2 half-hour lessons @ $30 each = $60
1 freestyle session (one of my lessons is on a freestyle): $9 (contract rate)
Public skating: $5 per week, approximately--I have an annual pass which is $250 for the year. That was a big chunk of change but worth it for me since I have a flexible schedule and the pass is good at 5 different rinks. Normally, admission to a public session is $6. I got the pass in October. It "paid for itself" a long time ago!

Now to go to the rink and work on depreciating these Klingbeils! :lol:

froggy
03-29-2005, 05:19 PM
hmmm how much do I spend well about $75 which includes 1 private and 1 group lesson. This does not include gas in which case the rinks I go to are each about 15 miles away from home. Now how do I afford it, well I think of it as the one splurge I have weekly and as necessary to upkeep my health and sanity :o). I'm a therapist so actually I just take on extra cases when I need the money, luckily it's a field thats needed and I could be quite flexible with my schedule.

icedancer2
03-29-2005, 05:26 PM
My regular schedule is something like: MWF -- usually 90 minute sessions. I usually do about 30 minutes of figures and an hour of dance/moves/basics/stroking/gossipping.

Saturday OR Sunday -- one hour dance session

Sunday morning -- 1 hour patch.

1 half-hour lesson/week with my coach who teaches all of the above -- I pay her $30 and she teaches me for however long she wants (we tend to talk a lot!). I've told her a million times I can only afford a half-hour, and I guess it's okay with her that she gives me extra time. (Am I lucky or what?)

So I spend about $55-60/week for lessons and ice-time. I would like to add a another lesson with a male dance coach for partnering/tests/ but so far that ain't happening around here!

It's nice to live in an area where people are pretty casual about ice-time, lessons, etc., and where the morning public sessions are usually the same 5-6 adults.

On the other hand, it would be fun, I think, to live in an area where there is a good training center.... -- oh well, can't have both, I guess.

aussieskater
03-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Our rink has a scheme whereby you can pay a fixed sum per week and then skate as many patches (teaching ice sessions) as you want. But you have to pay for every week, even if you are on holiday. Some skaters pay their coach a fixed fee per week which covers ice, plus as many lessons as the coach has time for - we don't, we still pay for our lessons per lesson (husband has 15 minutes' private, and I have 30, plus we have 30 minutes' couples lesson).

Our one local rink has a similar system, but the fixed price is not "per week" but "per quarter (ie: 3 months)", and is, I think, now well over $500 per quarter (I'm not sure of the price - it's a while since I looked, did the maths and gasped 8O ). It runs only from the 1st day of Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct, and only until the last day of the third month following (Mar/Jun/Sep/Dec). If you want to start a quarterly part-way through, they charge heaps more pro-rata.

Therefore it's not economic unless you are able to average more than 4 sessions a week for the whole of the quarter, even allowing for holidays and weeks you might otherwise not skate.

What's more, the quarterly only allows entry to public ice, not "private" sessions, which are sessions where only skaters who are being coached can skate (there are no general public skaters on private sessions) I'm guessing that you might call these "freestyle" sessions. So unless you are able to skate 5 day a week at the quieter public sessions (generally the lunchtime ones when everyone is at work - maybe earning money to skate!! :D ), it's not economic.

I haven't heard here of any coaches accepting a "flat fee" except maybe at the seriously elite level, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen - just that I don't know about it, and can say that my coach doesn't do it!

I have heard of a weekly ticket system for the coaches here, where they pay a certain sum per week (maybe $130-150?), and then can skate for themselves or teach for pay during whatever sessions they want, but that doesn't apply to us general skaters.

aussieskater
03-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Public skating: $5 per week, approximately--I have an annual pass which is $250 for the year. That was a big chunk of change but worth it for me since I have a flexible schedule and the pass is good at 5 different rinks. Normally, admission to a public session is $6. I got the pass in October. It "paid for itself" a long time ago!

Now to go to the rink and work on depreciating these Klingbeils! :lol:

Wow, only $250 for the whole year?? 8O That's amazing - like I said in my post above, our pass (good for only certain sessions at only one rink) costs almost 10 times that much! Yes, I can imagine the pass would have paid for itself a long time ago - if ours were only that much, I think I'd have paid for mine in about 2 weeks! :P

Casey
03-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Recently, I've been making it on the weekends and here and there during the week because I've been helping a friend work on his house during the weekdays...I'm a bit ashamed of how little practice I've been getting in in the last 2-3 weeks.

When I was working full time, I would go to all of the evening and weekend public sessions, which totalled up to 14.5 hours a week.

My record is 31 hours, I don't think I could skate any more than that.

My average these days, when I'm not otherwise occupied, is about 20 hours.

I currently have one 30-minute lesson per week. I have seriously thought about adding in a second lesson, but I simply cannot afford it. Of course, I really can't afford to be skating/lessoning as much as I am anyways, but I somehow find a way. ;-)

Not a clue as far as level - I can jump the waltz, toe loop, salchow, and half flip, and occasionally manage a 3-4 rotation spin (my spins are crap though, and it's rare that I get a good one). I can do all the forward and backward 3-turns, mohawks, and crappy spread eagles, but I can't do brackets or pivots very well. My backward edges are also a catastrophe, but the forward ones have gotten pretty good. I'm not happy with my skills yet, but I think I'm progressing at a pretty good rate.

Casey
03-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Wow, only $250 for the whole year?? 8O That's amazing

Yes it is!!! Last time I paid money at the rink, it was $268 for both a 20 public session card and 20 freestyle session card...and that's a significant amount cheaper than buying the sessions individually...

the old gurl
03-30-2005, 10:32 AM
My ice for the 'year' (late September to last week) was about $450 (Cdn) for 5 hours each week. My lessons came to about $14/week. I didn't test or anything this year, but I did partner a couple times at another club. That cost me $16 each time, which included the partner's mileage, his time (roughly 10 min or so), and the ice time (1.5 hours).

Canadian clubs either have their own rinks (like the Royal Glenora, etc), or buy their ice in blocks from municipalities and then divvie it up for their various programs. Skaters buy the ice from the clubs. Trying to figure skate on public sessions up here is usually not allowed.

coskater64
03-30-2005, 01:14 PM
When I first started skating about 4 1/2 years ago I bought a pass for the rink at CU Boulder, it was 165 for the year and all the public sessions, which were about 4-8 hours a day. That was such a deal, I really miss it but the rink is small 185 x80 so I can't even fit my moves in the rink. Now it's just scary expensive 18 x 5.50 per week, ouch!

la 8O

mikawendy
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
I aim for about 4 hours a week (more right before a test). I can't regularly do more than that without getting overuse injuries. I try to work out on Pilates apparatus once a week, but lately I've been so busy I've just been doing mat workouts at home. I run for cardio but my mileage is way down since I started skating (before skating, it was never that high--about 8 miles a week, max, but now it's like 2 or 3!)

and I always try to take one day a week completely off, and chocolate is a food group for me! ;)

NCSkater02
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
1 half-hour lesson/week with my coach who teaches all of the above -- I pay her $30 and she teaches me for however long she wants (we tend to talk a lot!). I've told her a million times I can only afford a half-hour, and I guess it's okay with her that she gives me extra time. (Am I lucky or what?)

Do you have the same coach that I have? She worked with me one day for at least an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half, and only charged me for 30 minutes ($22)

Ice time is 20 punches for $135 ($6.75/punch) For the most part, they are a full hour. When I'm skating, I do two FS sessions, sometimes a moves session (30 min) and a group lesson--which is usually like a private because I'm usually the only one in FS levels) That runs about $80 every two months, and I get a 10-punch card with it.

Hmmmm.....Seems I'm not spending nearly as much. Then again, I only get 3-4 hours per week.

icedancer2
03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Do you have the same coach that I have? She worked with me one day for at least an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half, and only charged me for 30 minutes ($22)

I kind of doubt it because I think you on the opposite coast from me -- but it looks like our prices for ice-time are somewhat similar, too!

I LOVE that my coach doesn't really watch the clock, at least most of the time. Of course, she doesn't have anyone after me either, so I guess I'm lucky that way. But she seems to give time to all of her students -- she will watch you while you are practicing and comment on it, or use me as an example for another student -- sometimes it turns into a "group lesson" -- most people appreciate it and don't mind being part of a group for small parts of their lesson because they know that she'll do the same thing for them while they are there just practicing.

I worry that she wants to retire... :cry:

froggy
03-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Wow 22 dollars for a 30 min session that goes over a lot that is a great deal. It seems like the going rate in my area is $40-54 dollars /30 minutes.

NCSkater02
03-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I LOVE that my coach doesn't really watch the clock, at least most of the time. Of course, she doesn't have anyone after me either, so I guess I'm lucky that way. But she seems to give time to all of her students -- she will watch you while you are practicing and comment on it

She does this too. Nothing like working on something before my lesson and hearing her tell me to pull in while she's working with E. My secondary coach is usually on ice during the same session and does the same thing. I wind up telling her this isn't her time, so I don't have to listen to her. :lol: I usually pay for it on my next "group" lesson.

doubletoe
03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I normally skate 6 hours a week: I skate a 1-hr early morning freestyle session 3 days a week before work, I skate an evening freestyle once a week, and I skate one weekend freestyle and one weekend public session. The total weekly cost for ice time is $42. I take two 30-minute lessons per week, at a cost of $40 each, so lessons cost $80 per week. So that's a total of $122 per week on skating.

Vash2003skate
04-04-2005, 01:17 AM
I skate once a week, for a one on one coaching session, and practise on my own. Unfortunately the rink and the schedules only allow me to do this once a week. In the past, in another city, I used to skate 3 or 4 times a week.

Lmpyjrhead
04-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I normally get the rink 4 times a week. Wed. Thur Fri. & Sat. Only 1 hour on Wednesday and Thursday. 2 hours on Friday. And 4 hours, on Saturday. I take a total of 1 hour of private lessons in 1 week, with 2 coaches.

doubleaxle05
04-11-2005, 06:38 AM
I skate 5 days a week, 2-3 one hour sessions a day, with a lesson every day but on Fridays I have two lessons because I have two coaches. :D

rf3ray
04-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey guys I'm from Perth Australia my iceskating times would be from

Sunday 6am-12:30pm
Monday 6am-9am
Wed 4pm - 6pm
Thur 12:30pm - 3pm
Fri 10am - 3 pm
Sat 8:15 - 10:15 and 1:30pm - 3:30pm

:-)

So about 23 hours a week for a full time student :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

windsor
04-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Wow, wow, wow - I wish I could skate as often as most of the rest of you do. I used to live closer to rinks and skated about 11 hours a week with one 1/2 hour lesson a week (I'd add on extra when I had the time and the money and my coach was able to do it).

Then, I moved and dropped down to about 5-6 hours a week still with my 1/2 hour lesson.

Now, hardly ever. It takes me an hour to get to all the rinks. But, that doesn't stop me sometimes. I'm probably not going to be able to skate hardly ever this summer, though I want to very badly, but my career goals are going to preven that. Maybe after the last week of July I can get going again! But, until then, other things take priority.

Skate@Delaware
04-29-2005, 02:25 PM
When my rink is open, my schedule looks like this:

Sunday: 2 hours club time, plus 2 hours at adult-only skate
Monday: 1 hour synchro
Thursday: 2 hours public (which is pretty empty except for the regulars)
Friday: 1 hour (lesson night)

Now it is closed until September, so now my schedule looks like this:

Sunday - Saturday: 0 hours

:cry:
I have to drive up to the Pond or further if I want to do anything (unless I want to roller skate 8O ) which is at least 1 hour away.

I might skate at The Pond on one or two Sunday public sessions a month (and drag the family along-hence the public session) and add an occasional mid-week drop-in session for myself. I didn't do any ice time over the summer last year and it took all of September just to get my crossovers back to a reasonable level of recognition.