View Full Version : State Games of America

luckeylasvegas
03-25-2005, 11:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone is going or has gone to the State Games of America ,this year it's in Colorado Springs in July?
My daughter qualified to go when she placed first in the Cal State Games, but her coach is leary of going because it's a blended USFSA/ISI competetion.
He would rather go to the world ISI in California.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with this event. :?:

Lenny2
03-31-2005, 09:31 PM
My skater has competed at SGA twice, and she had a great time both times. The quality of the skating at SGA will be much better than at any ISI competition (including "worlds"), and the groups will be much larger. In general, it is run mostly like a USFSA competition, not an ISI competition, so it depends what you are looking for. If your skater needs to have a ribbon or trophy to feel like the experience was a positive one, go to the ISI event. But, if your skater wants to be part of a large event, with quality skaters from all over the country, and is willing to risk being in a group of 15 skaters where he/she might come home without a prize, go to SGA. There are opening and closing ceremonies in which the athletes are invited to march, and there are other events going on in other sports as well. It is lots of fun.

twokidsskatemom
03-31-2005, 11:04 PM
I know that anyone who lives in Co can skate, otherwise you must have placed at your states games.
So can skaters who dont have state games go to another state to compete or must you live in the state itself?
Sounds like fun !!!

luckeylasvegas
04-01-2005, 02:14 AM
I only know that my daughter qualified in the Cal State Games and since we live in Las Vegas, NV. she would be representing Nevada. So I'm pretty sure you could compete in a neighboring state if yours did not have a competetion.

Clarice
04-01-2005, 07:57 AM
You would have to check the eligibility rules of the State Games you intend to enter. I live in one state, but compete in another state's Games because my home club is located in that state. In the State Games I participate in, you must live in the state, belong to a club in the state, or live in a listed neighboring county. You couldn't just come from anywhere and enter. I don't think that there are standardized rules yet from state to state, though. That's partly what makes this a little confusing. Some states offer different events from other states, and what they offer may or may not correspond exactly to what is offered at the State Games of America. For instance, my state doesn't offer any artistic events at all. When I competed at the first State Games of America, they offered open artistic events you could enter if you had not actually qualified at the state level. That may have changed by now, though, so that you can only enter events you actually qualified for. Read the rules carefully.

Lives to skate
04-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I have attended State Games in St. Louis twice and Connecticut last time. The competition is well described in the thread. I would like to add that they make the athletes feel important, like the Olympics. A lot of fanfare! Opening and closing ceremonies include athletes from all sports and quite elaborate in the past.

Although I would have to say the organization in Connecticut was very poor. Running out of medals, no photographer at one site and general lackof concern.

That is probably why they lost the bid to hold it again.

I think that the World Arena will be a perfect place to get the "experience".

The competition is fierce at all levels and the mixed format between ISI and USFSA causes a few problems for the judges. Especially between the Restricted and unrestricted catageories.

It is a shame they conflicted the dates with ISI and SGA. I have skaters in both competitions. They had to pick. I will be leaving ISI early to go to Colorado.

luckeylasvegas
04-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I have attended State Games in St. Louis twice and Connecticut last time. The competition is well described in the thread. I would like to add that they make the athletes feel important, like the Olympics. A lot of fanfare! Opening and closing ceremonies include athletes from all sports and quite elaborate in the past.

Although I would have to say the organization in Connecticut was very poor. Running out of medals, no photographer at one site and general lackof concern.

That is probably why they lost the bid to hold it again.

I think that the World Arena will be a perfect place to get the "experience".

The competition is fierce at all levels and the mixed format between ISI and USFSA causes a few problems for the judges. Especially between the Restricted and unrestricted catageories.

It is a shame they conflicted the dates with ISI and SGA. I have skaters in both competitions. They had to pick. I will be leaving ISI early to go to Colorado.

It's the same with our rink, one coach is going to SGA and the other is taking skaters to ISI. I would really like to go to SGA but I'm not sure how comfortable my daughter will be skating with her coach not there. She would also be leaving her compulsary team a person short so I guess we will be doing worlds. Maybe we'll go next year to get a little USFSA experience.

morganm
04-05-2005, 06:52 AM
It's a toughie decision. You can compette in tons of events at ISI Nats. I'm not exactly sure how many you can do besides the one you qualified in. Like if you quailified in free skating can you do dance, artistic and footwork too?

luckeylasvegas
04-05-2005, 12:17 PM
You can only compete in the events that you have qualified for in the restricted competition. I believe there is also an open side of the competition that anyone ( who has qulaified to be there or is a CO. resident) can compete
in.

lilj1969
04-08-2005, 05:40 PM
It's a toughie decision. You can compette in tons of events at ISI Nats. I'm not exactly sure how many you can do besides the one you qualified in. Like if you quailified in free skating can you do dance, artistic and footwork too?

I lifted this info from the State Games of America website. There are 2 types of events "Championship " & " Open ". "Championship" are for a skater who placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at their State Games level corresponding event however titled.

"Open" same as above except skater does want to compete in Champion ship event OR open to any skater already entered in the State Games of America.

Championship Events ;
Free Skate (Restricted or Unrestricted) Choice of One
Compulsories
Short Program
Synchronized Team Skating

Open Events ;
Showcase
Team Entertainment
Footwork
Solo Dance

Hope this helps

We were looking forward to the SGA and ISI Worlds this year, and were bummed out to see the conflict in scheduling. So we had to make a choice and decided to try something different and will be going to SGA in Colorado.