View Full Version : In Need of Music Help

Perry
03-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm probably getting new music some time in the near future. It's for a junior free. The problem is, I've skated to classical music for every single short and long program except one (pre-pre, when I skated to Casper...) and, much as I love classical music, I'm somewhat sick of skating to it. I'm not a huge fan of Broadway/musical music, and musical and classical music seem to consitute 99% of skating music. I was thinking something a little different, but everything I've considered has lyrics (for example, I really like Indian/Bollywood music, but it pretty much all has words). Also, I'm not a huge fan of anything overused (ie, Spanish or Irish music). Any suggestions for genres or specific pieces?

iskatealot
03-24-2005, 04:43 PM
There is always movie music if you can find something apropriate.

Mrs Redboots
03-25-2005, 06:27 AM
One of my coach's kids - actually, now I come to think of it, several of my coach's kids, but the one I'm thinking of must be at about the same level as you - have been skating to music from Forrest Gump.

Or how about jazz - Gershwin, for instance? (I love Gershwin, and would love to see it skated to more often!).

singerskates
03-25-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm probably getting new music some time in the near future. It's for a junior free. The problem is, I've skated to classical music for every single short and long program except one (pre-pre, when I skated to Casper...) and, much as I love classical music, I'm somewhat sick of skating to it. I'm not a huge fan of Broadway/musical music, and musical and classical music seem to consitute 99% of skating music. I was thinking something a little different, but everything I've considered has lyrics (for example, I really like Indian/Bollywood music, but it pretty much all has words). Also, I'm not a huge fan of anything overused (ie, Spanish or Irish music). Any suggestions for genres or specific pieces?

What about music from the Ring 2? Just go to Future Shop or another place that has those machines that can scan the CD's and lets you listen to the music that's on the CD without opening them. Then find the sound track section and have fun. You're most likely to find something.

snoopysnake
03-25-2005, 08:19 AM
How about some jazz? Try the soundtrack from A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi. There is even a song on it called "Skating."

Django Reinhardt was a Belgian jazz guitarist who influenced most of today's jazz and rock guitarists. There is all kinds of great jazz music in his recorded works. A dream piece of mine to see would be Django's "Tiger Rag" skated in an orange and black striped skating dress!

If you want something that rocks more, try some CD's by Emerson Lake & Palmer and Santana. They did a lot of great instrumentals, and even the songs with vocals have great instrumentals. Or try Jeff Beck (CD's There and Back, Blow by Blow, Wired, or Guitar Shop) for some really hard rock.

Also fun would be a blues instrumental by B.B. King.

sue123
03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
What about swing music? I've always loved it, it's fun to dance to, and skate to. There's loads of stuff out there, and you can always find a version without lyrics. The Swing Kids soundtrack has some good lyricless songs on it.

Michigansk8er
03-25-2005, 08:55 PM
I was planning to use Treasure Planet this year, and have a nice cut from it. There are lots of nice soundtracks out there, that aren't musicals. It just takes a lot of time to listen and find something that clicks. Good luck!

luckeylasvegas
03-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Try your libarary and check out Cd's that you wouldn't normally listen to.
I check out all kinds of music for my daughters programs to see if there is anything different we like, and it's free.

Tennisany1
03-26-2005, 05:09 PM
How about some jazz? Try the soundtrack from A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi. There is even a song on it called "Skating."

Django Reinhardt was a Belgian jazz guitarist who influenced most of today's jazz and rock guitarists. There is all kinds of great jazz music in his recorded works. A dream piece of mine to see would be Django's "Tiger Rag" skated in an orange and black striped skating dress!

If you want something that rocks more, try some CD's by Emerson Lake & Palmer and Santana. They did a lot of great instrumentals, and even the songs with vocals have great instrumentals. Or try Jeff Beck (CD's There and Back, Blow by Blow, Wired, or Guitar Shop) for some really hard rock.

Also fun would be a blues instrumental by B.B. King.

Amazon.com has a whole bunch of Django CD's and you can listen to clips from the tracks before you order.

Kit kat
03-26-2005, 06:49 PM
how about some fast tempo jazz music. something you can really just skate to and have fun with!

Perry
04-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks, everyone! I hadn't really thought about jazz, but that seems like it might be just different enough.

Petlover
04-02-2005, 03:38 PM
If you are thinking about jazz, try Spyrogyra, particularly a cut called Futurephobia. It is awesome, and fun to skate to. Good luck!