View Full Version : Crash pads?

Scarlett
03-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Has anyone here used crash pads? If so did they help? And if they did which brand would you recommend? My left hip is still upset from my attempts at the flip last week. I would like to not repeat that if possible.

Thanks!

dbuckley
03-24-2005, 04:54 PM
I use Garde Pads which I purchased from Rainbo Sports. I find them very helpful. I have fallen hard on both my hip and my tailbone and have only experienced minor bruising.

montanarose
03-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I love the Skating Safe hip and knee pads -- you can find them at www.skatingsafe.com.

They're very pricey but they last forever, are very comfy and relatively unobtrusive, as crash pads go :lol:

jazzpants
03-25-2005, 12:14 AM
I love the Skating Safe hip and knee pads -- you can find them at www.skatingsafe.com (http://www.skatingsafe.com/).

They're very pricey but they last forever, are very comfy and relatively unobtrusive, as crash pads go :lol: I second the vote for SkatingSafe as well too!!! Of course, these days, I've been hinted by both coaches to leave the crash pads off and "get over it." ("It" being the fear of falling and relying on hip pads, etc.) :lol:

Casey
03-25-2005, 02:18 AM
I agree with jazzpant's coaches - no crash pads!

The worst that happened to me was when I had hard falls on my left hip, not one, but three within four days. They always heal up though and feel better, so I've never bothered with any pads. I also almost never fall, and I think this is why. I see better skaters than I falling more, who are wearing crash pads. I tend to manage to throw a foot into the right spot or an arm out to balance just right to stop the fall - I pull off some of my best maneuvering when avoiding a fall ;-)

I've also noticed that even just having a cell phone or something in my pocket changes my balance a bit, so I'd be worried about the offset of the crash pads. But then, you're talking to somebody whom the old-timers at the rink call as fearless as a little kid . Not everyone has such a desire to break something I suppose ;-).

I have heard from other skaters that they really like the crash pads, and I would have saved myself a lot of pain in the beginning had I some hip and elbow pads, so if you do get some, good luck!