View Full Version : Cold Feet - Is It My Tights?

dbny
03-22-2005, 10:44 PM
I noticed this winter that my feet are cold even in my shoes if I am still wearing my skating tights. That made me think that maybe my tights had something to do with it. I wear the Jenskates brand and love them, but would switch if someone could recommend a really warm brand/model.

TashaKat
03-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I always wore Danskin 73 tights and it seemed to be the boots that determined how cold my feet got! Freezing cold in Risport and Belati, not quite so cold in Wifa and rarely cold in Harlicks :D As to having cold feet afterwards I found that if my feet got really cold at the rink it would take one heck of a time for them to warm up again afterwards.

Melzorina
03-23-2005, 04:48 AM
I wear Risports and my feet get cold (I wear mondor tights). Wear some ankle socks underneath.

When my feet get cold I just do a couple of laps and they soon warm up.

CaraSkates
03-23-2005, 06:11 AM
I wear Danskin tights and Riedell boots and my feet used to freeze everytime I went skating. Now, they only get cold if the rink is freezing and I'm there for four hours! The only thing I've changed-new boots that fit properly. Others were too big. I wear one pair footed, one footless and one over the boot. (footless is almost worn out completly.).

dbny
03-23-2005, 08:49 AM
When my feet get cold I just do a couple of laps and they soon warm up.[/QUOTE]

Can't do that when I'm teaching tots or a Basic Skills group. Too much standing around is the real problem, but I'm hoping someone knows of tights that might help.

Melzorina
03-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh yea, I forgot about that. My feet freeze when I help out. :(

LoopLoop
03-23-2005, 12:12 PM
My feet usually freeze when I'm teaching too, but I got the IceLight boot gloves for Christmas and they help immensely.

jenlyon60
03-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Have you tried getting a pair of legwarmers that you can pull down over most of the boot?

Or those neoprene bootcovers that I've seen some coaches wear?

dbny
03-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Have you tried getting a pair of legwarmers that you can pull down over most of the boot?

Or those neoprene bootcovers that I've seen some coaches wear?

I have the Ice Light neoprene boot covers and don't think they help much. Because I noticed that my feet are very cold in shoes too, when wearing the tights, I thought maybe there was a particular tights material that might help.

icedancer2
03-23-2005, 03:15 PM
WEll, I don't know what the materials your tights are made of, but it strikes me that man-made materials like nylon will be colder than cotton or wool or some of the "breathable man-made fibers (microfibers?).

I also think it's interesting that people say that it depends on the boots they wear, which make me think that the man-made materials are colder than just regular leather.

I don't know -- it makes for an interesting discussion. I usually wear very thin cotton socks with footless tights -- microfiber tights and usually stay pretty warm, but then again, I'm not standing around teaching or watching -- I get out there and move as much as possible!

skaternum
03-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Except for a few weeks in the summer when the outside temp is almost 100F, my feet are cold on the ice. It doesn't matter what boots I'm wearing. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. They're definitely worse if I'm moving less, but my hands & feet are always cold. It totally sucks! In the winter, when they're at their coldest, I wear the neoprene boot covers. They help, but I'm still cold. I've given up.

And when David & I were skating pairs last winter, I couldn't wear my traditional 2 pairs of gloves or my fleece pants. That was miserable sometimes!

LoopLoop
03-23-2005, 03:32 PM
And when David & I were skating pairs last winter, I couldn't wear my traditional 2 pairs of gloves or my fleece pants. That was miserable sometimes!

I've found that gloves are OK for practicing certain pair elements, in particular throws and pair spins. But lifts or death spirals, no way! I am looking forward to warmer weather for just that reason!

skaternum
03-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I've found that gloves are OK for practicing certain pair elements, in particular throws and pair spins. But lifts or death spirals, no way! I am looking forward to warmer weather for just that reason!David has pulled my glove off a couple of times in exits from pair spins. It was pretty funny!

jazzpants
03-23-2005, 05:15 PM
David has pulled my glove off a couple of times in exits from pair spins. It was pretty funny!LOL!!! :lol:

Another one of jazzpants' skating quirks: I wear weight lifting gloves with the wrist protection. The wrist straps may come off but never the glove... it's on really tight!!! Of course, your fingertips aren't protected either. But for the most part, my hands usually stay warm.

(However, I have tested it in NYC weather and I would NOT recommend going to NYC during the Christmas season w/o really good pair of gloves that protect the fingertips too...OVER my usual weight lifting gloves!!!) :lol: :P

mdvask8r
03-23-2005, 08:01 PM
The biggest contributor to cold feet, especially toes, is your blades. You are standing on two big plates of metal - just about the best conductor of cold that there is. So particularly when you stand still alot (teaching) the cold is transferred right thru the sole of your boots to be absorbed by your poor toes.

For teaching I've experimented with the chemical toe warmers available in sporting goods stores, but they are not quite thin enough to be comfortable inside my skate & tend to make my feet cramp. Some people will stick them to the outside of the boot, either on top of the toes or under the ball, and use OTB tights or boot covers to help hold them in place. I'm planning to experiment with these placements during next week's classes.

SDFanatic
03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
I'll give my 2c on this.

I like Danskins, I think they keep me warmer then the Mondors and deffinitly don't run as easily. At times I will wear two pairs of Danskins or one pair with Mondor footless woolie tights.

Usually my feet are pretty good for at least three hours or so, I find this can vary a bit in depending on other attire. Believe it or not, I think me feet tend to get colder when I dress warmer.

Of course I'm usually skating and you said you were just standing about, but I know some nights when I'm sleeping that my feet were cold if I tried to wear socks, and warmer when I took them off.

Course I'm strange and that may be the whole answer for me and not work for you.

Steven

dbny
03-24-2005, 12:57 AM
The biggest contributor to cold feet, especially toes, is your blades. You are standing on two big plates of metal - just about the best conductor of cold that there is. So particularly when you stand still alot (teaching) the cold is transferred right thru the sole of your boots to be absorbed by your poor toes.

I agree, and would love to see someone make boots with 1000 gram thinsulate lining, including in the soles. That's what hunters use, and they have to stand in the cold for hours on end.

As for gloves, I wear wool gloves outside and love them. Inside, the plain knit $1 gloves are usually fine, but there have been a few times when I've wished for my wool gloves indoors too. In my Monday afternoon Basic 2/3 class, my fingers were painfully cold and I asked my class if their hands were cold too. They were, so we all gave ourselves a big round of applause :lol:

Thin-Ice
03-24-2005, 03:41 AM
For teaching I've experimented with the chemical toe warmers available in sporting goods stores, but they are not quite thin enough to be comfortable inside my skate & tend to make my feet cramp. Some people will stick them to the outside of the boot, either on top of the toes or under the ball, and use OTB tights or boot covers to help hold them in place. I'm planning to experiment with these placements during next week's classes.

My coach uses the chemical warmers. One of her other students made bootcovers that have a pocket on the inside for the coach's warmers. :idea: Now the warmers stay put and keep the coach's feet very happy. That student considered it a good investment, because a coach with cold feet isn't as happy as one with warm feet. The coach says the warmers last at least 4 hours.. so she can get through all her Saturday classes without having cold feet.

jazzpants
03-24-2005, 10:24 AM
My coach uses the chemical warmers. One of her other students made bootcovers that have a pocket on the inside for the coach's warmers. :idea: Now the warmers stay put and keep the coach's feet very happy. That student considered it a good investment, because a coach with cold feet isn't as happy as one with warm feet. The coach says the warmers last at least 4 hours.. so she can get through all her Saturday classes without having cold feet.Man! I want one of those when I was in NYC. :lol: That student should consider making a bunch of those to sell! She might have a good side business there!!! :mrgreen: :P

skaternum
03-24-2005, 11:42 AM
My coach uses the chemical warmers. One of her other students made bootcovers that have a pocket on the inside for the coach's warmers. :idea: Now the warmers stay put and keep the coach's feet very happy.
That's a great idea! Where on the bootcover is the pocket?

CanAmSk8ter
03-24-2005, 11:48 AM
I find that when I'm teaching, I have to be really careful to tie my skates loosely, all the way down to the toes. I'd break my neck if I tried to train with them like that, but if I tie them tightly like I'm going out to practice my feet are numb in no time. When I'm practicing and moving around I don't usually have a problem.

LI Skate Mom
03-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't skate but my daughter does. I got chemical warmers that have tape in them - they are made to go inside clothes and taped them to the inside of her boot covers on the top by the toes - she says they kept her warm.

Thin-Ice
03-25-2005, 02:37 AM
That's a great idea! Where on the bootcover is the pocket?

She put the pocket on the inside of the bootcover so it covers the tongue of the skate.. and goes all the way down on the toe to just-past where the laces start.

vintagefreak
03-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Here is my experience with cold feeties. My old boots were a bit ill fitting and so I discovered wearing thin cotton socks helped prevent heel slippage (not recommending this to everyone, it just worked for me). I had no trouble with cold feet, either. Then I bought new boots and decided since they fit so well, I'd better go with something other than my cotton ones. Freeeeezing cold feet resulted every time. Today I decided to try some cotton socks again and wa-la, nice toasty feet but blisters were starting at the ankles and lace areas. I don't know which is worse at this point. I know the coldness is coming from the blade and it is a miserable feeling! I'm just now trying to figure out what to do about possibly a different insole. I was thinking that a trip to the Dr. Scholls area at Walmart might have something to help. I'll keep you posted!