View Full Version : New rink w/gym overlooking the rink?

jazzpants
03-21-2005, 12:08 PM
You'll have to excuse this person with a MAJOR case of AOSS for drooling... This is borrowed from another thread but we're not gonna talk about the politics behind the rink itself, okay? :)

http://www.artesiaicepalace.com/

On-site fitness center overlooking the rink??? *DROOL* Oh, what motivation to work out!!! :mrgreen: (Okay, so I have something similar to that. My gym is only a half block from my home rink, the trainers are very well qualified and I don't have to worry about the hockey guys gawking at me working out in my gym outfits.) :P Too bad it's missing 1) a restaurant (at least a snack bar) and 2) on ice ballet classes (in this rink's case. My rink has a dance room with barre and mirrors.)

If your rink has all of this PLUS more, I'd love to hear about it. (I know a couple of the other rinks in the Bay Area has 1) and 2), but no fitness center.

PattyP
03-21-2005, 01:18 PM
The big question is when is this place going to open?? It's right on my way to work and I'm looking forward to being able to sqeeze in some extra FS session when it opens. I hope it wont be crowded and expensive.

twokidsskatemom
03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
I think its to open this summer.What we would do for a place like that...

froggy
03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
In New York city, chelsea piers has many similiarities plus more check it out at www.chelseapiers.com They have 2 ice skating rinks, fitness center, gymnastics, off ice classes, indoor rock climbing, and many more sports (driving range, basketball, etc.) They have special FS sessions as well.

jazzpants
03-22-2005, 01:01 AM
In New York city, chelsea piers has many similiarities plus more check it out at www.chelseapiers.com (http://www.chelseapiers.com/) They have 2 ice skating rinks, fitness center, gymnastics, off ice classes, indoor rock climbing, and many more sports (driving range, basketball, etc.) They have special FS sessions as well.I've been at Chelsea Piers during Christmas last year!!! And yes, it was a HUGE fitness center!!! It was definitely a dream for me to be there that one day!!! (Too bad 17F that day...NOT counting wind chills!!! BRRRRR!!!!)

fadedstardust
03-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Well, it's been pushed back a lot of times, but right now the official word from the Kwan camp is that it's to open in April sometime. It's one sheet of ice, for freestyle, public, and hockey, and a lot of people will be moving to this rink from other area rinks, so I expect it to be VERY crowded, but maybe it won't be! We shall see. I hope some of the people on here get to enjoy it, it should turn out nicely! :)

Mrs Redboots
03-22-2005, 06:00 AM
Last October I skated at a rink complex where the gym overlooked the rink. Not nice, you could feel all these *eyes* sitting on their stationary bikes staring at you.....

All the same, having a rink in a sports complex is fantastic, as everything you want is on-site, and if your back is sore after skating you can go and swim a few lengths! I'm hoping that in four or five years' time, I'll be skating in a rink like that.

jazzpants
03-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Last October I skated at a rink complex where the gym overlooked the rink. Not nice, you could feel all these *eyes* sitting on their stationary bikes staring at you.....

All the same, having a rink in a sports complex is fantastic, as everything you want is on-site, and if your back is sore after skating you can go and swim a few lengths! I'm hoping that in four or five years' time, I'll be skating in a rink like that.Well, for what it's worth... I sorta have something like this (which is partly my motivation for posting this thread -- looking for options that are better than mine. So far Chelsea Piers beats mine, since there's two rinks and, well, at least one GOOD coach!!! :mrgreen: )

My home rink is a half block from my workout gym. (No, it wasn't coincidence that I've picked out this gym...the only minus is that the monthly dues are kinda high. But... I get what I pay for! :P ) My gym has very qualified trainers. (i.e. trainers have at least a BA in PE or an ACSM. They also have years of experience as a trainer.) In addition to the usual weights and machines, they have pilates, yoga, and a 3 lane lap pool too. Have clean showers, soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, hair dryers, lockers... Heck, we have a beauty salon and massage here too!!! :mrgreen:

Of course, I have to balance the benefits of not being able to overlook the gym while I'm on my eliptical trainer for inspiration vs. having *eye* peering at me when I'm on the ice doing really crappy on my moves, either. :P I'm happy with what I have overall...

coskater64
03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
I skate at a lovely rink, it has 2 surfaces, a huge gym, a climbing wall, tracks, a pool one for aerobics another for children w/ a slide and waterfalls. You can do weights or aerobic, pilates and tons of other classes, they also have ballet for the skaters. As I understand it is one of the most complete "rec centers" in Colorado since everything is under one roof, it is also pretty warm about 50 degrees in the rink. They have 10 changing rooms for hockey, and 2 zams so the ice is almost always busy.

I love this rink.

la :D :D :D