View Full Version : new blades?

froggy
03-19-2005, 10:37 PM
How do I know when I need new blades? Currently, I have a standard (inexpensive, I think under $50) blades that were mounted on my Riedells. I'm a beginner skater for about 6 months and I'm now working on FO 3 turns, mohawks, and improving my crossovers. I haven't started any jumps...well unless you count a bunny hop!

thank you!

iskatealot
03-20-2005, 07:27 AM
How do I know when I need new blades? Currently, I have a standard (inexpensive, I think under $50) blades that were mounted on my Riedells. I'm a beginner skater for about 6 months and I'm now working on FO 3 turns, mohawks, and improving my crossovers. I haven't started any jumps...well unless you count a bunny hop!

thank you!

With the level you are at I would think that you probably wont need higher level blades for a little while yet. When you start jumping that may change but the best person to ask would be your coach. Needing new blades because your old ones cant be used any more would depend on the number of times your blades have been sharpened. Im not sure how many sharpenings would be the max. on the blades that you have, but whoever sharpens your skates will be able to tell you. How often are you skating? If you are skating once or twice a week you should be able to get them sharpened every probably 6 -8 weeks because you wont be using them much..........at that rate your blades should last a min. of a year, so your abilities will probably need a new blade before your old one is no good. But the person to ask for a definite answer would probably be your coach.

Elsy2
03-20-2005, 07:27 AM
I also started with inexpensive blades with tiny toepicks, and did fine with them for a year. Maybe I kept them almost two years. Just be sure you get them sharpened regularly when you notice them being dull or nicked.

I did learn jumps with them too. Then I upgraded to Coronation Aces, and loved them. I wish I had upgraded sooner, so I would say after a year consider it.

samba
03-20-2005, 03:15 PM
I changed to Coronation Ace after one year of using the standard ones that come already attached to the cheapest boots, oh what a difference, it was like having a new pair of feet, all of a sudden I was getting more for my push with bigger and stronger edges. :D

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2005, 10:44 AM
I did after about a year, too (I forget, exactly), and wished I'd done it six months earlier, for the same reasons as Samba. Plus they didn't need sharpening nearly so often, especially once my then sharpener had had a preliminary "look" at them!