View Full Version : Adult Skating Workshop

hippo
03-17-2005, 06:32 PM
The Ice Works Skating rink is hosting it's 2nd Annual Adult Edge Workshop.

Date: Saturday, May 7, 2005
Time: 8:00am - 4:00pm
Place: Ice Works Skating Rink in Aston, PA. Aston is approximately 20 minutes away from the Philadelphia airport.

Scheduled presenters include: Uschi Keszler, Liz Manley, and Don Jackson.

Deadline for application: April 25th.

For more information or to register online:
http://www.iceworks.net/figure_iwsc.shtml

Or you can contact Elizabeth Hollett:
ehollet@iceworks.net
610-497-2200 x125

On a personal note, I did attend the Adult Edge Workshop last year, and I really enjoyed it. This is what I liked about the workshop:

- As with most workshops, there were different levels for jumps/spins/moves. Unlike most workshops where you are assigned a level based on your test level or highest jump, you got to pick which level in each individual area you want to work on. I know people who are good jumpers but bad spinners, or vice versa, or is completely moves-in-the-field-challenged (me!). By allowing you to select your own level, you can really hone in on the skills you really need some work on.

- This was the 2nd workshop that I got a chance to work with Liz Manley, and it is a treat every time. She is a wonderful person and a great coach. I always end up wishing that we had more time with Liz because we all had so much fun that it seemed as if the session just flew by.

- I like the all-Adult format. I've been to workshops with kids, and I felt totally out of place. This was more my comfort zone, and there's always a sense of comraderie when you get adult skaters together.

- I like the one-day format. That way you don't have to worry about getting sore after the first day and not being able to do anything on the 2nd day.

This year, they've added Don Jackson to the program. I have met him before, and he seems like a nice guy. I actually saw this guy do some double jumps. I don't know his exact age, but I'm figuring that he's WAY over 60. I'm really looking forward to working with him this year.

Skate@Delaware
03-18-2005, 07:48 AM
My husband are going. I am at USFSA Adult 3/4 (with some Freestyle 1) and he is Adult 1/2.

We have never been there before so we don't know anything about the rink-is it very cold (below 40) or normal cold (around 45)? Having been there last year-any ideas on what we should wear/bring besides the normal stretchy stuff (layers) and sneakers for the off-ice (do we need ballet shoes or anything unusual)?

I'm really looking forward to it. I have just started working on my single loop, but am only getting 3/4 the way round. :frus: and my spins suck and of course, our rink closes April 16th. :evil:

My husband is hoping for some good instruction on edges as well as some stretching/flexibility info. I think it will be good for him to see other adult skaters (besides me).

Can't wait to see everyone up there!

Terry

starskate6.0
03-18-2005, 09:29 AM
My husband are going. I am at USFSA Adult 3/4 (with some Freestyle 1) and he is Adult 1/2.

We have never been there before so we don't know anything about the rink-is it very cold (below 40) or normal cold (around 45)? Having been there last year-any ideas on what we should wear/bring besides the normal stretchy stuff (layers) and sneakers for the off-ice (do we need ballet shoes or anything unusual)?

I'm really looking forward to it. I have just started working on my single loop, but am only getting 3/4 the way round. :frus: and my spins suck and of course, our rink closes April 16th. :evil:

My husband is hoping for some good instruction on edges as well as some stretching/flexibility info. I think it will be good for him to see other adult skaters (besides me).

Can't wait to see everyone up there!

Terry

Hi Terry

Yes the rink can be cold at times ( its an ice rinK ;)) However it depends on the day, yesterday was OK and i had it to my self for the last session.
I will say sharp skates are a big advantage as they do play hockey there and the ice can be hard at times. I skate there every time I get a chance.

There is currently lots of ice time open during the day. All day figure skating if your interested, not many on the ice, a little quiet at the moment if you would like to visit. Speaking of which I have to go skate, talk to you later.

Ross.

phoenix
03-18-2005, 11:36 AM
No dance. :evil: :cry:

jenlyon60
03-18-2005, 12:31 PM
I was told by someone at Iceworks that Oleg Feduikov (spelling not right on his last name...) would be one of the coaches in the workshop.