View Full Version : can your boots change your feet?

sue123
03-14-2005, 08:29 AM
I skate in a pair of jackson's. When I bought them, I had absolutely no problem. I got them back in December, but lately they've been bothering me quite a bit. All my shoes are now big on me, and my feet seem wider. Every time I take my skates off, I have this immense pain on the outside of my feet, I think it might be because of pressure at those areas. But if that were the case, then shouldn't it have happened sooner? So is it possible that wearing skates a size smaller than the normal shoe size can squash your feet, making them smaller and squatter?

As a secondary question, should I go to the skate guy and get them stretched out at that area or should I see a podiatrist first to rule out any other foot problems?

nerd_on_ice
03-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Any shoes can change your feet, I think, and probably for the worse. When I did ballet as a kid, my feet got shorter in length because my arch got higher (weird but true). And now that I have custom boots that really fit, I'm more comfortable on the ice and I can skate better, but my feet are not getting any prettier.

It couldn't hurt to see a podiatrist. I don't know much about feet but it does seem strange that your feet would hurt when you remove your skates.

little_huskie
03-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Because I started skating so young, the bones across the top of my feet did no form properly (metata- somethings) because of the boot putting so much pressure on my feet. I hate feet anyway! 8O

skaternum
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Absolutely! Without dredging up the entire horror story, let me just say that a bad pair of boots (high end Jacksons, I'm sorry to say) were a major factor in the development of lower back, leg, and foot problems. 38 months of physical therapy, I'm still plugging away at getting everything back where it ought to be.

dbny
03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
My daughter has permanent bumps on the backs of her heels due to Riedells. After she got her custom Klingbeils they did get smaller, but will never go away completely. That particular problem is fairly common, as are "pump bumps", the enlarging of the bone (or callus) just above the arch.

slusher
03-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Skating alone can change your feet. I have a bunion type bump on the little toe side of my landing foot. It's as if my body has decided to make my foot wider, at that point for more landing area. Maybe partly because my boots are tight at that point the bumps develop in response to pressure, but it's definitely the pressure of landing on that outside edge that caused it in the first place. So I got my boot punched there and it doesn't hurt.

samba
03-15-2005, 12:27 PM
There's nothing more ugly than a skaters feet.

sue123
03-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Runners feet come pretty close. That constant pounding and sweating and the toes beating against the shoe, most serious runner have black toenails.

I think I may go see a podiatrist to see what's up though. because if my feet hurt after I take off my skates, I'm starting to think it might not be a boot problem. When I'll go is another story completely.

jazzpants
03-15-2005, 06:45 PM
There's nothing more ugly than a skaters feet.Try walking at the March of Dimes WalkAmerica!!! Worthy cause...but that will definitely kill your feet!!! :twisted:

Elsy2
03-15-2005, 08:58 PM
My daughter has permanent bumps on the backs of her heels due to Riedells. After she got her custom Klingbeils they did get smaller, but will never go away completely. That particular problem is fairly common, as are "pump bumps", the enlarging of the bone (or callus) just above the arch.

Have faith DBNY...it is possible for them to go away completely. My daughter had horrible ones from first few pairs of boots, Riedell and SP teri. After custom Harlick's held her heels in place finally, they got much smaller and now I don't feel them at all. But, she stopped skating altogether last summer.

dbny
03-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Have faith DBNY...it is possible for them to go away completely. My daughter had horrible ones from first few pairs of boots, Riedell and SP teri. After custom Harlick's held her heels in place finally, they got much smaller and now I don't feel them at all. But, she stopped skating altogether last summer.

My daughter stopped skating almost three years ago, and still has the bumps. It doesn't bother her though.

I have bumps on the tops of my big toes that did not cause a problem until this week. Monday the L suddenly started hurting, and I noticed that it has a point break in the skin right in the middle. I put a gel bandage on it today and didn't have any pain.

Kit kat
03-16-2005, 11:02 PM

ya! i have pump bumps. they never seemed to go away. i thought my bone was swollen. i hope it isnt someone too serious.

for the boot problem. i think you should go see the podiatrist. it wont hurt. and i guess that is just one of the pains in ice skating!

florence
03-17-2005, 07:03 AM

I totally agree.. ;)

When I'm at the beach I'm always trying to hide them under the sand :D

samba
03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
When I'm at the beach I'm always trying to hide them under the sand :D

You know what, I would love to wear open toe shoes or sandals but like yourself I'm always hiding my feet :oops: , the things we go through for the love of skating :roll:

dbny
03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
You know what, I would love to wear open toe shoes or sandals but like yourself I'm always hiding my feet :oops: , the things we go through for the love of skating :roll:

I never attempt to hide my feet. There are enough attractive things about me that are far more important than pretty toes. I don't waste my time on prettying up my feet, as I've never heard of a husband won or lost by ugly feet and certainly not a friend, job or anything else important. Besides, your feet are all the way at the other end from your eyes, do you find people bending over to get a better look at your feet???

russiet
03-18-2005, 07:40 AM
I never attempt to hide my feet. There are enough attractive things about me that are far more important than pretty toes. I don't waste my time on prettying up my feet, as I've never heard of a husband won or lost by ugly feet and certainly not a friend, job or anything else important. Besides, your feet are all the way at the other end from your eyes, do you find people bending over to get a better look at your feet???

I don't ever remember judging anyone's beauty by their feet, even at the beach. To me I just don't see why any one would paint there toe nails, either.

If anything I find myself liking an athletic looking foot (bumps & all) attached to an athletic woman.

That's one man's point of view.

skaternum
03-18-2005, 09:55 AM
I absolutely detest feet (mine and everyone else's)! I think most of them are hideous. Maybe it goes back to my old dancing days when pointe work did horrible things to them and modern dance casued them to crack from dancing barefoot on wood floors. Bleech!! Or maybe I've always been like that. My mom told me that I used to hate having my feet touched when I was a baby. I take care of my feet from a hygiene and practicality standpoint, but I refuse to try to make them look "pretty." That involves messing with them more than I want. :x And don't ever ask me to touch someone else's feet. Ugh.

Aside from my own personal hangups about feet, I've never understood how some women find the time for pedicures and polshing toe nails. Cripes! I have better things to do than try to get color on a tiny little toe nail, then let it dry. It's just gonna chip and peel off any way. ???

Wow, this thread has taken a weird turn, hasn't it?

dbny
03-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Cripes! I have better things to do than try to get color on a tiny little toe nail, then let it dry. It's just gonna chip and peel off any way. ???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel exactly the same way! I can't sit still for manicures either, and usually file my nails in the car when hubby is driving. It's a total waste of time that happens to be necessary.

SDFanatic
03-23-2005, 09:17 PM
My original boots were low end Jacksons, they hurt like heck until I had heel wedges put in to get my arch off of the bottom (prolapsing arches)

My SpTeris created a new bone spur on my left foot as well as some hardened patches of skin below my ankle bone.

In relevance, I lost a lot of weight from skaiting and my shoes didn't fit anymore and that is also why I bought new boots.

So yes, skating can change your feet.

Steven

dooobedooo
03-24-2005, 05:37 AM
Skating alone can change your feet. ....

Skating changed my feet. They are shorter, wider and chunkier, than they were before I took up skating. And my ankles are slimmer too. I think it was about 18 months before I noticed ...

tidesong
03-24-2005, 06:06 AM
I dont know if skating has changed my feet size, but I find that after getting used to the close fit in the skating boots, I've started wearing smaller sizes on my running shoes too, I used to like a bit of space, but I like them snug now.
However, skating definetly added two bumps to my feet:
I have a little bump at the back of my left foot... Its not very big and It doesnt cause any pain so I just ignore it. My right littlest toe has a small bump on it too and the nail's a bit wierd, but I dont really bother about my feet, I think you cant see most of the stuff if you arent looking for them anyways.

kittie067
03-24-2005, 06:01 PM
i dont know if skating's changed my feet personally, but i've only been skating for 4 years.

my feet were ugly to start with, so i dont think i could tell the difference! :oops:

but i hope nothing is wrong with your feet! hope everything turns out okay!

i would try to stretch them out tho, cuz my skates really hurt my feet on the bunion part until i stretched them out.

wait! maybe my bunions got bigger! 8O

~kittie

starskate6.0
03-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Good one dbny ,,,ha Ha .. The eye's have it.
starskate6.0

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Skating alone can change your feet. I have a bunion type bump on the little toe side of my landing foot. It's as if my body has decided to make my foot wider, at that point for more landing area. Maybe partly because my boots are tight at that point the bumps develop in response to pressure, but it's definitely the pressure of landing on that outside edge that caused it in the first place. So I got my boot punched there and it doesn't hurt.

I've developed the same type of 'bunion' on my landing foot and I've got to get my boot punched out soon-it hurts!

samba
03-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Sorry to say this but on the rare occassion that I wear sandals, yes it has been known for people to do just that, especially before I had surgery to my big toe as it got so bad it curled up at the end euww!! :oops: They even went so far as to point it out to me, as if I wasnt aware of it!!

Casey
03-25-2005, 02:08 AM
My feet have undergone all sorts of pains and weirdnesses since I started skating. First were raw sores on the top of the ankle joints, where the first skates I bought which had a very thin tongue material dug in. I covered them with bandaids which made them ignorable and kept skating anyways. Then I got the Klingbeils, and thus came the raw sores on the outsides of my heels from spots inside the boots which rubbed wrong, along with the half-deadened feet from the tongue edge pinching the nerves and leaving me with that fun "asleep" feeling in my foot, even after days of not skating. Oh, and my feet went completely numb a few times when I overtightened the skates and cut off circulation.

So, brand new Grafs, and I find the soles to be terribly uncomfortable. Not only that, but I get little pokes and blisters and raw spots on the fronts and tops of my toes for a while.

Ordered some nice new insoles from a website, and stick them in, then my arches start hurting like mad from the arch support pressing up too much in the center, especially when I take them off. I got used to it, or maybe the arches formed better to my feet, but then after a few weeks they started bugging me, so I put the original insoles back in and they seem fine now. Now on my left foot, I have a swollen sore spot on the outside ankle right where the top of the boot likes to press - it's real fun to try to skate with that, let me tell you. Not only that, but I got an insect bite just below the anklebone on the same side of the same foot, and then skating aggravated it and now it's a lovely raw sore spot too.

I have calluses at the oddest places around my feet, and lovely little wrinkle lines going diagonally across the sides of the heel. My feet are still quite fine though, and I don't mind them at all. No way would I stop skating. :D